Today Dino needs to be locked up | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Today Dino needs to be locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extend 4 years $15m. Graduated scale. $3.3m, $3.6m, $3.9m, $4.2m.
I would like to see significant bonuses, increased assistant $$$$ and a commitment to upgrade the football housing. I don’t think the sliding scale is unreasonable. The university can find the money, they don’t need donations. Bottom line it’s showing commitment.

Bees, how does it work if say he isn’t approached and he’s true to his word and not out there sniffing around at jobs? Wildhack will just rip up the contract w some bigger buyout? Did pasqualoni get more money after the Fiesta Bowl in 92/gator 96, Boeheim after 03? Just wondering what the precedent is for this at SU.

I would think if Wildhack has a true partner w Dino the discussion is figuring out how to strengthen the bones of the program which is housing, recruiting money, assistants. Cost of living in CNY is a fraction of southern cal, et al. I wonder if a slight bump in salary graduated even further w greater results is what he wants.

I don’t know the answers to your first paragraph and agree with your second.

Some people here will ignore these facts.
My question is
That's perfectly reasonable. That would take us through the 2025 season but that may be the hang-up in a negotiation. It was reported that Dino got a 6-year deal out the gate. That may also explain the large buy-out that's being reported. We gave him an extra year than most new coach deals and in return he gave us a bigger buy-out. His agent may want to re-work the buyout and/or blow up those last three years of the initial deal and negotiate an immediate raise for another 4-6 year re-up.
ok but why risk losing him. If he leaves we may be stuck again in another 20 yr crap show. I wouldn’t take any chances. We wanna be a top 20 team we need to pay top 20 money. Maybe u guys know more than I do about what he should get but I don’t want a top 40 team. He is perfect for us. Maybe John goes right too him and asks him what will it take to lock him up for good.

If anyone but the AD is getting a dime from the ACC TV money we got problems.
I will hit my source on this issue tomorrow. I could paying loans to the AD with interest but these egg schools deserve nothing from the TV money.
They do nothing to help earn it.
Giving them Dome concessions fine but that TV money is all Athletics.

Did you have a problem with every department at SU chipping in to pay for the BE buyout?

You know you’re wrong. General fund? That pays for coaches salaries?
Im not wrong. My point is simple. Syracuse can afford to pay Dino and his staff without donations.

Im not wrong. My point is simple. Syracuse can afford to pay Dino and his staff without donations.

Depends on the amount.

Depends on the amount.
Of course. Im not suggesting that we go crazy but just like the stadium improvements SU has the resources if it decides any investment is in its best interest.

Is someone complaint about football housing? I can tell you the university village is very nice. I see no need to upgrade that. The problem is the freshman right now don’t get to live there and get the other dorm apartments that aren’t that nice... but most of the players are living off campus now and not going to uv. I don’t think it’s quality of housing they are leaving for its to get off campus and away from the dorm inspections and rules. If they put the freshman in uv now that the upper classman go off campus the housing will be fine and no money spent.

Your final point. If we dont go all in on this guy it will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in SU sports.

Maybe my statement was poorly written. I think we should leverage future revenue streams to pay Dino because it’s a good investment.

once you start the escalation its hard to go back.. you pay Dino 4 Mill it will be 5 pretty soon if he does anything and if he stays 10 yrs are we gonna turn around and pay the next guy 2? if Dino does great then we are locked into an arms race at that point..

i think the discussion is all the other stuff and not just the money for him.. he already repeated over and over he turned down more money to come here.. pay him what he needs to compete and give him the resources to do all the little things and then give him solid money and I think he will be happy. Hopefully some JB rubs off on him and you dont need to making top dollar to be happy.

Is someone complaint about football housing? I can tell you the university village is very nice. I see no need to upgrade that. The problem is the freshman right now don’t get to live there and get the other dorm apartments that aren’t that nice... but most of the players are living off campus now and not going to uv. I don’t think it’s quality of housing they are leaving for its to get off campus and away from the dorm inspections and rules. If they put the freshman in uv now that the upper classman go off campus the housing will be fine and no money spent.

Lived in UV when I was a grad student. Loved it.

Did you have a problem with every department at SU chipping in to pay for the BE buyout?

The buyout was 7.5 million and I thought the agreement was to pay that over a series of years. Did we not use ACC money for that?

I thought all this funky accounting stuff stopped once Kent took over. I understand Buzz was cheap and Nancy/Gross spent like drunken sailors so this is surprising if true.

Last edited:
They gave loan and I said they could be paid back for the loan with interest.
They deserve none of the TV money.
Zero. Nada. Cero.
Those departments being made whole with interest is all they deserve.

The buyout was 7.5 million and I thought the agreement was to pay that over a series of years. Did we not use ACC money for that.

I thought all this funky accounting stuff stopped once Kent took over. I understand Buzz was cheap and Nancy/Gross spent like drunken sailors so this is surprising if true.

The school is supported by athletics historically. Have any of you walked on campus as a student? The Fiesta Bowl sponsored some room at Eggars for example. i hope it stays this way and the AD doesn’t turn out to be some silo’d Operation away from the academic mission of the school. I don’t want to be an SEC school. I want to be uniquely Syracuse and also win. But winning and becoming something like Louisville, no thanks. I’ll still root for my alma mader but my nose will be up.

I think there’s room for a re-up Dino and a school ascending academically. Duke has done it with K, we can with Dino.

The buyout was 7.5 million and I thought the agreement was to pay that over a series of years. Did we not use ACC money for that.

They gave money to the AD to help pay the 7.5 million but they deserve none of the TV money.
It’s beyond stupid for them to even ask for any.
They didn’t give that money to the AD for the BE exit fee. They made loans like you or I would get from a bank.

They gave loan and I said they could be paid back for the loan with interest.
They deserve none of the TV money.
Zero. Nada. Cero.
Those departments being made whole with interest is all they deserve.

You make it like it’s multiple corporations. It’s all Syracuse. A strong Syracuse across the board is healthy for all. I’d rather a strong Maxwell/Newhouse/Whitman over a strong football team ultimately. Thankfully we are getting both

The school is supported by athletics historically. Have any of you walked on campus as a student? The Fiesta Bowl sponsored some room at Eggars for example. i hope it stays this way and the AD doesn’t turn out to be some silo’d Operation away from the academic mission of the school. I don’t want to be an SEC school. I want to be uniquely Syracuse and also win. But winning and becoming something like Louisville, no thanks. I’ll still root for my alma mader but my nose will be up.

I think there’s room for a re-up Dino and a school ascending academically. Duke has done it with K, we can with Dino.

Yes I’m aware of the room. I had class in Eggers and I am an alum. I’m also on campus all the time as I live/work 10 minutes from it.

I’m not asking us to be Louisville. All I’m saying is the previous leadership in both Buzz and Nancy did us no favors. Buzz didn’t invest and Nancy spent too much. There can be a middle ground.

A lot of the academic departments haven’t managed their funds very well in the past either and we’re bloated with admin/staff when Kent took over.

They gave money to the AD to help pay the 7.5 million but they deserve none of the TV money.
It’s beyond stupid for them to even ask for any.
They didn’t give that money to the AD for the BE exit fee. They made loans like you or I would get from a bank.

I know this, but it wasn’t paid all at once so I don’t think much was borrowed as some seem to think.

You make it like it’s multiple corporations. It’s all Syracuse. A strong Syracuse across the board is healthy for all. I’d rather a strong Maxwell/Newhouse/Whitman over a strong football team ultimately. Thankfully we are getting both
Maxwell/Newhouse/Whitman have tuition and other resources of revenue that the Athletic department doesn’t.
Syracuse doesn’t give any student tickets to basketball and football.
They charge revenue for them the student activities fees other schools use to get money from them their students to subsidize the AD doesn’t happen at Syracuse.
The ACC TV money is generated by the football and basketball teams.
The schools deserve NONE OF IT. They do nothing to deserve it. Pay back the loans w/interest screw them after that.

Maxwell/Newhouse/Whitman don’t have tuition and other resources of revenue that the Athletic department doesn’t.
Syracuse doesn’t give any student tickets to basketball and football.
They charge revenue for them the student activities other schools use to get money from them their students to subsidize the AD doesn’t happen at Syracuse.
The ACC TV money is generated by the football and basketball teams.
The schools deserve NONE OF IT. They do nothing to deserve it. Pay back the loans w/interest screw them after that.

This is what I was kind of getting with in my previous post. Some of those academic departments had money problems themselves from what I’ve been told.

This is what I was kind of getting with in my previous post. Some of those academic departments had money problems themselves from what I’ve been told.
I know Newhouse is fine financially.
Whitman/Maxwell/ other departments charge insane tuition for Syracuse students they don’t deserve more money.
If the money was used to lower tuition the argument could atleast make some sense but we all know they aren’t going to lower tuition so screw them wanting athletics TV money.

If dino leaves it'd have to be to a place he see's himself having long term success and probably being his final stop. He's 57 now and has coached at a lot of different schools. If SU gives him the money he wants, why not make this his permanent home, ACC isn't super tough to win 7-9 games. It's not like he has huge commitments here like he would at other schools. He does his radio show and coaches the team. The only reason he leaves is if syracuse can't do that for him or another school can do it better. Does SU have big donors who could give him the 4-5 million a year he's probably looking for?

I know Newhouse is fine financially.
Whitman/Maxwell/ other departments charge insane tuition for Syracuse students they don’t deserve more money.
If the money was used to lower tuition the argument could atleast make some sense but we all know they aren’t going to lower tuition so screw them wanting athletics TV money.

How is one dept fine financially vs another. Are they selling T-shirt’s at Newhouse? Isn’t the entire operation a non profit show? The school charges a ton for sure and those academic schools need to be supported.

I think we look at higher learning completely different. I rather my school higher ranked academically than athletically. Having both occur will be a fantastic development which i think we can achieve but the school becomes so much more if it is a top 40 institution again and relevant in football/basketball. Paying Dino a slight uptick along w him getting the things that will make the program better, sign me up. If he’s buying in, the money will quietly get squared away and the housing/recruiting cash will be loudly marketed. It all comes down to him enjoying CNY as his final coaching destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom