Today Dino needs to be locked up | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Today Dino needs to be locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same place it went in the mid 90s when McNabb was here. Wildhack and the ADs office have done yeoman's work getting more money to stay in the AD coffers but it's still an uphill battle. We don't even get all the concession money made during games.
If anyone but the AD is getting a dime from the ACC TV money we got problems.
I will hit my source on this issue tomorrow. I could paying loans to the AD with interest but these egg schools deserve nothing from the TV money.
They do nothing to help earn it.
Giving them Dome concessions fine but that TV money is all Athletics.

I completely disagree.

With which part? The fact that we’re getting ACC Network money, Nike money, or that we should use some of that money to extend Dino.

With which part? The fact that we’re getting ACC Network money, Nike money, or that we should use some of that money to extend Dino.
Your final point. If we dont go all in on this guy it will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in SU sports.

The same place it went in the mid 90s when McNabb was here. Wildhack and the ADs office have done yeoman's work getting more money to stay in the AD coffers but it's still an uphill battle. We don't even get all the concession money made during games.
Yup and this is exactly why they finally need to invest in the damn football program. Money the athletic dept has earned has been going to the university fund for years. It’s time to be a big boy and pay a successful coach.

This is nauseating. If Syracuse cannot get to $4M per year with something comparable for assistants, then this is a waste of time.

Let’s just move on to the next meat head defensive coordinator as our next HC.

Football will ALWAYS be the biggest athletic money maker. If you are committing $100M+ to the Carrier Dome, you sure as hell better invest in the product that is going to most help payoff that debt. If not, then what the hell are they investing for?

The problem is as Bees pointed out SU isnt going to pay a premium for Babers unless there's an infusion of cash from a second source. I want Babers extended as bad anyone but if you think SU is going to pay him 5 mill + your going to be disappointed. I would love to be wrong and Wildhack I believe does "get it" but SU has shown zero inclination in the past that its willing to pony up big $$ for a HC.
Weve also never had the acc $ before so circumstances arent the same.

Guys I understand that Dino's value is north of $4. Probably $4.5 - $5

But my high end number of $4.1 ( you know, $3.6-$4.1) would put him at 22 nationally as of 2018, and third in ACC behind Dabo and Willie Taggert

Even $3.6 puts him 32 and only behind Clemson, FSU, and VaTech (Petrino was ahead but he is gone).

USA TODAY Sports

I imagine at the end of the day it will come in around $3.8m with a bunch of bonuses written in and a hefty buyout that drops each year.

There aren't many programs at $4m a year. I feel some of you aren't aware of the market rate currently.

This isn't fair. I'd be willing to wager that the majority of this board donates by going to games and buying tickets. By traveling to games that are within range of them getting to. Not many have the $ to make a dent in what you're saying.

It's SU's job to pinpoint those people and start cultivating those relationships. How many recent football players that have been in the NFL have donated large sums of money? I don't know, I'm just asking. Those would be where I'd look first and then start going to the older group who have hit their golden peaks of retirement/investment/asset accumulation.

Calling out the hardcore fanbase is likely not the answer.

I don’t disagree that they need to target other people. But I’m making the comment here because those are the people making impossible demands.

Or not. You always harp on the donation front which is a non starter. We are a small private university. We will never be in position to compete via private donations and you know thism SU on the other hand has an enormous amount of money in its general fund. It also has ACC money and ACC Network money. The administration needs to realize that Dino will more than pay for himself. He is worth his weight in Gold and Wild knows it. Donations are not needed.

You know you’re wrong. General fund? That pays for coaches salaries?

But my high end number of $4.1 ( you know, $3.6-$4.1) would put him at 22 nationally as of 2018, and third in ACC behind Dabo and Willie Taggert

Even $3.6 puts him 32 and only behind Clemson, FSU, and VaTech (Petrino was ahead but he is gone).

USA TODAY Sports

I imagine at the end of the day it will come in around $3.8m with a bunch of bonuses written in and a hefty buyout that drops each year.

There aren't many programs at $4m a year. I feel some of you aren't aware of the market rate currently.

Some people here will ignore these facts.

You know you’re wrong. General fund? That pays for coaches salaries?
I am just wondering as to why the AD's revenues can be raided by the general fund to be used for the rest of the university but the money never seems to flow from the general fund to the AD when it is needed?

Sounds like a ridiculously stupid one way street.

Can they raid Newhouse revenue to help pay for the Dome renovation?

Not to get too far up inside the discussion on how much more money we should pay Dino, but I think it's funny that the only site that has been heavily pushing a Dino-narrative (Louisville hoursdays) has now moved on to another Power 5 sitting head coach:

Louisville: There is mutual interest between Missouri head coach Barry Odom and Louisville regarding the open head coaching position with the Cardinals, according to hoursdays. (per The Scoop)

Kind of amusing considering Missouri is the job that wanted Babers out of BG and he turned down.

I agree he deserves more. The market for a coach like this is more. A lot more.

You guys might want to check the market.

What if we’re matching an offer?

Dino’s agent is going to talk to UNC, Louisville (or Purdue), Texas Tech, Colorado and any other P5 that opens up.

Problem is that there really isn’t a lot of leverage there. USC would have helped him, but the others don’t make as much sense.

Dino’s agent is going to talk to UNC, Louisville (or Purdue), Texas Tech, Colorado and any other P5 that opens up.

Problem is that there really isn’t a lot of leverage there. USC would have helped him, but the others don’t make as much sense.
Agreed, not a great lot of buyers this season, yet anyway.

Not to get too far up inside the discussion on how much more money we should pay Dino, but I think it's funny that the only site that has been heavily pushing a Dino-narrative (Louisville hoursdays) has now moved on to another Power 5 sitting head coach:

Louisville: There is mutual interest between Missouri head coach Barry Odom and Louisville regarding the open head coaching position with the Cardinals, according to hoursdays. (per The Scoop)

Kind of amusing considering Missouri is the job that wanted Babers out of BG and he turned down.

That's stunning to me. Odom is a Mizzou alum. He was on the hot seat big time last season, but got things headed in the right direction. But I also just found this:

Odom’s reported interest in the Louisville job could be his way of angling for a new contract at Mizzou. Heading into the current season, only seven Power 5 schools were paying their coaches less than Odom, according to USA Today’s annual salary report.

Folks are we forgetting the Wildhack interview from a few weeks ago? He seemed to put the conversation to rest on working to extend HCDFB. Nothing has changed. For all we know there is already agreed upon parameters and are just waiting for the season to end. Would bet the rent Wildhack and Babers agent have been talking for weeks and honing the proposal. No reason not to trust the AD here.

To add to this it appears Babers' buyout may be too substantial for non blue bloods this year; here's a quick excerpt on an article about Louisville's opening:

Appalachian State coach Scott Satterfield and Troy coach Troy Brown - a former Kentucky player and offensive coordinator - are other names high on the list, while Dino Babers has expressed interest but it appears his buyout may be too large.

USA TODAY Sports

$4.1 is perfectly fine. My issue was with the $3.5m.

Extend 4 years $15m. Graduated scale. $3.3m, $3.6m, $3.9m, $4.2m.

Bees, how does it work if say he isn’t approached and he’s true to his word and not out there sniffing around at jobs? Wildhack will just rip up the contract w some bigger buyout? Did pasqualoni get more money after the Fiesta Bowl in 92/gator 96, Boeheim after 03? Just wondering what the precedent is for this at SU.

I would think if Wildhack has a true partner w Dino the discussion is figuring out how to strengthen the bones of the program which is housing, recruiting money, assistants. Cost of living in CNY is a fraction of southern cal, et al. I wonder if a slight bump in salary graduated even further w greater results is what he wants.

Extend 4 years $15m. Graduated scale. $3.3m, $3.6m, $3.9m, $4.2m.

That's perfectly reasonable. That would take us through the 2025 season but that may be the hang-up in a negotiation. It was reported that Dino got a 6-year deal out the gate. That may also explain the large buy-out that's being reported. We gave him an extra year than most new coach deals and in return he gave us a bigger buy-out. His agent may want to re-work the buyout and/or blow up those last three years of the initial deal and negotiate an immediate raise for another 4-6 year re-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom