Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple things:

First off I wish TD all the best. He really does seem like a great kid that bleeds Orange. I really wish it would have worked out, but it was pretty obvious that Shrader just has that "it" factor that not everybody has. Not to be disrespectful but imo TD is one of those players that looks great in 7 v 7 , but when it comes game time will be inconsistent at best.

Also, I understand him transferring and will be rooting for him wherever he goes, but i don't get the point of transferring mid-season, especially after he just mentioned he wanted to use Jalen Hurts as a mentor. What happened in the last week where that changed? It's not like he's getting a year back. He knows as well as anybody that he is 1 play away from being right back on the field. i think that part is a big to Dino, and believe that is confirmed by his goodbye message.
Outside of Kent State he is learning a totally new system. The chances of him getting a starting P5 gig are low. So why pull the trigger now vs say the bye week?

If we lose the next two games, there is a good chance Dino is gone. The next HC might prefer Tommy. If we win the next two games there is a good chance we make a Bowl. Wouldn’t that be fun to stick around for even if you don’t play? If we split the next two games then transfer during the bye to not be a distraction.

Which I don’t get. Dino gave him a chance to keep this job even this year.

It wasn’t till Rutgers we all knew a change had to be considered.
I don’t get how Dino lied him.

Dino didn’t get him an OL last year but that isn’t an issue I would be hating the guy for.
If anything Dino screwed Shrader in the Ohio game by not giving him a meaningful series. He said he would play both but didn’t.

Dino didn’t get him an OL last year but that isn’t an issue I would be hating the guy for.
Got a feeling he’d help make most OL’s look even worse than they are.

See this year. Line magically got a lot better after the Rutgers game, eh?

A couple things:

First off I wish TD all the best. He really does seem like a great kid that bleeds Orange. I really wish it would have worked out, but it was pretty obvious that Shrader just has that "it" factor that not everybody has. Not to be disrespectful but imo TD is one of those players that looks great in 7 v 7 , but when it comes game time will be inconsistent at best.

Also, I understand him transferring and will be rooting for him wherever he goes, but i don't get the point of transferring mid-season, especially after he just mentioned he wanted to use Jalen Hurts as a mentor. What happened in the last week where that changed? It's not like he's getting a year back. He knows as well as anybody that he is 1 play away from being right back on the field. i think that part is a big to Dino, and believe that is confirmed by his goodbye message.

My guess is another P5 made some back channels connections and wants him to transfer now. That is just a guess but that is what I think happened.

Got a feeling he’d help make most OL’s look even worse than they are.

See this year. Line magically got a lot better after the Rutgers game, eh?

it wasn’t magic. And it hasn’t improved a lot but it has some based on team blocking grades. But that’s due to having Elmore back the last 3 games, who grades out as our 2nd best blocker behind Bergeron, and for the most part having Davis back the past 4 games. Another thing you can look at is when the QB drops back to pass, Devito was getting sacked 8.4% of the time. Shrader is getting sacked 8% of the time. That’s no real difference.

i posted like a week ago that given the shredders proclivity to run i was comfortable knowing we had a proven backup QB in tommy. guess that's out the window. shredder better learn to slide.
J Morgan threw for 63 percent in his 2 and a half games he played last year. And was 7/7 for like 59 yards or so before he got creamed due to a missed block by Servais

Now that he is no longer on the team let's cut to the chase. TD has all the physical attributes to be a very good, if not great college QB. Everything that is except a FB mind.

That doesn't equate to him being dumb as a post. Quite the contrary, he has received at least one All ACC academic honor, so we know he's a bright young man. But for what ever reason, when bright lights came on, he failed the P5 QB-101 course.

I really hope he figures it out where ever he ends up.
Lol. *now*

Agreed. And perhaps the more striking legacy will be why HCDB thought Tommy was "perfect" for his system when it's obvious he's primarily a pocket passer. The times we've looked best on offense are with a mobile QB who's a threat to run, ie; GS/ED. Tommy, with all due respect, was not durable enough to be that and the offense became one-dimensional with him in there. Obviously that was not his fault, but is yet another questionable decision by Dino.
TD was a great fit for what Dino said his O was going to be (and was at previous gigs), but Dino's O never worked out here. TD did not work out for multiple reasons, but none of them was a mismatch with Dino's system. If TD had succeeded like Garoppolo did at E. Illinois, no one would be wishing for a dual QB.

The reason so many here want a dual QB is because ED was great and ED was a dual threat, but he suceeded despite Dino's system not because of it.

At this point, I don't think Dino has an offensive strategy. I think he is being opportunistic by trying anything that might work, or Gilbert thinks up.

it wasn’t magic. And it hasn’t improved a lot but it has some based on team blocking grades. But that’s due to having Elmore back the last 3 games, who grades out as our 2nd best blocker behind Bergeron, and for the most part having Davis back the past 4 games. Another thing you can look at is when the QB drops back to pass, Devito was getting sacked 8.4% of the time. Shrader is getting sacked 8% of the time. That’s no real difference.
Important to note, that last year, we had NO overall P5 passing oline grades- save Dakota on run block.

For now? Starters with 3 passing grades on pass pro, with another just .2 behind. Same deal with run block. WHOLESALE improvement. That little improvement is obvious on the field.

Last edited:
Taj wasn't suspended. Folks are making stuff up to fit their narrative. Which they've made up. Thats all. Having a knee, and a couple other huge life changing condsiderations does not equal suspended.

Yes. Devito's situation is different.
I thought Taj got suspended the game after he gave the finger to the camera.

That last part I do not agree with, and I’ve seen it a couple times now. Like the coaches or players need to apologize for getting freaking hurt.

TD was a great fit for what Dino said his O was going to be (and was at previous gigs), but Dino's O never worked out here. TD did not work out for multiple reasons, but none of them was a mismatch with Dino's system. If TD had succeeded like Garoppolo did at E. Illinois, no one would be wishing for a dual QB.

The reason so many here want a dual QB is because ED was great and ED was a dual threat, but he suceeded despite Dino's system not because of it.

At this point, I don't think Dino has an offensive strategy. I think he is being opportunistic by trying anything that might work, or Gilbert thinks up.
Eastern Illinois was a power in their league coached by a hall of fame FCS coach who had a down cycle and was building back up for another FCS playoff run when he was retired and DB took over. They had superior talent to the rest of the teams in their league. Same thing at Bowling Green, Clawson left a league power with better talent relative to the other teams in the MAC. That's why his system flourished in those 2 situations. Syracuse has low level talent on the offense, especially on the line and at receiver and his approach won't work with that disparity. A good dual QB makes up for some of those weaknesses as we've seen with ED and now GS.

Shrader has played 3 ACC games: one against Wake, who is considered in the top 2 or 3 teams in the league and the other 2 against FSU and Clemson who put the most highly recruited defensive teams on the field.

Last edited:
My guess is another P5 made some back channels connections and wants him to transfer now. That is just a guess but that is what I think happened.
Transfer mid semester?

Shrader has plated 3 ACC games: one against Wake, who is considered in the top 2 or 3 teams in the league and the other 2 against FSU and Clemson who put the most highly recruited defensive teams on the field.

wake and FSU are 10th and 12th in the ACC in defense.

wake and FSU are 10th and 12th in the ACC in defense.
None the less, FSU has 4 and 5 star athletes rushing the passer. I don't think Wake got to him as much, but their decent and have that NFL end prospect.

FSU has the league sack leader. Johnson has 7 sacks. I believe Wake as a team also is among league leaders in sacks.
Correct. And we’re still somewhat weak in giving up sacks. I think we’re 10th. But that gets away from the point that getting Davis and Elmore back are the main reason for improved blocking the last 4 games.

Correct. And we’re still somewhat weak in giving up sacks. I think we’re 10th. But that gets away from the point that getting Davis and Elmore back are the main reason for improved blocking the last 4 games.
Yes, but I think the OL has been huge improvement over the past two seasons from the start.

Yes, but I think the OL has been huge improvement over the past two seasons from the start.

no doubt at all.

J Morgan threw for 63 percent in his 2 and a half games he played last year. And was 7/7 for like 59 yards or so before he got creamed due to a missed block by Servais
Don’t know what game you watched, Morgan was 5-12 for 40 yards with a pick when Servais almost got him killed

Will be interesting to see where he lands. I think he'll have more options than most here think. He should go to the school with greatest opportunity no matter the level if he wants snaps and tape.

As far as him leaving, he's already graduated and wanted to jump start the next part of the process. Makes total sense from his perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom