Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mildly surprised because he'd already burned his redshirt year so leaving early didn't preserve a year of eligibility. I think he looked at a game where we had our quarterback run 7 times and pass 37 times and wondered why it wasn't him.
of course you could also see in that game 5-7 of those throws were on plays its doubtful he even escapes enough to get a throw off.

Rightly or wrongly, I've never backed off giving my honest opinion on this forum. If I felt it was only a racial issue, I would say that- point blank.
I do feel that the reaction to Taj leaving mid-season, was far different than that to TD doing the absolute same. Also, the fact is not lost on me that Taj was also a butthole at times, and maybe that colors some of the things being said, after all Jarveon Howard left and that reaction wasn't as hostile.
Frankly, the reasons why they left should not color that perspective- they both left, ie' "abandoned" the team for selfish reasons, IMO. It's their right to do so, and the mechanism allows for it. Godspeed.
And as I've suggested in other posts in this thread, this isn't some hyper-sensitive take based on simplistic assumptions... and that's the last I'm gonna say about that. JMHO

You are dropping a bomb on a few people's opinions and then declaring, "I am done with this conversation that was highly controversial to begin with".

I look at it this way: TD, at least i don't recall, was never petulant or did anything to embarrass the university. He came in as the chosen one and represented himself well. I look at that as a good thing and expected of all players given the opportunity to get a 300k education.

Taj was immature and at times represented the school like a complete baby. However you want to paint me for giving an example of Taj and negativity and TD and positivity is up to you.

As I've reconciled since the NIL decision, these guys are pros now. I'll be critical of both for leaving midseason. They were given scholarships (contracts) and abandoned their teams. I'm hoping they both graduated because that is a forever thing. Going to play at Kent St is a near term happiness thing. Neither guy will be playing on Sundays

well also to be fair (and in hindsight I hated the Martin hire) but it's not uncommon for coaches to make the jump from big time HS football to D1. It just didn't work out for us and unfortunately QB coach is sort of important.

This move was more of a favor for what I can read between the lines with, as he was Kodas father (who if you remember transferred in from Texas A&M)

One the best success stories from high school coach to college then the NFL was Kerry Coombs who went from Colerain High School (Cincy Suburb) to Cincinnati to the Ohio State to the Titans as a DB coach now back with Ohio State.

You are dropping a bomb on a few people's opinions and then declaring, "I am done with this conversation that was highly controversial to begin with".

I look at it this way: TD, at least i don't recall, was never petulant or did anything to embarrass the university. He came in as the chosen one and represented himself well. I look at that as a good thing and expected of all players given the opportunity to get a 300k education.

Taj was immature and at times represented the school like a complete baby. However you want to paint me for giving an example of Taj and negativity and TD and positivity is up to you.

As I've reconciled since the NIL decision, these guys are pros now. I'll be critical of both for leaving midseason. They were given scholarships (contracts) and abandoned their teams. I'm hoping they both graduated because that is a forever thing. Going to play at Kent St is a near term happiness thing. Neither guy will be playing on Sundays
LOL. Love that 1st line, so I had to respond.
Naw, I just feel I've said all I had to say- sometimes its best to agree to disagree and walk.

Reading through all this reminds me back in Tommy's SR season when he had a game where he was absolutely awful. 7-21 and some turnovers etc. I can't remember whether Bosco won but I also remember wondering how such an elite pocket passer prospect could have such a poor game. If I recall his dad was here blaming everyone else for that performance. It quickly fell to being forgotten especially after he came in vs UNC and FSU. Some of that was lost in the ND game but chalked up to an elite opponent and a young QB.

I look back at that one game and the concern it was more representive of performance under pressure and wish that one little stomach pain of worry wasn't accurate.

LOL. Love that 1st line, so I had to respond.
Naw, I just feel I've said all I had to say- sometimes its best to agree to disagree and walk.
Walk if you want but you still didn't address one major point. Taj was the team's #1 WR. Devito was the backup QB for a system he wasn't recruited for and for all we know may have lost his backup role to Morgan so that the coaches didn't have to keep a 2nd gameplan just for Tommy. Completely different situations and you're acting like it's apples to apples. It's really REALLY not, for SOOOOOOOOO many reasons.

Wish Tommy the best wherever he ends up but you have to look at his metrics/won & loss record and that tells you why it is better he leaves now instead of festering any issues in the locker room.

I see him at Delaware, Towson or even a school like Fordham.

of course you could also see in that game 5-7 of those throws were on plays its doubtful he even escapes enough to get a throw off.

what would have happened to him if he didn’t get the throw off? Get sacked?

Me? Never.

I thought that’s how one reacts to mid season transfers
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Can you imagine the temper tantrums Taj would have after a Shrader dead duck pass? Lol
No different than the Culpepper ones last year or the Welch ones the year before.

what would have happened to him if he didn’t get the throw off? Get sacked?
like most of the time he was our QB. Wasn't his fault we had an inadequate OL. Class act. Good Luck!

Agreed. And perhaps the more striking legacy will be why HCDB thought Tommy was "perfect" for his system when it's obvious he's primarily a pocket passer. The times we've looked best on offense are with a mobile QB who's a threat to run, ie; GS/ED. Tommy, with all due respect, was not durable enough to be that and the offense became one-dimensional with him in there. Obviously that was not his fault, but is yet another questionable decision by Dino.
Now that he is no longer on the team let's cut to the chase. TD has all the physical attributes to be a very good, if not great college QB. Everything that is except a FB mind.

That doesn't equate to him being dumb as a post. Quite the contrary, he has received at least one All ACC academic honor, so we know he's a bright young man. But for what ever reason, when bright lights came on, he failed the P5 QB-101 course.

I really hope he figures it out where ever he ends up.

Rightly or wrongly, I've never backed off giving my honest opinion on this forum. If I felt it was only a racial issue, I would say that- point blank.
I do feel that the reaction to Taj leaving mid-season, was far different than that to TD doing the absolute same. Also, the fact is not lost on me that Taj was also a butthole at times, and maybe that colors some of the things being said, after all Jarveon Howard left and that reaction wasn't as hostile.
Frankly, the reasons why they left should not color that perspective- they both left, ie' "abandoned" the team for selfish reasons, IMO. It's their right to do so, and the mechanism allows for it. Godspeed.
And as I've suggested in other posts in this thread, this isn't some hyper-sensitive take based on simplistic assumptions... and that's the last I'm gonna say about that. JMHO
I have no problem with Howard leaving. His choice. After sitting out last season - also his choice - he found himself 4th on the depth chart early. I still think he would have worked up to #2 or #3 but I guess that wasn’t enough. I didn’t like him leaving so early in the season. I don’t think it serves him. He will have sat out basically two entire years before he takes the field again someplace else.

Pretty disappointed to hear Babers say leaving now does not change his playing status. Meaning he is quitting the team without anything to gain. Selfish move, not a team player. If the above is true do it at the end of the season.

Pretty disappointed to hear Babers say leaving now does not change his playing status. Meaning he is quitting the team without anything to gain. Selfish move, not a team player. If the above is true do it at the end of the season.
That’s a fair argument.

i posted like a week ago that given the shredders proclivity to run i was comfortable knowing we had a proven backup QB in tommy. guess that's out the window. shredder better learn to slide.

I don’t think it’s racial one bit. Tommy is easy to root for. He gave everything he had. Taj is the exact opposite and isn’t someone most people can get behind.

A couple things:

First off I wish TD all the best. He really does seem like a great kid that bleeds Orange. I really wish it would have worked out, but it was pretty obvious that Shrader just has that "it" factor that not everybody has. Not to be disrespectful but imo TD is one of those players that looks great in 7 v 7 , but when it comes game time will be inconsistent at best.

Also, I understand him transferring and will be rooting for him wherever he goes, but i don't get the point of transferring mid-season, especially after he just mentioned he wanted to use Jalen Hurts as a mentor. What happened in the last week where that changed? It's not like he's getting a year back. He knows as well as anybody that he is 1 play away from being right back on the field. i think that part is a big to Dino, and believe that is confirmed by his goodbye message.

A couple things:

First off I wish TD all the best. He really does seem like a great kid that bleeds Orange. I really wish it would have worked out, but it was pretty obvious that Shrader just has that "it" factor that not everybody has. Not to be disrespectful but imo TD is one of those players that looks great in 7 v 7 , but when it comes game time will be inconsistent at best.

Also, I understand him transferring and will be rooting for him wherever he goes, but i don't get the point of transferring mid-season, especially after he just mentioned he wanted to use Jalen Hurts as a mentor. What happened in the last week where that changed? It's not like he's getting a year back. He knows as well as anybody that he is 1 play away from being right back on the field. i think that part is a big to Dino, and believe that is confirmed by his goodbye message.
Which I don’t get. Dino gave him a chance to keep this job even this year.

It wasn’t till Rutgers we all knew a change had to be considered.
I don’t get how Dino lied him.

Dino didn’t get him an OL last year but that isn’t an issue I would be hating the guy for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom