Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather it on here. I can see a WHOLE Lotta dirt coming out. Some of it If, true. If not here, I expect Bailey to write the article - with no context. Hopefully, Tommy can stop him. Tommy has been a class act, and I wish him well. I do think he'll succeed, elsewhere.
Yep, Bailey has been carrying the old man's water since TD's commitment after their first phone call.

let's be real. neither shredder or devito are NFL caliber QB'S . so get your glory reps while you can.memories.
(and learn to speak canadien )

I also see this becoming much more common with the transfer portal as it has become. A QB is used to being a star, and teams are going to have trouble holding onto a really stellar backup QB. That being said. I really like Jacobian last season. He may even have more potential for us. So we do have a very decent backup.

I think Jacobian's game is more similar to Garrett's and so he may be a more logical back-up to him in this offense.

I wonder if Kent St is gonna be an option for him, think he’d light up the MAC if he decided to go that route.

That seems like the 'Home for former SU players'

1634572309019.png

Morgan.

Lamson won't see any action until the last 4 games, if then.

**Edit** Knowing SU, Tommy will still be listed as QB2.

And they'll spell it Di Veto.

I'm not "implying" anything- far be it for me to accuse folks of something based on conjecture. But there is a term for what I feel is happening here. It's the same pre-disposed notion that certain kids are "lunch pail", "gritty", "gutty", "wily", and "get the most from their abilities", while others are "prima donnas", "naturally gifted", and "lack a sense of focus". As fans we've been party to these dog-whistles for years and it would not surprise me in the least if some of these comments are not coming from that particular place.
Implicit bias is real, and I think we should all step back and dissect what and why we're posting certain narratives, and get real w/ ourselves. JMHO
You're certainly implying something, at least be honest about that. I get it, you think people don't like Taj, and are more sympathetic to Tommy, because of race. Just say that, we're all adults here.

I can only speak for myself, but I've spilled a lot of virtual ink on this board criticizing DeVito. I also didn't say I was sad to see him leave. I've done the same with Taj.

noticed that tommy always kept his helmet on all game. is that unusual for a backup ?

Two things.

1st...leaving mid-season is BS. You can say crap like well it's the new rules or whatever you want to justify it but let's face reality. Is it ok to walk into your job and just quit? Rules say you can. You won't get arrested for doing it. Doesn't make it right though does it? Even if a company can call you into the conference room and lay you off without notice, most people still try to give notice when leaving, yes or no? Change the rules and stop this nonsense.

2nd...I will wish TD the best moving forward. He gave everything he had to us and it didn't work out. No I won't say that about Taj and for those who care it's not about race. It's about Taj sticking up his middle finger, throwing his arms up in the air, and quitting because somebody else was going to throw the football. That's baby stuff to me. He needs to grow up. I don't see that with TD and he didn't quit until he was told his services were no longer needed. Huge difference.

I was really hoping for a redemption story. DeVito has a monster 3,000 yard/30 TD season, rides off with a bowl win and takes his shot at the NFL...

Not happening here now though.

On paper this was a match made in heaven. In reality, it just never came together.

I do think DeVito got hosed by a few things. Martin as a QB coach for a while was... not the strongest staffing. The OL was bad. Yes, I agree, some of the sacks were on TD, but the OL was rough. It was. TD did make some strides as a player, they just weren't enough, or in the places where we needed them to be, so he didn't get credit for his growth.

He's going to have an odd legacy here. His dad doesn't make it easy on himself, but if he feels betrayed a bit, I would understand it. This didn't work out as envisioned. They put trust in Babers and it just didn't pan out.

Agreed. And perhaps the more striking legacy will be why HCDB thought Tommy was "perfect" for his system when it's obvious he's primarily a pocket passer. The times we've looked best on offense are with a mobile QB who's a threat to run, ie; GS/ED. Tommy, with all due respect, was not durable enough to be that and the offense became one-dimensional with him in there. Obviously that was not his fault, but is yet another questionable decision by Dino.

Sort of agree with the difference in the Taj and Tommy comments. I also agree that players are people and need to do what is best for them while they have these opportunities to play.
I think one reason for making this announcement in the middle of the season is to get a jump on the opportunities from other teams. With the newer transfer rules, some players will be left with no where to go, or not good choices. By announcing now he has a better chance of getting offers before it gets crowded in the transfer portal. I don't see this is quitting on the team, but I see it as taking care of yourself and making the decisions that are best for you. And yes it is a team sport, but they are now allowed to do this, and so they are going to do it. Maybe the rules need to be dialed back just a little bit.
You make some very good points that others have missed.

I forgot-It was Devito who threw frequent tantrums during games and put up his middle finger to the cameras. Devito handled several difficult situations with class, Taj's behavior was often the opposite of class. While people were disappointed when Jarveon put his name in the portal, I don't remember people having a similar reaction as they did to Taj. I know in today's environment everything is about race, but that has zero to do with anything and the accusation is offensive.
Fair enough. I stand by my perspective. JMHO

You're certainly implying something, at least be honest about that. I get it, you think people don't like Taj, and are more sympathetic to Tommy, because of race. Just say that, we're all adults here.

I can only speak for myself, but I've spilled a lot of virtual ink on this board criticizing DeVito. I also didn't say I was sad to see him leave. I've done the same with Taj.
Rightly or wrongly, I've never backed off giving my honest opinion on this forum. If I felt it was only a racial issue, I would say that- point blank.
I do feel that the reaction to Taj leaving mid-season, was far different than that to TD doing the absolute same. Also, the fact is not lost on me that Taj was also a butthole at times, and maybe that colors some of the things being said, after all Jarveon Howard left and that reaction wasn't as hostile.
Frankly, the reasons why they left should not color that perspective- they both left, ie' "abandoned" the team for selfish reasons, IMO. It's their right to do so, and the mechanism allows for it. Godspeed.
And as I've suggested in other posts in this thread, this isn't some hyper-sensitive take based on simplistic assumptions... and that's the last I'm gonna say about that. JMHO

Last edited:
I still think that Tommy looks like this guy:

1634576563537.png
1634576577265.png

...and probably has the same attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13