Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know what game you watched, Morgan was 5-12 for 40 yards with a pick when Servais almost got him killed
That’s my mistake. I misread ESPN’s stats for him lol. Only thing I remembered from that game was him getting anihilated

Tommy should transfer to Princeton. It’s close to home, they throw the ball around, and they win championships. He could work on his game and get a MA or MS from one of the best schools on earth.

I'm not "implying" anything- far be it for me to accuse folks of something based on conjecture. But there is a term for what I feel is happening here. It's the same pre-disposed notion that certain kids are "lunch pail", "gritty", "gutty", "wily", and "get the most from their abilities", while others are "prima donnas", "naturally gifted", and "lack a sense of focus". As fans we've been party to these dog-whistles for years and it would not surprise me in the least if some of these comments are not coming from that particular place.
Implicit bias is real, and I think we should all step back and dissect what and why we're posting certain narratives, and get real w/ ourselves. JMHO
Bombay you’re definitely right about implicit bias and sports dog whistles we’ve all heard for years but what you’re not factoring into this situation is Taj’s terrible behavior. He acted like a spoiled brat mid games for all of us to see. He brought this animosity on himself.
Notice there hasn’t been any vitriol for Jarveon Howard because he didn’t act a fool in front of the cameras.
While Tommy had his warts he was never anything less than a good solider

Tommy should transfer to Princeton. It’s close to home, they throw the ball around, and they win championships. He could work on his game and get a MA or MS from one of the best schools on earth.
I'm pretty sure the Ivy league only allows undergraduates to play

Tommy needs to go to a team that has better than average talent in that league and plays a passing offense.

Does it take awhile for his name to appear in the portal? I looked up NCAA transfer portal and I do not see his name listed.

That’s my mistake. I misread ESPN’s stats for him lol. Only thing I remembered from that game was him getting anihilated

he was 7/7 the very first game he got playing time.

he started BC and it's a game we only lost 16-13. He was better than Culpepper by a large margin.

The LVille game his 5-12 wasn't as bad as it seems. We got killed in other areas like Nykiem fumbling a kickoff but when I went back and watched it (up until Servais gets Morgan killed), Morgan wasn't playing that bad. As per usual we couldn't run or block.

I'm comfortable with Morgan as the number two (he reminds me of Kevin Mason). My bigger worry would be Gilbert calling a game (on the fly) that fits his QBs skill sets.

Last edited:
he was 7/7 the very first game he got playing time.

he started BC and it's a game we only lost 16-13. He was better than Culpepper by a large margin.

The LVille game his 5-12 wasn't as bad as it seems. We got killed in other areas like Nykiem fumbling a kickoff but when I went back and watched it (up until Servais gets Morgan killed), Morgan wasn't playing that bad. As per usual we couldn't run or block.

I'm comfortable with Morgan as the number two (he reminds me of Kevin Mason). My bigger worry would be Gilbert calling a game (on the fly) that fits his QBs skill sets.
If Lamson is closer to Shrader's skill set then we just need to make it through the next 2 games. With 3 extra weeks of prep, Lamson should be ready if need be by Louisville. And he wouldn't lose the redshirt. But hopefully Shrader takes every snap here on out.

Without going through ten pages…any offer

Feel like Devito is made for a USC/Miami type program where it's run in a pro style offense. Not sure what their QB situations are so i'm spitballing completely but he's the type of guy who could and should find a program that develops NFL drop back qbs.

Does it take awhile for his name to appear in the portal? I looked up NCAA transfer portal and I do not see his name listed.
There is an official release form from the school but the NCAA transfer portal twitter usually will post the "goodbye/farewell" tweets. Probably just slow to post.

TD is gone. Good luck to him

I never felt that he had the instincts to be a good QB in this or any other program. It's not just about throwing mechanics. Some just don't have the game instincts and awareness necessary.

If Lamson is closer to Shrader's skill set then we just need to make it through the next 2 games. With 3 extra weeks of prep, Lamson should be ready if need be by Louisville. And he wouldn't lose the redshirt. But hopefully Shrader takes every snap here on out.

I'm good with Morgan. I saw him play in college games and he looked poised, and now has a year and a spring under his belt. A lot of unfounded hype for Lamson...he barely played QB in HS. Just reeks of setting the kid up to fail.

Last edited:
Feel like Devito is made for a USC/Miami type program where it's run in a pro style offense. Not sure what their QB situations are so i'm spitballing completely but he's the type of guy who could and should find a program that develops NFL drop back qbs.

Van Dyke (another of our missed QB targets) is starting at Miami now with Kings injury and they suck.

Tommy DeVito has been a class act his entire time at Syracuse. It somes as no surprise he leaves the same way. I wish him the best and will be rooting for him wherever he winds up.

Thanks Tommy, pob lwc, bora fortuna, bonne chance, Viel Glück, held og lykke - good luck, can't say it enough.

This is what Tommy’s dad wrote elsewhere when Taj left.
It sounds similar to the Bill Scharr scenario many moons ago. I talked with a family friend of Scharr's who accused the SU coaches of lying about altering the offense to suit his style of a pure dropback passer.

I'm good with Morgan. I saw him play in college games and he looked poised, and now has a year and a spring under his belt. A lot of unfounded hype for Lamson...he barely played QB in HS. Just reeks of setting the kid up to fail.

I am not buying his roster measurables either. He looks small on the sidelines to me as well. Kid needs some time. Morgan is probably clear #2 right now as well

I'm not "implying" anything- far be it for me to accuse folks of something based on conjecture. But there is a term for what I feel is happening here. It's the same pre-disposed notion that certain kids are "lunch pail", "gritty", "gutty", "wily", and "get the most from their abilities", while others are "prima donnas", "naturally gifted", and "lack a sense of focus". As fans we've been party to these dog-whistles for years and it would not surprise me in the least if some of these comments are not coming from that particular place.
Implicit bias is real, and I think we should all step back and dissect what and why we're posting certain narratives, and get real w/ ourselves. JMHO
I don't necessarily disagree with the broader premise, but it does sound like you're implying racism is the reason behind the different treatment on here between Taj and Tommy.
If someone were to base an opinion solely from watching SU games, there is enough evidence to support a negative view of Taj and a positive view of Tommy. We only saw one of them flip off the camera. We only saw one of them gesturing after missed communication/passes.
So, while there may be some racial bias at play, I don't think it fits the narrative for everyone in this case.
Also, when did the compliment of "naturally gifted" became racist. Lionel Messi is naturally gifted. Michael Phelps is naturally gifted. Usain Bolt is naturally gifted. Shaquille O'Neal is naturally gifted. Tom Brady is naturally gifted. I am not naturally gifted. At least not in the way I needed to be a D1 athlete. No matter how hard I worked, I could never get to 6'4" or get 4.4 speed.

I don't necessarily disagree with the broader premise, but it does sound like you're implying racism is the reason behind the different treatment on here between Taj and Tommy.
If someone were to base an opinion solely from watching SU games, there is enough evidence to support a negative view of Taj and a positive view of Tommy. We only saw one of them flip off the camera. We only saw one of them gesturing after missed communication/passes.
So, while there may be some racial bias at play, I don't think it fits the narrative for everyone in this case.
Also, when did the compliment of "naturally gifted" became racist. Lionel Messi is naturally gifted. Michael Phelps is naturally gifted. Usain Bolt is naturally gifted. Shaquille O'Neal is naturally gifted. Tom Brady is naturally gifted. I am not naturally gifted. At least not in the way I needed to be a D1 athlete. No matter how hard I worked, I could never get to 6'4" or get 4.4 speed.

Yeah, I think nowadays, people are looking waaaay too hard for reasons to feel aggrieved.
And thinking positive things about one player, and less positive about another, is not (necessarily)due to racism.

Taj's behaviors (really: antics) were very bad, and on numerous occasions.
See: flipping the bird to the crowd, for Exhibit A.

Conversely, I don't recall Tommy being demonstrative about his WR's dropping sooo fff'm many perfect passes that hit them right in the GD hands, like once. Ever.
When, frankly, he had every right to be more than a little pissed off.

I'll use some hoops examples - I always thought Devo was a thug when he played for us.
NOT a fan of his behavior, even though he was really excellent at basketball.
(I really love him now, he's matured sooo much since his playing days, has become an excellent role model and human being.)

I'm a white guy (I know, you never woulda guessed it! :p ), and there's hardly any white Cuse players in my all-time hoops favorites.
Old-school: Sherm & Stevie
This last decade or so: CJ, Wes, Eli (I'll give Marek an Honorable Mention)

TD was a great fit for what Dino said his O was going to be (and was at previous gigs), but Dino's O never worked out here. TD did not work out for multiple reasons, but none of them was a mismatch with Dino's system. If TD had succeeded like Garoppolo did at E. Illinois, no one would be wishing for a dual QB.

The reason so many here want a dual QB is because ED was great and ED was a dual threat, but he suceeded despite Dino's system not because of it.

At this point, I don't think Dino has an offensive strategy. I think he is being opportunistic by trying anything that might work, or Gilbert thinks up.
We had a competent 1 deep on the OL in 2018 with a few decent depth pieces, but Dungey's creativity and athleticism made it even stronger and helped to make up for gaps when the starters were out due to injury. In 2019, you remove Conway and Koda, AND you remove a dual threat QB option and the whole thing imploded. And our recruiting for the line 2016-2018 or lack thereof (some due to injury, some due to not panning out) really showed making 2020 even worse.

Having a pocket passer here doesn't leave much margin for error for OL misses, and this offense is perfectly competent with a dual threat additional running option. So hopefully Dino has learned from that and that's what we'll see going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom