Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's a story we're only going to hear one side of. Having to do a zoom with Tommy and his parents where they show charts about him being the least protected QB sounds like a fate worse than death.

The only part that makes me slightly curious about Dino, again if all true, is not making any moves on the offensive linemen that he recommended to the staff. You never want inmates running your asylum, but at the same time, referrals can turn into gold if you check them out.

In any event, I'm sure a huge weight has been lifted off Dino's shoulders. Get a win this weekend, and put all of this in the rear view mirror.

It's a story we're only going to hear one side of. Having to do a zoom with Tommy and his parents where they show charts about him being the least protected QB sounds like a fate worse than death.

The only part that makes me slightly curious about Dino, again if all true, is not making any moves on the offensive linemen that he recommended to the staff. You never want inmates running your asylum, but at the same time, referrals can turn into gold if you check them out.

In any event, I'm sure a huge weight has been lifted off Dino's shoulders. Get a win this weekend, and put all of this in the rear view mirror.
And POUND THE PORTAL!

Tommy never really had a chance. His father was on here setting unrealistic expectations long before TD signed his LOI.

I can't imagine how conflicted he must have been attempting to balance being a good team mate with meeting his father's crazy goals.

Tommy never really had a chance. His father was on here setting unrealistic expectations long before TD signed his LOI.

I can't imagine how conflicted he must have been attempting to balance being a good team mate with meeting his father's crazy goals.

Yeah, kinda feel bad for the kid. Probably making friends with teammates, and calls home and his dad is bashing them all.

Didn’t see someone already posted this when I created a new thread….

Let me preface this by saying I have been very consistent in saying that JW is going to have to take a very long look at Dino after this season and I do think a change should be made…

But this article is even more reason I am glad TD is gone. Could have continued to take the high road instead decided to throw Dino and his staff under the bus. All one-sided hearsay that he knows Dino will never get a chance to comment on. There are so many red flags in this story that if I was a coach considering taking TD for a year, I’d move on so fast. It’s amazing Dino kept him as the starter after he and his family demanded all these meetings and presented these goofy charts with no real context. GTFOH.

Actually happy for Dino that he doesn’t have to deal with that unrealistic family anymore.

I don’t think there is a bad guy here. Dino stuck with his guy for as long as he could. Tommy did his best, took a lot of shots and made some questionable decisions. I could definitely see those decisions being made because he was constantly under ridiculous pressure. And, Tommy’s dad? The guy loves his son and wants to help him succeed. Sure, it may be counterproductive, but I think he had/has good intentions. The best thing for the Devitos to do, is be quiet and look for the best opportunity moving forward.

Didn’t see someone already posted this when I created a new thread….

Let me preface this by saying I have been very consistent in saying that JW is going to have to take a very long look at Dino after this season and I do think a change should be made…

But this article is even more reason I am glad TD is gone. Could have continued to take the high road instead decided to throw Dino and his staff under the bus. All one-sided hearsay that he knows Dino will never get a chance to comment on. There are so many red flags in this story that if I was a coach considering taking TD for a year, I’d move on so fast. It’s amazing Dino kept him as the starter after he and his family demanded all these meetings and presented these goofy charts with no real context. GTFOH.

Actually happy for Dino that he doesn’t have to deal with that unrealistic family anymore.
I said 2 years ago that it appeared that Devito was taking sacks and running out of bounds, which counts as a sack, to keep his completion percentage high and people here said I was nuts. Those sacks go against the offensive lines scores and they get trashed for it and that kills morale and I can't imagine makes them enthusiastic about blocking for him. How the coach didn't see that was beyond me.

Last edited:
Interesting that all of the unrealistic expectations discussed above are on Tommy and his family yet Dino is sitting in his office telling Tommy he wants him to win the Heisman for him. How realistic was that to put in a kids head pre-season? "Close your eyes...blah, blah, blah."

Dino and TD are in the same boat on this one and it sank with both of them in it.

Agreed. I think this article made the DeVito's come across rather poorly.

Exactly. Bush league move taking a machine gun to the one guy in all of Syracuse who believed in you on your way out. I wish Dino could come out and provide his side of things but he can’t/nor should he. I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that many of these claims are fabricated.

Interesting that all of the unrealistic expectations discussed above are on Tommy and his family yet Dino is sitting in his office telling Tommy he wants him to win the Heisman for him. How realistic was that to put in a kids head pre-season? "Close your eyes...blah, blah, blah."

Dino and TD are in the same boat on this one and it sank with both of them in it.
*Alledgedly told Tommy he wanted him to win the Heisman. According to Tommy.

Honestly just glad to have this all be old news soon. It clearly wasn’t the right fit. Miss on Dino’s part trying to make it a fit and bad form on tommy to come out after the fact and knock his teammates that supported him. I like the direction the offense is going with returning everyone next year minus servais and Elmore.

My lasting memory of Devito will be how big a jerk his father was on the board. At one point, I had my fill of him constantly ripping his son's teammates ( and guys we all root for) in a public forum and posted that I felt it was a classless thing to do. Especially so given Dino's whole "la familia" thing. Naturally, that drew predictable outcry from his sycophants on the board, but it was true. Imagine being one of Devito's teammates and reading something that the father of your de-facto "team leader" is publicly saying about you. Whether or not it was even true, it should have been kept "within the family."

The other lasting memory is that his father got him "professionally trained" since he was six years old TO WIN THE STARTING JOB ON HIS FLAG FOOTBALL TEAM! Really give that one some thought. What kind of nut job parent does something as crazy as that? It is one thing for sports parents to live vicariously through their kid but that really took the cake. You pay money to have a six year old win a starting QB job on a flag football team???? A sport that the other little kids are playing for free for the love of the game? That is like having your kid get lessons from Nolan Ryan to be a starter on his tee ball team. Except in this case the "professional coaching" came from a former minor level college QB and Arena League player. But all credit to the guy, he kept taking the Devito $$$ for over 14 years. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

But through it all, Tommy himself always seemed like a decent kid. I have not read the PS article because I am too cheap to pay for it but it sounds like Tommy may or may not have presented himself in the best light. That would be a shame if true.

Either way, he is gone and as with anyone who leaves I don't give two hoots about his sports career going forward. Rather, I hope he gets his degree and I wish him good luck in life, as I always do to anyone who has worn Orange.

Is TD still in school and what happens when a kid enters the portal...do they lose their scholarship? Same with Taj, Howard and others.

My lasting memory of Devito will be how big a jerk his father was on the board. At one point, I had my fill of him constantly ripping his son's teammates ( and guys we all root for) in a public forum and posted that I felt it was a classless thing to do. Especially so given Dino's whole "la familia" thing. Naturally, that drew predictable outcry from his sycophants on the board, but it was true. Imagine being one of Devito's teammates and reading something that the father of your de-facto "team leader" is publicly saying about you. Whether or not it was even true, it should have been kept "within the family."

The other lasting memory is that his father got him "professionally trained" since he was six years old TO WIN THE STARTING JOB ON HIS FLAG FOOTBALL TEAM! Really give that one some thought. What kind of nut job parent does something as crazy as that? It is one thing for sports parents to live vicariously through their kid but that really took the cake. You pay money to have a six year old win a starting QB job on a flag football team???? A sport that the other little kids are playing for free for the love of the game? That is like having your kid get lessons from Nolan Ryan to be a starter on his tee ball team. Except in this case the "professional coaching" came from a former minor level college QB and Arena League player. But all credit to the guy, he kept taking the Devito $$$ for over 14 years. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

But through it all, Tommy himself always seemed like a decent kid. I have not read the PS article because I am too cheap to pay for it but it sounds like Tommy may or may not have presented himself in the best light. That would be a shame if true.

Either way, he is gone and as with anyone who leaves I don't give two hoots about his sports career going forward. Rather, I hope he gets his degree and I wish him good luck in life, as I always do to anyone who has worn Orange.

Perhaps the apple fell closer to the tree than many on here believe.

The professional coaching thing is something that is becoming more and more prevalent in youth sports. Dr. James Andrews has said it's one of the things that is getting kids hurt at earlier ages. I think it's sad. It's taking something that is supposed to be fun and carefree and turning it into a profession long before it's intended to be.

My lasting memory of him was during the florida state (i think FSU) game a few years back. It was about 150 degrees in the dome and they ran our of water. I';m in section 335 and no one is sitting behind us all game. all of the sudden in about the 3rd qtr i see this jacked up, tanned dude dude walking up the stairs. at which point I tell my wife that's tommy's dad. She said something like, "I don't even want to know how you know". to which I said, "you are right". he gets to about 3 rows behind us, lays down and takes a nap. I ask if he is ok, he said "yea, just a little dehydrated". That was my only interaction with him other than reminding him of that on the board when he was regularly posting.

The professional coaching thing is something that is becoming more and more prevalent in youth sports. Dr. James Andrews has said it's one of the things that is getting kids hurt at earlier ages. I think it's sad. It's taking something that is supposed to be fun and carefree and turning it into a profession long before it's intended to be.

Yup. This.

Overuse & repetitive motion injuries, from kids doing too much of one thing all the time.
(there's an easy 'wanking' joke in here for the taking... ;) )

Kids used to play a BUNCH of different sports, and none for more than a few months at any given time.

Now to get ahead of the competition, they focus on one sport from a waaaaay too early age, and get all kinds of coaching, personal training, travel teams, yada yada yada.

IMO Dino's biggest downfall was not getting TD any real competition post-Dungey until this year. Also thought it was cool that Dungey called him before the season to give him a pep talk.

My lasting memory of him was during the florida state (i think FSU) game a few years back. It was about 150 degrees in the dome and they ran our of water. I';m in section 335 and no one is sitting behind us all game. all of the sudden in about the 3rd qtr i see this jacked up, tanned dude dude walking up the stairs. at which point I tell my wife that's tommy's dad. She said something like, "I don't even want to know how you know". to which I said, "you are right". he gets to about 3 rows behind us, lays down and takes a nap. I ask if he is ok, he said "yea, just a little dehydrated". That was my only interaction with him other than reminding him of that on the board when he was regularly posting.
That's absurd

All I get is this:

"Their breakup on Sunday was quick.

Tommy DeVito, resigned to the fact he’d get little playing time the remainder of the season, went into Dino Babers’ office and told him he was leaving the team to seek a transfer."

The rest is all ads. I am a subscriber. I checked on your link, by going to Syracuse.com myself and though the E-mails they send me saying "The Post-Standard eNewspaper is ready to read". It made no difference. I'm logged in. All I get is that one paragraph.

Are they taking the article down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors