Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
As horrendous as our OL was over the past 2 years, I have 0 issue with Tommy suggesting transfer options that could help the team. Maetti was a 3 year starter at Center for Rutgers and Missouri ended up getting 2 years out of him with what happened with COVID. I know we were looking at transfer centers a year ago so the whole thing is pretty strange.

Ok so maybe if DeVito did some behind the scenes lobbying fine but don’t come out after you leave the team and basically say we sucked because Dino didn’t replace my teammates with guys I wanted.

Ok so maybe if DeVito did some behind the scenes lobbying fine but don’t come out after you leave the team and basically say we sucked because Dino didn’t replace my teammates with guys I wanted.
Exactly. If he knows guys who might help the team, that's good. But to publicize that now isn't a great look.

The professional coaching thing is something that is becoming more and more prevalent in youth sports. Dr. James Andrews has said it's one of the things that is getting kids hurt at earlier ages. I think it's sad. It's taking something that is supposed to be fun and carefree and turning it into a profession long before it's intended to be.

I see it too. One of my son's friends just turned 10 and gets private baseball lessons once a week & is now essentially playing year round. The worst part is, this kid is average (at very best) and likely won't even make the modified team 3-4 years from now. He's just not athletic, but his Dad makes plenty of money & loves baseball, so he pays for this stuff. I feel like it is setting his son up for 1) disappointment because he isn't going to make any teams. You can pay and get on just about any travel team, but the school team is not putting you on there if you're no good. 2) Injury - playing the same sport all year at such a young age isn't the best idea.

Sorry for steering this off-topic. Back to the Tommy debate. :cool:

Wasnt going to add much to this thread but I see there's a lot of different opinions. That's how it should be when you have passionate fans that want to see their team win. With that said, the article makes me feel exactly how I felt after TD senior bashed Dungey during my only conversation with him. I met him in the hallway during the 2018 season when Eric was having a good season. All senior did was talked about his son being better than Dungey. He said Dungey cant make all the throws TD makes and that the offense is being held back by Dungey. It wasnt a good first impression. He bashed the o line and staff of Tommy's HS team. Did the same in college. He made excuses when Tommy under performed in the UA game. I tried to keep good relations after that but it was hard. I wish Tommy well. I personally think Kent st would be a great spot for him. Best opportunity to start and play in a familiar system.

Last edited:
One rule in business when you’re hiring someone, is pay close attention to how they speak about their former boss. There will come a time when they will be saying the exact same thing about you. In this case, it’s not so much what is said in the article, it’s what is said between the lines.

So goofy that this article even happened.

Personally, now I hope Tommy sucks at his next stop too.
I don't know that I hope he does, but I expect it. Our oline was bad but there's no such thing as perfect pass protection. I said it before, look at Trevor Lawrence at Clemson. Sometimes he made plays from a clean pocket, but a lot of his great plays came after buying time while keeping his eyes downfield. As someone else pointed out, how is it that every other QB that has played post Dungey has had a lower sack rate?

Last edited:
Im sure they evaluated him. He played at Missouri. Does that mean he's an impact center? How much better would he have been than Servais or Vett?
I'm guessing he would have been a welcome addition to our 2020 OL whose highest rated lineman was playing H-Back the year prior.

That being said, his wanting to come here could have just been smoke as well. Who knows.

I honestly put the blame 100% on dad. This has a whole Marinovich vibe. I think his dad is so controlling that Tommy had very little say in his entire life and Dad has been hovering forever. I actually think dad helped write to goodbye tweet.

I think TDs teammates saw what a pita his dad is and felt sorry for Tommy, hence all the respect from them as he exits. Kids aren’t dumb. They see the whole picture.

those suggestions from Tommy came from dad. I feel bad for Tommy. He needs to break loose from dad and control his own life.

Wasnt going to add much to this thread but I see there's a lot of different opinions. That's how it should be when you have passionate fans that want to see their team win. With that said, the article makes me feel exactly how I felt after TD senior bash Dungey during my only conversation with him. I met him in the hallway during the 2018 season when Eric was having a good season. All senior did was talked about his son being better than Dungey. He said Dungey cant make all the throws TD makes and that the offense is being held back by Dungey. It wasnt a good first impression. He bashed the o line and staff of Tommy's HS team. Did the same in college. He made excuses when Tommy under performed in the UA game. I tried to keep good relations after that but it was hard. I wish Tommy well. I personally think Kent st would be a great spot for him. Best opportunity to start and play in a familiar system.

Makes me wonder if Sean Lewis even wants to deal with it. He would know what he's getting into.

Of course, it's only for one year, so for him it might be worth the short term drama.

None of this is surprising.

I can't believe TD got the runway he did.

With that said, I hate hammering a kid under the influence of that type of parenting. Honestly, I won't root or not root for Tommy. But I'd never wish him ill will.

I'll just say I'm glad we have Garrett Shrader.

A few weeks away from the one year anniversary of this gem:

View attachment 209096

Putting aside the fact that the second sentence would make a grammar textbook throw up, we all acknowledge that there were issues with the OL and to a lesser extent the WRs. No mystery there.

However, the reverse is also true. What is your sales pitch to prospective OLs and WRs? "We have a QB with a rocket for an arm but also some limitations and imperfections. Just so you know, all of those limitations and imperfections are going to be blamed upon you. Also, every time he has a less than stellar performance you will get lots of visibility. Via his father. On the internet. Sign here."

I see it too. One of my son's friends just turned 10 and gets private baseball lessons once a week & is now essentially playing year round. The worst part is, this kid is average (at very best) and likely won't even make the modified team 3-4 years from now. He's just not athletic, but his Dad makes plenty of money & loves baseball, so he pays for this stuff. I feel like it is setting his son up for 1) disappointment because he isn't going to make any teams. You can pay and get on just about any travel team, but the school team is not putting you on there if you're no good. 2) Injury - playing the same sport all year at such a young age isn't the best idea.

Sorry for steering this off-topic. Back to the Tommy debate. :cool:

Sadly that's how travel teams work. Soak the wealthy delusional to supplement a kid with the talent and lack of funds.

Im sure they evaluated him. He played at Missouri. Does that mean he's an impact center? How much better would he have been than Servais or Vett?

with Cavanagh the answer is probably not any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom