Tommy | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy

The vanilla gameplan is also weak, but I agree with Eric above; bad game, and glad to have him for the next 3 years.

I fully expect him to be better at Maryland but I feel like “we didn’t know what to gameplan for” is a super weak excuse.

A) It’s Liberty

B) So anytime we’re confused by the looks a defense gives us, we can just expect to have zero passing game outside of screens?

Liberty had all off season to prep for how our offense does things. They even said they knew what we where going to try to do passed off of WR sets and RB depth. This clearly led to some timing issues in the passing game and them taking away combo routes and the deep pass all game.
Sure Tommy had some yikes decision making and you could see him and Jackson where not on the same page add in the overthrows it's an off game where the defense really keyed in on the passing game.
Babers and staff will add wrinkles and timing will get better.
Really like the two RB look and think it will be huge for us all season long.

The overthrows don't scare me, but the decision making did. Hope this week of practice lets them tighten up and we come out ready for Maryland.
Only thing I saw on overthrows was him leaning back on his back foot. I know he knows to follow through but just wasn’t. He will be fine.

Dino usually gives us the story if u listen. Devito is a Favre like gunslinger. He’s gonna be a passer who gets into rhythm and it will be beautiful. Other times it’s gonna be ugly. ESP at the beginning. Dino has done well w the gunslinger model.

Patience. He coached garoppolo. Very similar w Devito.

Vanilla game plan by a coaching staff that knows the D and ST would control the game

His WR screens were out quick and really accurate - I could hear ED whistling from here

He’s going to be fine. And the D looked unreal.
Not to mention every time we ran zone Tommy gave the ball up instead of tucking and running to a wide open side. Ends were collapsing down hard on the Rb. I think Dino said to give every time no matter the read to keep TD healthy.

He didn’t play well . but that interception was batted . I won’t know anything else until film
Run Game wasn’t there first half and they dared us to run . At least we are trying to fix things after a win and not a loss D picked it up for us from 2nd are on
Did coaches tell him to give in zone reads to keep him healthy cause 4 of them I saw he coulda walked 20 yds before would have gotten hit. Also he will be fine.

He seems to be back footing a lot of throws. I wonder if the pressure and screens got that in his head. I can think of 6 or so sideline routes that sailed because of it.
I said same thing and then ended up throwing high. Easily fixable.

one If my concerns with Tommy is his ability find alleys to throw to his receivers. He’s shorter and can’t throw over his line. It explains some of the high throws.
Yeah but rewatch cause he was throwing of back ft a lot which I haven’t seen him do ever. Balls were sailing

Yeah but rewatch cause he was throwing of back ft a lot which I haven’t seen him do ever. Balls were sailing

Agree.

His fundamentals were slipping it looked like (the back foot thing was bad), but I want to know who was at fault on the misreads - WR or QB (or I’m guessing a little of both).

I hate being the body language guy, but I want to see Tommy come out with some swagger next game. Be aggressive. Get on the same page with the WRs. Make the throws that you know you can. Have Dino get him some easy completions early. That two RB set was a nice wrinkle.

We win ten games again and no one is going to care about a few INTs in the Liberty game.

And as always, usually defense will be ahead of an offense and that’s firmly where we sit.

Last edited:
Agree.

His fundamentals were slipping it looked like (the back foot thing was bad), but I want to know who was at fault on the misreads - WR or QB (or I’m guessing a little of both).

I hate being the body language guy, but I want to see Tommy come out with some swagger next game. Be aggressive. Get on the same page with the WRs. Make the throws that you know you can. Have Dino get him some easy completions early. That two RB set was a nice wrinkle.

We win ten games again and no one is going to care about a few INTs in the Liberty game.

And as always, usually defense will be ahead of an offense and that’s firmly where sit.
Exactly and I actually forgot about the split backs. Nice choice on that.

Couple true Frosh had great games at QB yesterday against better people than Liberty. ,1st game excuse isn't working for me. He will be fine but he was not good.

McNabb's first game against UNC comes to mind.

It's a fair point that isn't being discussed much. WR and OL injuries during camp were a challenge.

Hopefully everyone got out of there healthy and we can start getting more comfortable in practice this week.

Heckel got hurt.
I'm not sure about Jeckell.

I am not spinning anything.

You are the one who said that Dungey never had such an uninspiring game. Now, you concede that he did have bad games. Which is it?

Miami, he was 13-41 for 137 with 0 TDs and 4 picks. Does that qualify as "uninspiring"?

If you are going to make blanket statements, you should check your facts before doing so.

Dungey was a terrific quarterback and definitely goes down as one of our great Qb but he did have poor performances. All QBs do.

Devito's did not play particularly well yesterday. No doubt. But to say that his 17-35 for 176 with 0 TDs and 2 picks is worse than any of Dungey's performances is simply not true.

Youre reading comprehension is a bit off. I said dungey didnt have a game as uninspiring as devito’s yesterday. Not that he never had a bad game. And you have to figure in the opponent as well. The miami game you mentioned was against one of the best defenses in the country, whereas yesterday we played liberty. So, not only do you cite bad facts but you ignore obvious flaws in the comparisons.

I dont want to continue down this path though because it will come off as overly negative against devito. One game does not define a career. On to the next.

Last edited:
So it's "over-reaction" versus "over confidence" ? (I'll leave the "ridiculousness" comment aside just to be friendly for now.)

All I know is what I see. I watched a bunch of college football yesterday even after our game. And I saw a whole lot of competent QB play.

Even taking into account the "first game of the season" and the "first start" and the lack of game film" and the Liberty defense's concentration on "taking away the long ball" the SU passing game, except for the screens, was bad.

I hope TD is great. But, I saw what I saw and it was concerning.

There are a lot of new parts. "Concerning" is a little bit dramatic. We have played poorly against lower division competition in the past, and still been good enough to make bowl games.

The degree of difficulty of starting with back-to-back games on the road was a risk that AD's office made. The only thing "concerning" to me so far is that I don't see any real progress on the roof and they're shutting the whole crane thing down in a couple weeks, aren't they?

How much of that was TD's fault and how much of it was the receiver's, I couldn't say. The idea that this was just a "timing thing" that can be easily straightened out seems suspect to me. They throw a whole lot of balls in practice.

As someone who played QB in high school, there is a big difference between practice and game situations. Especially with it being his first game starting, and all the expectations on this season.

There is an urgency of live competition, and an adrenaline surge, that you just don't get in practice. It's scarier when you have big guys bearing down on you at top speed, as opposed to the same guys you see in practice every day.

There's also a certain unpredictability, too. You know that this teammate is an edge rusher, and this teammate can do that. With real opposition, these are new guys you haven't played against before and you aren't as sure what they are going to do.

And as always, usually defense will be ahead of an offense and that’s firmly where we sit.
I think you have it backward. We have to get rid of the Ints and improve passing game to have 10 wins.
To declare 10 wins doesn't just make it happen.

McNabb was solid and efficient in that first game, but I wouldn’t say “great”. He didn’t throw for many yards, or even throw much at all if I recall.

IIRC, that was a Saturday night game at UNC, and McNabb wasn't officially named the starter until shortly before kickoff. I'd say that things worked out pretty well for Downing and Kevin Johnson as well...

McNabb was solid and efficient in that first game, but I wouldn’t say “great”. He didn’t throw for many yards, or even throw much at all if I recall.

You're right. He went 10-16 for 120 yards. Not sure what he ran for but I found that info.

Everyones pointing to Tommy and the line but I'm worried about the WRs as a group.

No Raveon and Custis changes the nature of the group and even stone hands Butler was a physical player and good downfield blocker. The position just looks different and small. The best guy is crazy skinny in Taj, Jackson didn't look too physical, and the other guys are tiny. Noone was in sync. Where are the easy pass plays gonna come from bubble screens to Sean Riley where he has to make 3 guys miss to get 5 yards aren't gonna win us games. The outside WRs can easily get pushed out of bounds on deep throws by CBs. With so many options where do we mix in new faces?
I agree. Our WR's looked small (skinny) compared to the Liberty ones. Hope Cam Jordan can force his way into some PT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom