Tommy | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy

As many have opined, Tommy's performance was nothing to write home about. If I had one concern that is larger than "just a bad game" or it was his "first start" is what Dino stated in the presser afterwards...that "Tommy is a gunslinger." Being a gunslinger is not only a physical attribute, but it's built/borne into one's mindset. Being patient and "taking what the defense gives you" is something a gunslinger has a lot of difficulty dealing with/adjusting to. If Liberty schemes can fluster/challenge him (patience, mentally, etc.) so much, what will other P5 schools be able to do in that regard with much better personnel? Time will tell I guess...I hope TD has the mental capacity to adjust moving forward.

1 game. The first game at that, and we all of a sudden think TD won’t be as good. That smells of overreactions and ridiculousness just like your “contrived excuse” about lack of game film.

So it's "over-reaction" versus "over confidence" ? (I'll leave the "ridiculousness" comment aside just to be friendly for now.)

All I know is what I see. I watched a bunch of college football yesterday even after our game. And I saw a whole lot of competent QB play.

Even taking into account the "first game of the season" and the "first start" and the lack of game film" and the Liberty defense's concentration on "taking away the long ball" the SU passing game, except for the screens, was bad.

I hope TD is great. But, I saw what I saw and it was concerning.

One thing: even with the struggles of the passing game to get untracked, I think things would feel a lot better if you just took away that one bad decision(that the Liberty kid also made a great play on) before half. That was really the only play that “scared” me. Take that one away and we’ve likely got 3 more points, and he only has 1 pick that was largely meaningless.

I say that because the other pick was 4th down anyway and it basically served like a great punt. I didn’t mind taking a shot there.

Next week though, I think it’s safe to say we’ll need to be on the positive side of 50% completion percentage and TD/INT ratio to win comfortably.

As many have opined, Tommy's performance was nothing to write home about. If I had one concern that is larger than "just a bad game" or it was his "first start" is what Dino stated in the presser afterwards...that "Tommy is a gunslinger." Being a gunslinger is not only a physical attribute, but it's built/borne into one's mindset. Being patient and "taking what the defense gives you" is something a gunslinger has a lot of difficulty dealing with/adjusting to. If Liberty schemes can fluster/challenge him (patience, mentally, etc.) so much, what will other P5 schools be able to do in that regard with much better personnel? Time will tell I guess...I hope TD has the mental capacity to adjust moving forward.
It has been said numerous times that we had no film on their team. Dino stated they played a a defense that TD had never seen before. We have film on Maryland, he will be better. Preparation throughout the week is very important and we went into this game blind.

Look, I think TD will be good, however, I think it’s going to take a little longer than what we all thought. I think we all assumed he would step right in and be great.

On the flip side, thank god we have a defense. They just completely shut out a team, a rare feat against any opponent. We won by 24.

Luckily we won’t need to rely on the offense as much this season as in others with a strong defense.

I think TD will improve over the season and I think next season will be his year to shine.

But hey, here’s to hoping he proves me wrong

One thing: even with the struggles of the passing game to get untracked, I think things would feel a lot better if you just took away that one bad decision(that the Liberty kid also made a great play on) before half. That was really the only play that “scared” me. Take that one away and we’ve likely got 3 more points, and he only has 1 pick that was largely meaningless.

I say that because the other pick was 4th down anyway and it basically served like a great punt. I didn’t mind taking a shot there.

Next week though, I think it’s safe to say we’ll need to be on the positive side of 50% completion percentage and TD/INT ratio to win comfortably.
There was at least one other instance where Tommy threw it to a Liberty DB & they didn’t hold on/have a good angle

Look, I think TD will be good, however, I think it’s going to take a little longer than what we all thought. I think we all assumed he would step right in and be great.

On the flip side, thank god we have a defense. They just completely shut out a team, a rare feat against any opponent. We won by 24.

Luckily we won’t need to rely on the offense as much this season as in others with a strong defense.

I think TD will improve over the season and I think next season will be his year to shine.

But hey, here’s to hoping he proves me wrong

The defense was amazing. However, if you’re really going to ride your defense - you can’t turn the ball over 3 times like we did. That will burn us against better teams.

And if you do turn it over 3 times, you better be making some big plays and putting up some quick points to balance it out.

There was at least one other instance where Tommy threw it to a Liberty DB & they didn’t hold on/have a good angle

That’s true, there was a near pick 6. That seemed like a miscommunication between Tommy and whoever he was throwing to(forgot)?

That’s true, there was a near pick 6. That seemed like a miscommunication between Tommy and whoever he was throwing to(forgot)?

This was my scariest moment of the game.

Bad read by TD. However, I thought he looked like a green young QB with inexperience.

It has been said numerous times that we had no film on their team. Dino stated they played a a defense that TD had never seen before. We have film on Maryland, he will be better. Preparation throughout the week is very important and we went into this game blind.

I understand, but some of that is coach speak too. It's not as if taking away the long ball or scheming to that effect, etc. is unique to football. Teams do this all the time depending upon a particular chosen game plan. You have to be able to adjust accordingly. Tommy has played highly competitive organized football for some time, and he's 3 years into SU's program.

The defense and special teams are going to give Tommy lots of chances to get better. Let's hope he takes advantage. If he does, watch out. I think we could beat anybody.

I understand, but some of that is coach speak too. It's not as if taking away the long ball or scheming to that effect, etc. is unique to football. Teams do this all the time depending upon a particular chosen game plan. You have to be able to adjust accordingly. Tommy has played highly competitive organized football for some time, and he's 3 years into SU's program.
Yes but couple that with a vanilla game plan on our end and stuff happens. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but I don’t think we saw what our real offense will look like.

Tommy, as sung by Eric Dungey: Re Write after last years NC game.

Ever since I was a young QB
I played a lot of football
From Oregon to Syracuse
I must have played them all
But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any stadium at all
That smooth, cool Jersey kid
Sure throws a mean football

He stands in the pocket
Becomes one with the team
Seeing all the receivers
Always throwing clean
Plays by Dino's direction
Makes all the yard markers fall
That smooth, cool Jersey kid
Sure throws a mean football.

He is a football wizard...

Liberty did a great job taking away Tommy's strengths. Their defense played better than their offense, too. Kind of expected for the first game of the year but we've seen Tommy perform at a high level, too. With a mantra of consistently good, I expect the players & coaches will be better prepared for Maryland...

Everyones pointing to Tommy and the line but I'm worried about the WRs as a group.

No Raveon and Custis changes the nature of the group and even stone hands Butler was a physical player and good downfield blocker. The position just looks different and small. The best guy is crazy skinny in Taj, Jackson didn't look too physical, and the other guys are tiny. Noone was in sync. Where are the easy pass plays gonna come from bubble screens to Sean Riley where he has to make 3 guys miss to get 5 yards aren't gonna win us games. The outside WRs can easily get pushed out of bounds on deep throws by CBs. With so many options where do we mix in new faces?

The comparisons to Dungey are poor. Dungey had bad games we forgot about because he had to hero ball the remainder of the game as a result of nobody else on the team being able to step up. Dungey was a warrior that put himself on the line to get our O going when his arm certainly couldn’t.

Thank the lord Tommy does not need to do that. We have three outstanding running backs and a defense that provides some forgiveness.

The comparisons to Dungey are poor. Dungey had bad games we forgot about because he had to hero ball the remainder of the game as a result of nobody else on the team being able to step up. Dungey was a warrior that put himself on the line to get our O going when his arm certainly couldn’t.

Thank the lord Tommy does not need to do that. We have three outstanding running backs and a defense that provides some forgiveness.

Ahhh, I'm pretty sure that SU fans know from bitter experience what happens when the opponent doesn't have to respect the passing game. We start talking about the number of "men in the box".

I'm sure TD will improve because I have seen him play well before and I have faith in Babers. My concern is about the amount of improvement he has to make. A "little better" might not be enough against Maryland. It sure isn't going to be enough against opponent #3 on the schedule.

Ahhh, I'm pretty sure that SU fans know from bitter experience what happens when the opponent doesn't have to respect the passing game. We start talking about the number of "men in the box".

I'm sure TD will improve because I have seen him play well before and I have faith in Babers. My concern is about the amount of improvement he has to make. A "little better" might not be enough against Maryland. It sure isn't going to be enough against opponent #3 on the schedule.
UNC didn’t have to respect the pass against us last year, until they did. Then it was too late.

I think Tommy had a poor game and has tape to watch and learn from. But I think our fanbase is acting like they just saw Tommy for the first time and is exaggerating the potential issues a bit much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom