Top 10 a majority of the season | Syracusefan.com

Top 10 a majority of the season

Think he is going to have the best single season since Melo. He has guys around him and I think he’s going to flourish.

Think he made a very smart move.

Yeah while I usually err on the side of “he should go” and I thought he was gone right up until 5 pm it was awful hard to justify Battle staying in the draft this year.

I’m cautiously optimistic but reality is this is the same team we had that was brutal on offense last year. I know I’m being a buzz kill and I’m ecstatic Battle is returning. I really hope we can improve from Chukwu high screens and one on one threes as the shot clock expires.

I’m cautiously optimistic but reality is this is the same team we had that was brutal on offense last year. I know I’m being a buzz kill and I’m ecstatic Battle is returning. I really hope we can improve from Chukwu high screens and one on one threes as the shot clock expires.

Not the same team though. Carey and Hughes potentially are two guys that likely will help the offense a lot. Sidibe is a good possibility to do so as well if healthy. And guys get better. Marek and Brissett in particular should be far better offensive players than they were as freshmen.

Not even close to the same. Top recruit Carey, Hughes, and Buddy. We played a walk on during a game going into the sweet 16. That’s not happening this year.

Not even close to the same. Top recruit Carey, Hughes, and Buddy. We played a walk on during a game going into the sweet 16. That’s not happening this year.

And Braswell as another offensive option at F. I don't know if he will get many minutes, probably not, but who knows.

DancingTrapinch.gif~c200

I want to like the callout but center, rebounding and 3 point shooting are my questions at this point. I will say this though, with a mix of the old and the new they will be fun to watch and see how they develop. Really nice potential in the upcoming season but I am not ready to crown them top ten and a 2 seed just yet.

And Braswell as another offensive option at . I don't know if he will get many minutes, probably not, but who knows.

I really like Bras, think he’ll end up surprising sooner than expected. Love his game almost more than anybody we brought in this year.

Only question is Tyus, Frank, Brisset and Carey will feel like they should get their shots. It went from Brisset/Howard being the guys and Carey most likely starting to now Tyus being the dude again and Carey off the bench. I think all we will be good since we return everyone, but it will be interesting to watch how everyone fits together. Carey and Hughes should be added weapons. I expect Doleazj, Sidibe and Brissett to take big jumps and Frank/Tyus to be improve as well.

This is great news!! The offense will hopefully change big time schematically! Gonna be some highly competitive practices!

Team practices should be streamed somehow The scrimmages will be so competitive and probably better than some non conf games

Yeah, that's a flawed way of looking at it.

Returning starters allows JB to hit ground running in practice without having to teach basics to mostly inexperienced players.

They have chemistry together already. Know each other's tendencies. That stuff helps.

Best of all is fact that every other team will lose important pieces: key seniors to graduation or top level talent to draft. Every other team will be breaking in new guys, like we do most years. Our guys have another year in a college weight room & are now those bigger, more experienced players other teams usually have.

Lastly, the depth. Adding guys like Hughes & Carey is key. Both are more offensive-minded players. And it allows JB to take a player out of having a poor night, or sick, foul trouble, or even just to play different matchups. Not to mention allows us ability to run more if we so desire. Seriously hope we get back to running & fast breaking.

syracuse fielded one of the youngest, least experienced teams in the nation last year (ranked 338 out of 351 schools) and was dead last in bench minutes.

those ratios are reversed going into next year. all five starters and a stud backup center returning who all know the system, plus a combo wing who has a full year in the system as well. add to that two young sets of athletic legs and a coach's son who can shoot the lights out.
this is not your father's oldsmobile

If we run the same ISO stuff and ignore off ball movement and/or don’t implement it then we’re toast against a good defensive team, regardless. If Carey gets integrated quickly and can get downhill as a playmaker then that could really help. Will be interesting to see if Tyus will be deployed as more of a playmaker. Should be more balance and pop of course in theory but until we start fundamentally moving defenses, reversing the ball crisply, not holding the ball, etc.; I’m taking a wait and see approach.

If we run the same ISO stuff and ignore off ball movement and/or don’t implement it then we’re toast against a good defensive team, regardless. If Carey gets integrated quickly and can get downhill as a playmaker then that could really help. Will be interesting to see if Tyus will be deployed as more of a playmaker. Should be more balance and pop of course in theory but until we start fundamentally moving defenses, reversing the ball crisply, not holding the ball, etc.; I’m taking a wait and see approach.

We have the team that’s skilled enough to run a really good offense, especially if Sidibe is healthy. We need to change the ISO and the high screen or I think we really are not playing to our skill.

Let’s see what JB does.

All i know is that a team that went to the sweet 16, got all its starters back, and added some key players to address some gaps, should be entering the season as higher than a top 20-25 team. If thats where we come in, i fear its gonna be one of those seasons where a win moves us up 1 spot and a loss moves us down 5... :|

I say the key here is if everyone improves slightly and Sidibe is 100%, we are a top 5 team. I say Howard turns over less, Battles doesn’t have to carry full load, Brissett improves 3 point shot a little and finishes thru contact, the Slovakian slinger turns 15’ to 18’ jumper up a notch turns into our point forward as teams have to guard him, Sadibe turns into the center we saw a few times last year, Chukwu bumps up his blocks per game some inside moves improve, Hughes just kicks ass as he battled Battles to a stand still last year as I have been told and Carey and The Son comes in and steadies the bench with Washington shirting and I think it helps him to be a 3 year starter starting next year. Love this team also cause of the hussle we will see. Go orange.

We have the team that’s skilled enough to run a really good offense, especially if Sidibe is healthy. We need to change the ISO and the high screen or I think we really are not playing to our skill.

Let’s see what JB does.
Especially if they start the high screen with5 seconds left on the shot clock and let the hedger drive the ball handler to mid court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom