Top Gun: Maverick | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Top Gun: Maverick

Jennifer Connelly reminds us all again how lucky Paul Bettany is.
It was a terrific summer flick. Lots of homages and tributes. Lots of smiles.
Val Kilmer's scene was very well done, IMO. If he and Cruise are not great friends, they both deserve an Oscar for that scene alone.
Very poignant for me as I also lost a dear friend and it is still with me, and hits me at odd times (in the theater, for instance) 13 years later.

I never post on this board, but I can't stress how much fun I had going to this movie. It was one of the first experiences that truly... truly felt like a throwback to pre-pandemic times (and I mean that as non-politically, positive way as possible).

Got to forget about work, stress, anything else... just let myself get fully engulfed in its awesomeness and nostalgia.

Honestly, it had me feeling like a kid again, a bit. Just such an enjoyable experience with everyone in the theater just absolutely loving it, young and old alike.

I am buying this movie as soon as it's available and re-watching, if not going to see it in the theaters again.

I watched Top Gun (the orginal) on Paramount+ (BTW, you get that free with a 24-7 subscription) the day before going to Maverick.

As far as I know I'm the only combat aviator that posts here...the 2nd one was actually better for realism. BTW, ask me at the tailgate how I got my call sign.

I went to a movie theater that has reclining leather chairs and small drink tables along with plenty of legroom...that is great when someone in the row gets up mid movie. Not too much disruption.

Didn't see it in IMAX or DX...but it still was awesome on a regular screen. Best action movie in forever.

I watched Top Gun (the orginal) on Paramount+ (BTW, you get that free with a 24-7 subscription) the day before going to Maverick.

As far as I know I'm the only combat aviator that posts here...the 2nd one was actually better for realism. BTW, ask me at the tailgate how I got my call sign.

I went to a movie theater that has reclining leather chairs and small drink tables along with plenty of legroom...that is great when someone in the row gets up mid movie. Not too much disruption.

Didn't see it in IMAX or DX...but it still was awesome on a regular screen. Best action movie in forever.

Could you expound on that a bit? I've read that elsewhere, but I don't know *why* and would love even a few bits of info on that.

Prolly the most bad ass line in board history

Could you expound on that a bit? I've read that elsewhere, but I don't know *why* and would love even a few bits of info on that.
When I was in Spec Ops I flew onto the Teddy Roosevelt for a couple days to meet with some SEAL operators. I got to observe up close the Deck Ops. Totally awe inspiring. Carrier night Ops is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. The movie actually captured Aircraft Carrier day Ops very realistically.

The cockpit scenes were authentic...it was very real with flares and ammo running out. No unlimited ammo and missiles. The G forces you experience really translated onto the screen. Notice they didn't fly around with their masks hanging to the side...

Even the aircraft theft scene was somewhat realistic with the ground cart procedure. First thing I thought was clearance on takeoff roll...lol. Was an issue.

The SAMs and the overall aviation terminology was pretty accurate. The airborne command and control was accurately depicted too.

About call signs:

I had a nav in my flight and we were working with Thai special forces...he gave the mission briefings while we were over there.

We had special name tags made up for the TDY trip. His AF call sign was "Rock Me"...we told him we had Rock Me in Thai on his name tag too.. his name in Thai script actually translated as Kathoey (lady boy). It was hilarious watching the Thai's read his name tag for two weeks. Rock Me (RIP) was a good sport about it after the fact and one of the best guys I knew in the Squadron.

An article on call signs.

Last edited:
The emotional impact of the movie isn’t nostalgia, it’s how the issues of time and regret, living with decisions, and how the past haunts you

The end kinda jumped the shark when
Cruise and Miles Teller each crashed, hijacked the random old plane that was still on the ground while nobody was paying any attention and then fought off the apparently far better planes on their way to safety
but it was a very fun and just all-around great action/summer movie nonetheless. Much better than the original IMO, granted they obviously have a lot more technology at their disposal nowadays.

Cruise and Miles Teller each crashed, hijacked the random old plane that was still on the ground while nobody was paying any attention and then fought off the apparently far better planes on their way to safety
but it was a very fun and just all-around great action/summer movie nonetheless. Much better than the original IMO, granted they obviously have a lot more technology at their disposal nowadays.
It went from star wars to mission impossible

didnt they really explain that at the beginning of the movie and why it might happen that way?

Any thoughts on the incongruity of the Penny Benjamin relationship? Are we supposed to believe Connelly is nearing 60?

Any thoughts on the incongruity of the Penny Benjamin relationship? Are we supposed to believe Connelly is nearing 60?
No. Why would you assume that they are supposed to be the same age?

Let's assume that Maverick was in his mid-late 20's during the 1st movie. Which would be the proper age for a fully trained fighter jock.

Now, let's assume that Penny Benjamin was at least 18.

The age difference works out.

so in reality they both could be playing a person 3-5 years younger/older than they really are.

My wife and I finally got to see this. Lived up to the billing. Really fun movie.

Bunch of random thoughts, spoilers ahead...

Bill Pullman's kid is really piling up some nice acting credits. If BOB and Phoenix had died I was going to be PISSED.

Hangman had the coolest helmet.

Very interesting that the enemy is completely unnamed.

They made a great case for why Hangman was a risky pick, but I don't feel like it was clear why Rooster was the right pick. Feels like part of the narrative was missing a little.

Funniest tweet I saw said that Top Gun was a propaganda film and I'm going to take a propaganda at Jennifer Connelly.

My wife and I finally got to see this. Lived up to the billing. Really fun movie.

Bill Pullman's kid is really piling up some nice acting credits. If BOB and Phoenix had died I was going to be PISSED.

They made a great case for why Hangman was a risky pick, but I don't feel like it was clear why Rooster was the right pick. Feels like part of the narrative was missing a little.

Funniest tweet I saw said that Top Gun was a propaganda film and I'm going to take a propaganda at Jennifer Connelly.
It was honestly one of the best movies I’ve seen in the last few years

Case for Rooster probably lies in that he’s always had the ability, but his own resentment and the chip on his shoulder weighed him down. When he let that go he was the perfect wingman for Mav to trust

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom