Class of 2023 - Top Prospects NYS Class of 2023 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 Top Prospects NYS Class of 2023

After the 4 recent BCS offers, including the P5 offer from Syracuse, I moved him up to 5th in the state. I had him there in my head but it is hard for me to justify having kids with multiple P5 offers over a guy who only had offers from Delaware State and some other small school I have forgotten.

Rashard had 111 tackles as a DL last season. 100 tackles is great production for a season for a linebacker. It is ridiculous production for a DL. Led the state in sacks with 23. I think numbers like these matter, even at the HS level. Took a program on his back and led them to the state finals as a junior.

As of early March, unbelievably, he had no highlight film up. That could only happen in NYS for a player clearly one of the top 10 in the state. I did watch one of his playoff games (I think it was McQuaid) and while he took a few plays off, as money says, when Bennett needed a big play, he delivered consistently.

Anyway, he is a little light for DL and will probably need a year or two in the weight room to make an impact on a program like Syracuse. That is the real difference I see between him and the kids rated ahead of him in the state (all national level recruits).

Made a few other minor changes, but Rashard got the big bump.
Thats good stuff. There some interesting instate prospects this year. Looking forward to seeing who the staff push hard for.

17. Jayden Straw LB, Christ the King, Middle Village, N.Y./ Info on this recrit NA

Last edited:
Update on Nick Lang that I posted earlier…I know he’s not a “top NYS recruit” right now but he was offered by Army from what I’m told.

Hopefully this helps him get some other looks at the D1 level

18. Ajani Sheppard QB, Iona Prep New Rochelle, N.Y. 6' 3" 230 LBS Very much the leader and focus of this team. Accurate, has what IMO is a very strong arm. Throws into tight windows. Drops back into pro style stance but can be considered a dual threat QB if he has no receivers open he will take it and run. Fast. est. 40 - 4.5 - 4.6

Became the first player in Westchester County history to throw for 2,000-plus yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in the same season. Ajani Sheppard of Iona Prep (New Rochelle) is the 2021 MaxPreps New York High School Football Player of the Year. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound quarterback accounted for 3,398 yards of total offense (2,357 passing, 1,041 rushing) and 38 TDs in leading the Gaels to an 11-1 mark, the AAA NYCHSFL title and New York State Catholic High School Athletic Association football championship game.

MaxPreps New York High School Football Player of the Year​

Class of 2023 quarterback Ajani Sheppard, a 6-3 signal caller who stars for Iona Prep in New Rochelle, New York, is firmly on the Syracuse radar.

"Around the first live period, coach Monroe came to see me," Sheppard said. "Then in the second live period, it was coach Babers and coach Monroe. They've told me they were really interested. They like my film and they're going to come down in April to see me throw."

During his junior season, Sheppard completed 70% of his passes for 2,357 yards with 22 touchdowns and four interceptions. He also ran for 1,049 yards on 138 attempts with 16 more scores. He is looking forward to the chance to throw in front of the Orange coaches.

"I'm just going to show them what I do best," Sheppard said. "They haven't told me what they're looking for so I'll probably ask them sooner or later. I'm just trying to show them I'm a really good quarterback and I can play in their system."

Sheppard has also taken note of Syracuse's new offensive coordinator (Robert Anae) and quarterbacks coach (Jason Beck). Their resumes of developing quarterbacks and sending them to the NFL has caught his attention.

"That's a factor," Sheppard said. "A guy like Taysom Hill, he's more of a dual threat quarterback. So I feel like their offense will fit me really well so I can show off my talents really well and lead them to a conference championship or national championship."

Sheppard says he has the ability to hurt teams with his arm and his legs.

"For me, I like staying in pocket but if things break down I'm going to get up out of there," Sheppard said. "When I scramble I'm looking to throw the ball but if nobody's open I'm going to take off. If you're going to try to guard my receivers tight, I'm just going to take off on you and make you pay for it. I'd say I model my game after Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson. I love the way they play and I watched Deshaun Watson in college. He was always really good. Lamar Jackson, Heisman winner, he's always really good."

What would his interest in Syracuse be if the Orange does extend an offer?

"My interest level would be high," Sheppard said. "I've always liked that school, especially since my brother went there. I would really consider going to Syracuse, especially since they're close to home soon."

Offers from: Army
Interest from: AZ, Pitt, UConn, UMass, E Carolina, Temple

Last edited:
19. Jake Polito '23, Somers HS, 6'3", 285, 5.0 40, BP 350, VJ 28", All Section, All County, All State
Tape is mostly OT, great blocking ability, usually stands opposition up or pancakes. Started varsity as freshman.
Offers: Dartmouth, Navy, Stonybrook, UConn

20. Capri Martin, NG, Iona Prep, New Rochelle, NY - 6' 3" 285, no 40, Bench 230, squat 435

Quick feet, fast off snap. Always in on tackles at the LOS. All league/ 50 Tckls, 14 TFL, 5 sacks, Heavyweight Champion NYSAA wrestler

Offers: Army, Temple

Needs to lose some of that weight or gain muscle. Not a cut 285, too much fat.

"I really wanna pursue my dream in playing professional football and I know I have what it takes."

Last edited:
I will continue with, I believe, 2 more where tomcat says we have interest.

51. Jermaine Atkins, Kenmore West HS, Buffalo, NY RB/WR 6' 2" 184, 4.5 40 SU interest, no offer.

Fast and elusive. Scored a school record 7 TDS rushing vs North Tonawanda this past season. 13 touches, 251 YDS, 7 TDS

Also scored 23 TDS and rushed for 1000YDS in 4 GP.

Great vision, sees holes as they are just opening is through once on the outside outruns DB's.

Great hands was originally a WR catches everything. No stats on total rushing passes caught YPC.

At SU for visit.

Last edited:
29. Amari Pitts, CBA - WR/FS, 6' 3", 195 no forty , fast guessing 4.5

Very smooth WR, very good at catching the ball.

As of Dec 7, 2021 had:

29 catches
402 YDS
6 TDS
61 TCKLS
5 INT
1 FF

Signed at Hartwick College, D III school in Oneonta, NY

18. Ajani Sheppard QB, Iona Prep New Rochelle, N.Y. 6' 3" 230 LBS Very much the leader and focus of this team. Accurate, has what IMO is a very strong arm. Throws into tight windows. Drops back into pro style stance but can be considered a dual threat QB if he has no receivers open he will take it and run. Fast. est. 40 - 4.5 - 4.6

Became the first player in Westchester County history to throw for 2,000-plus yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in the same season. Ajani Sheppard of Iona Prep (New Rochelle) is the 2021 MaxPreps New York High School Football Player of the Year. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound quarterback accounted for 3,398 yards of total offense (2,357 passing, 1,041 rushing) and 38 TDs in leading the Gaels to an 11-1 mark, the AAA NYCHSFL title and New York State Catholic High School Athletic Association football championship game.

MaxPreps New York High School Football Player of the Year​

Class of 2023 quarterback Ajani Sheppard, a 6-3 signal caller who stars for Iona Prep in New Rochelle, New York, is firmly on the Syracuse radar.

"Around the first live period, coach Monroe came to see me," Sheppard said. "Then in the second live period, it was coach Babers and coach Monroe. They've told me they were really interested. They like my film and they're going to come down in April to see me throw."

During his junior season, Sheppard completed 70% of his passes for 2,357 yards with 22 touchdowns and four interceptions. He also ran for 1,049 yards on 138 attempts with 16 more scores. He is looking forward to the chance to throw in front of the Orange coaches.

"I'm just going to show them what I do best," Sheppard said. "They haven't told me what they're looking for so I'll probably ask them sooner or later. I'm just trying to show them I'm a really good quarterback and I can play in their system."

Sheppard has also taken note of Syracuse's new offensive coordinator (Robert Anae) and quarterbacks coach (Jason Beck). Their resumes of developing quarterbacks and sending them to the NFL has caught his attention.

"That's a factor," Sheppard said. "A guy like Taysom Hill, he's more of a dual threat quarterback. So I feel like their offense will fit me really well so I can show off my talents really well and lead them to a conference championship or national championship."

Sheppard says he has the ability to hurt teams with his arm and his legs.

"For me, I like staying in pocket but if things break down I'm going to get up out of there," Sheppard said. "When I scramble I'm looking to throw the ball but if nobody's open I'm going to take off. If you're going to try to guard my receivers tight, I'm just going to take off on you and make you pay for it. I'd say I model my game after Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson. I love the way they play and I watched Deshaun Watson in college. He was always really good. Lamar Jackson, Heisman winner, he's always really good."

What would his interest in Syracuse be if the Orange does extend an offer?

"My interest level would be high," Sheppard said. "I've always liked that school, especially since my brother went there. I would really consider going to Syracuse, especially since they're close to home soon."

Offers from: Army
Interest from: AZ, Pitt, UConn, UMass, E Carolina, Temple
With Sellers on board, it will be interesting to see if we take another QB in this class. Assuming LaNorris stays with us, I don’t think so. We have a lot of young QBs on the roster already.

However, I think it is clear Sheppard is a really good athlete who could play several positions. Anae & Beck have used guys like him in creative ways in the past and might look to sell him on playing a hybrid role at Syracuse.

If they think he is a good enough athlete to fill that role for us.

After the 4 recent BCS offers, including the P5 offer from Syracuse, I moved him up to 5th in the state. I had him there in my head but it is hard for me to justify having kids with multiple P5 offers over a guy who only had offers from Delaware State and some other small school I have forgotten.

Rashard had 111 tackles as a DL last season. 100 tackles is great production for a season for a linebacker. It is ridiculous production for a DL. Led the state in sacks with 23. I think numbers like these matter, even at the HS level. Took a program on his back and led them to the state finals as a junior.

As of early March, unbelievably, he had no highlight film up. That could only happen in NYS for a player clearly one of the top 10 in the state. I did watch one of his playoff games (I think it was McQuaid) and while he took a few plays off, as money says, when Bennett needed a big play, he delivered consistently.

Anyway, he is a little light for DL and will probably need a year or two in the weight room to make an impact on a program like Syracuse. That is the real difference I see between him and the kids rated ahead of him in the state (all national level recruits).

5. Rashard Perry '23, Bennet HS, Buffalo, NY 6' 3" 243, DT, all muscle. Very strong - spends his extra time if he has any in the weight room. As a sophomore: dead lift 480, squat 400, bench 260 and can dunk a basketball. Fast, though no 40 time listed. I'm guessing the way he chases QB's down 4.6-4.7. ////

We got him yesterday, April 9, Tom! My next choice is Zyian Moultrie - Goddard from Iona Prep in New Rochelle. Both he and Perry #4 &#5 Goddard are tremendous athletes, about the same size at 6' 2" 240, 104 Tckls, 25 TFL,4.5 Scks. Both top athletes. If we get Goddard along with Perry, what a LB corps is developing here.

He is the one person I wanted most. Really going to make a difference for us. I was hoping he'd look upon us favorably and he did. I don't know where the coaches are going to want to play him.

He's the perfect size for an NFL linebacker now. Has speed and tremendous strength. It's going to be
great watching him play for us and see what difference he makes for the Defense.

Man, am I happy. Offered March 4 and committed April 9. Great!

From NYS we now have Perry who you moved up to #5 and Clements at #11.

Last edited:

FP8szmXXwAkvESA

Important and sincere Words form Rashard Perry
"I've talked to them, (coaches), a couple of times," Perry said. "Really just met them Saturday, in person. Building a relationship with them was one of the most important things to make sure that they see me as something they want. That they think I can build in their program and become something great."

I've been following Perry and all the stats have been put out there. I've watched all the film there is.
His first step is what gets him beyond the OLine and his arm moves clear and on his way to a sack.

Depends on where the coaches play him. His size and speed put him at NFL linebacker now which is where I would have him play.

He is a very down to earth "man." He just wants to get better and better and has lived on the field after practice and in the weight room working on building himself and working for coaches after practice. I think we have something special here with more on the way.

Last edited:
I know that we've gotta go with the tape that somebody makes, but trying to pick out Rashard from what seems a half-mile away doesn't help the athlete gain exposure.

I mean, I knew it was him b/c he was making all the sacks, but I'd maybe like to see some of these schools up their game on the videos so that recruits could get their due. (I mean, all recruits who don't commit to us early...)

FP8szmXXwAkvESA

Important and sincere Words form Rashard Perry
"I've talked to them, (coaches), a couple of times," Perry said. "Really just met them Saturday, in person. Building a relationship with them was one of the most important things to make sure that they see me as something they want. That they think I can build in their program and become something great."

I've been following Perry and all the stats have been put out there. I've watched all the film there is.
His first step is what gets him beyond the OLine and his arm moves clear and on his way to a sack.

Depends on where the coaches play him He's at NFL average size especially at linebacker now. His size and speed put him at NFL linebacker now which is where I would have him play.

He is a very down to earth "man." He just wants to get better and better and has lived on the field after practice and in the weight room working on building himself and working for coaches after practice. I think we have something special here with more on the way.
He can be the next All American to wear number 72.

He can be the next All American to wear number 72.
I was thinking who he reminds me of in terms of position, intensity, athletic ability and leadership. Tim Green was the guy I came up with.

Those are big shoes to fill but Rashard just might be able to do it. I am interested to see how quickly he adapts to college ball.

Update on Nick Lang that I posted earlier…I know he’s not a “top NYS recruit” right now but he was offered by Army from what I’m told.

Hopefully this helps him get some other looks at the D1 level
Saw that Nick has some Hudl videos to look at now. Based on that and the Army offer, I added him to the list. Looks like a fine player.

I believe there are now at least 28 players in the class of 2023 for NYS with at least one offer.

I expect at least 10 more will get them in the next few months.

It is a strong and very deep class.

Saw that Nick has some Hudl videos to look at now. Based on that and the Army offer, I added him to the list. Looks like a fine player.

I believe there are now at least 28 players in the class of 2023 for NYS with at least one offer.

Yes, visited army over the weekend

I know he’s been talking to a few other schools but no official offer yet.

He’s hoping to go to a few camps this summer and get some looks there

Yes, visited army over the weekend

I know he’s been talking to a few other schools but no official offer yet.

He’s hoping to go to a few camps this summer and get some looks there
Okay, understood. I will probably drop him 20 spots or so in the next update.

Looks good. Hope he can get up to 190 or so. That would definitely get the attention of a lot of colleges.

I posted this before but if you look at Buffalos roster it is loaded with NY kids and they have been doing pretty well.

Okay, understood. I will probably drop him 20 spots or so in the next update.

Looks good. Hope he can get up to 190 or so. That would definitely get the attention of a lot of colleges.

Just realized I made that confusing.

He was officially offered by Army, they were his first. He also went down last weekend and visited them.

He has been talking to other schools but no offers by them as of yet.

I posted this before but if you look at Buffalos roster it is loaded with NY kids and they have been doing pretty well.

Is Buffalo doing well enough to compete in the ACC?

No rock should be unturned, but I don’t think we can live off of NYS talent.

I look forward to the day we are signing players who have offers from the Ohio States and Clemsons of the world. Signing kids with offers from Albany and Buffalo isn’t going to cut it. It hasn’t cut it so far.

Raise the bar.

Last edited:
I know that we've gotta go with the tape that somebody makes, but trying to pick out Rashard from what seems a half-mile away doesn't help the athlete gain exposure.

I mean, I knew it was him b/c he was making all the sacks, but I'd maybe like to see some of these schools up their game on the videos so that recruits could get their due. (I mean, all recruits who don't commit to us early...)
Agreed Symphony. The quality is there in focus most of the time but the distance away from the player is something that needs addressing. You can't really see the player you just see the arrows or woof woof, or wait for it.

Some are better than others.

I look forward to the day we are signing players who have offers from the Ohio States and Clemsons of the world. Signing kids with offers from Albany and Buffalo isn’t going to cut it. It hasn’t cut it so far.

Raise the bar.
I think what he is getting at is UB finds a few kids every season that develop into Power 5 quality players and occasionally 1 or 2 of them will be NFL stars or journeymen.

The answer is we can't survive in the ACC doing that but it is nice if our staff can offer a few of those hidden gems.

Clement and Perry just might be those.

Raise the bar.
Signing kids with just Albany and UB offers is not the norm. Large majority of the players on the team had other P5 offers.

I think what he is getting at is UB finds a few kids every season that develop into Power 5 quality players and occasionally 1 or 2 of them will be NFL stars or journeymen.

The answer is we can't survive in the ACC doing that but it is nice if our staff can offer a few of those hidden gems.

Clement and Perry just might be those.
A lot of people want the staff to grab more NY kids. Then when they get them they criticize them for it. lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom