Transfer Market | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Market

Still hearing nothing from Chelsea about a 2nd striker to replace Torres. I have to guess this is because they couldn't move him.

Ideally, I'd like to see Chelsea ship out Torres (Wolfsburg, perhaps, for 10M), Mikel or Ramires (who has great pace, but is so reckless with his tackles), but Ramires only if they bring in Carvalho to compete with Matic in defensive midfield.

I hope we can hold Cech for the season, and give him assurances that if Courtois isn't up to English football that Cech can win the job back (but only after Courtois signs that new 5 year deal!).

I still think a central defender is in the cards, too. We'll have to see. Only 11 days left in the window.

It gets interesting now with most big clubs making luxary buys vs need based buys. Prices will likely be up at this point as well. Carvalho may actually be worth that in a few years, and a I rate him fairly high as a player, but at 22 years old that is a bit much.

I understand that Arsenal bid 24M earlier in the window, and Chelsea wanted to blow that away to try to get this done quickly. That sized bid, if true, should do it. I agree it's a lot for a young guy who doesn't play in a skill position, but with the new arbitrage way that big clubs are buying young players (including your Liverpool, who seem to be getting it), this was the inevitable result. Try to squeeze the future "sell on" margin out of players when they are sold young, if you are the selling club.

Chelsea supposedly offering Fernando Torres on loan (paying most of his salary) in an effort to sign 20M forward Mattia Destro. Destro is only 23, stands 6-0 and scored 13 goals for Roma last year. Perfect number 2 striker.

It gets interesting now with most big clubs making luxary buys vs need based buys. Prices will likely be up at this point as well. Carvalho may actually be worth that in a few years, and a I rate him fairly high as a player, but at 22 years old that is a bit much.

I would argue that it's roster balance and getting younger, rather than pure 'luxury buys", at least on Chelsea's part, and on City's part, too. You need competition for spaces, you need squad depth to play 60 games a year.

Both of these possible moves by Chelsea are for top quality players in their early 20s. Not all of them pan out, but they are being true to their "building a team for the next 10 years" mantra. Yes, they bought some older guys, but nobody in the backend of their career (25, 27 or 28, not 30+).

If Chelsea can cash in Ramires, who won't be starting except in spot duty, for roughly 2/3 of the price of Carvalho, that's a good deal. Use your assets.

I would argue that it's roster balance and getting younger, rather than pure 'luxury buys", at least on Chelsea's part, and on City's part, too. You need competition for spaces, you need squad depth to play 60 games a year.

Both of these possible moves by Chelsea are for top quality players in their early 20s. Not all of them pan out, but they are being true to their "building a team for the next 10 years" mantra. Yes, they bought some older guys, but nobody in the backend of their career (25, 27 or 28, not 30+).

If Chelsea can cash in Ramires, who won't be starting except in spot duty, for roughly 2/3 of the price of Carvalho, that's a good deal. Use your assets.

Suppose existing assists are why I deemed them luxary buys for cfc and city. Both already have a ton of talent out on loan that they could pull back at anytime. CFC had 20+ loanees out last year many of whom have more promise than the 7 LFC loanees. I feel like LFC have finally built their roster to the point where we can be more selective of targets but CFC have been there for years already. Problem Is if you buy enough young guys and never play them they will eventually stop signing. City just splash big money and will have to continue doing so because they don't play anyone from their youth academies.

I rate Rodgers. The Balotelli signing is a great test for him.

The team I'm watching most is Everton. The Barkley injury is a huge blow to a team good enough to contend for top six, if not top four, and give the big teams trouble if everything breaks their way. I wonder if they bring in a top-quality loaner or sign someone in midfield outright. Barkley is out anywhere from two to five months depending on who you believe (unlike American athletes, injured Premier footballers are usually out of action for as long as advertised. They don't come back in half the expected time through suspiciously superb rehab techniques).

Suppose existing assists are why I deemed them luxary buys for cfc and city. Both already have a ton of talent out on loan that they could pull back at anytime. CFC had 20+ loanees out last year many of whom have more promise than the 7 LFC loanees. I feel like LFC have finally built their roster to the point where we can be more selective of targets but CFC have been there for years already. Problem Is if you buy enough young guys and never play them they will eventually stop signing. City just splash big money and will have to continue doing so because they don't play anyone from their youth academies.

Some players may resist, but on the other hand, Chelsea (and other big clubs) can afford to offer these young kids bigger salaries than their "host"/originating club can. So even if they go out on loan, these young kids are making a great living, earning more money than their side could otherwise pay.

Some players may resist, but on the other hand, Chelsea (and other big clubs) can afford to offer these young kids bigger salaries than their "host"/originating club can. So even if they go out on loan, these young kids are making a great living, earning more money than their side could otherwise pay.

Right but some may buck the big money bench sitter spot at city for 80% of those wages at a big club where they will actually play. Unlike most US athletes, fair amount of players are willing to perhaps take a bit less money, knowing they are still getting paid a lot, for the sake of a more successful career.

I rate Rodgers. The Balotelli signing is a great test for him.

The team I'm watching most is Everton. The Barkley injury is a huge blow to a team good enough to contend for top six, if not top four, and give the big teams trouble if everything breaks their way. I wonder if they bring in a top-quality loaner or sign someone in midfield outright. Barkley is out anywhere from two to five months depending on who you believe (unlike American athletes, injured Premier footballers are usually out of action for as long as advertised. They don't come back in half the expected time through suspiciously superb rehab techniques).

Martinez screwed up naming the starting 11 he did v Leicester.

Balotelli in for 16 Mil.

Borini out for 14 Mil.

Now there is a good chance the Balotelli (and his bad attitude) don't work out, but there is some chance that he blossoms into one of the best in the world (he's got that kind of talent). For 2 Mil its hard not to be happy Liverpool is taking this chance. If nothing else, he is going to make Liverpool that much more interesting to watch.

Right but some may buck the big money bench sitter spot at city for 80% of those wages at a big club where they will actually play. Unlike most US athletes, fair amount of players are willing to perhaps take a bit less money, knowing they are still getting paid a lot, for the sake of a more successful career.

But, see, kids can have it both ways - you get the big club paycheck, but then the loan spell(s) get you time playing first team football, until a decision can be made whether or not you have a place at the big club. Look at Lukaku and Courtois. Courtois will have his chance after 3 excellent years at Atletico Madrid to beat out Petr Cech.

With Lukaku, I think they made the right call. He is a lot more like Demba Ba than Didier Drogba - he can muscle a ball into the goal, and he makes dangerous runs, but his on-ball skills are not that great, he has let himself get out of shape at times for such a young guy, doesn't always show up with the required effort pressuring defenders who play out of the back. Plus, he wants to be "the man"; he doesn't want to fight for his place at a big club. He has turned up small in the few moments he has played in big games. I don't think he has the mentality of a champion, although that may change in the coming years.

Balotelli in for 16 Mil.

Borini out for 14 Mil.

Now there is a good chance the Balotelli (and his bad attitude) don't work out, but there is some chance that he blossoms into one of the best in the world (he's got that kind of talent). For 2 Mil its hard not to be happy Liverpool is taking this chance. If nothing else, he is going to make Liverpool that much more interesting to watch.

Risky for the clubhouse, but a great deal, so long as Mario doesn't blow up. This one will bear watching.

Interesting. Why do you say that?

Coleman and Mirallas on the bench, conceivably to save them for this week vs Arsenal. Seemed as though he presumed a win vs Leicester.

Coleman and Mirallas on the bench, conceivably to save them for this week vs Arsenal. Seemed as though he presumed a win vs Leicester.

Isn't Mirallas still recovering from the World Cup? You saw what happened to Tiago Silva at PSG for playing macho man and coming back too soon. Goodbye hammy.

Risky for the clubhouse, but a great deal, so long as Mario doesn't blow up. This one will bear watching.
keep-calm-and-hide-yo-kids-hide-yo-wife-1.png

Coleman was a doubt, I forget his injury issue. Mirallas had just reported to pre-season, given time off from the World Cup. Though I agree, those two should be nailed on when fit, though Martinez still rotated Mirallas and Delofeuo (sp?) all the time last year.

Isn't Mirallas still recovering from the World Cup? You saw what happened to Tiago Silva at PSG for playing macho man and coming back too soon. Goodbye hammy.

Could be. I'm just salty because it screwed up my EPL fantasy team last week.

Mario Balotelli has said his goodbyes to his AC Milan teammates and the club's staff ahead of his proposed move to Liverpool after the two clubs agreed a fee of 16 million pounds (20 million euros, $26.5 million)

Holy Crap what a steal for liverpool. They get a Suarez replacement who is world class and profited a lot of money from selling Suarez. Super Mario is a headcase but has a lot of talent. He is a Chad OchoCinco or Ron Artest but actually a legit superstar.

Mario Balotelli has said his goodbyes to his AC Milan teammates and the club's staff ahead of his proposed move to Liverpool after the two clubs agreed a fee of 16 million pounds (20 million euros, $26.5 million)

Holy Crap what a steal for liverpool. They get a Suarez replacement who is world class and profited a lot of money from selling Suarez. Super Mario is a headcase but has a lot of talent. He is a Chad OchoCinco or Ron Artest but actually a legit superstar.

Ocho Cinco is good comparo. He's just odd but not really a threat to anyone but himself. Artest not so much, but that's a good comparo for Saurez actually.

Is Luwaku even better than Balotelli? I mean I like Super Mario more and Everton paid more than Liverpool. Luwaku is only a couple years younger and Balotelli was my favorite when I was a City fan. I may have to get a 45 in red. Why so serious?

So Liverpool have got some options now with the 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2. United's new look back 3 should be terrified as we could run

-----Sturridge---------Balotelli
--------------Sterling----------
------Lallana----------Henderson
--------------Gerrard------------
Moreno--Lovren--Skrtel--Manquillo

Is Luwaku even better than Balotelli? I mean I like Super Mario more and Everton paid more than Liverpool. Luwaku is only a couple years younger and Balotelli was my favorite when I was a City fan. I may have to get a 45 in red. Why so serious?

Raw talent wise they're both very good options. Mentally, they are perhaps pretty similar as well perhaps. Will all depend on how their coaches can handle them

So Liverpool have got some options now with the 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2. United's new look back 3 should be terrified as we could run

-----Sturridge---------Balotelli
--------------Sterling----------
------Lallana----------Henderson
--------------Gerrard------------
Moreno--Lovren--Skrtel--Manquillo

That line up leaves out Coutinho. It will be interesting to see whether Balotelli earns a regular starting place or not, for the first time since I started watching Liverpool there is legitimate competition for starting spots.

If Balotelli doesn't start, past history suggests he will get sulky. I have to admit though, when Rodgers brought Lambert in against Southampton (switching to the 4-4-2 diamond formation you show) Liverpool instantly looked like a much better team.

Does anybody know if Balotelli is good at taking free kicks?

This has not been talked about much but Suarez took Liverpool's free kicks last year, and they are lacking someone for that job this year.

I know Balotelli is great at penalties, not sure about free kicks though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom