Transfer Market | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Market

Thanks very much, General. I enjoy the transfer dance, and have been following European club football for about 5 years now, so I'm starting to get the hang of what's real, what's possible, and what is attributable to agents trying to generate interest in their clients.

A couple mid-day updates.

Juventus have signed Adrien Rabiot of Paris St. Germain, so Arturo Vidal may be making that move to United after all, now that Juve have a replacement in hand (it so often happens this way). Newspaper reports are saying United will have to stump up Shinji Kagawa, Chicharito and about 35M pounds (wow, that's what happens when you advertise how much money you have to spend!). United is desperate after the disaster against MK Dons, and may very well overpay (again) to get their man.

Reports that Martin Van Ginkel, young holding MF for Chelsea, has turned down the loan deal to AC Milan and prefers to stay and fight for a place with Chelsea.

Spurs close on replacement defender Federico Fazio of Sevilla for 8M pounds. (Good business!)

Arsenal may bid for Liverpool's unsettled defender Daniel Agger.

Liverpool renewing interest in Bayern Munich's Xherdan Shaqiri, who had a pretty solid World Cup for Switzerland.

Rabiot to Juventus is a big deal. That kid is going to be good, and as you say, it might lead them to part with Vidal.

I'd love to see Liverpool sign Shaquiri but I am doubtful. With Balotelli they seem pretty strong in attack. It seems to me they can use another mid.

Rabiot to Juventus is a big deal. That kid is going to be good, and as you say, it might lead them to part with Vidal.

I'd love to see Liverpool sign Shaquiri but I am doubtful. With Balotelli they seem pretty strong in attack. It seems to me they can use another mid.

We need another GK. We can use Can at CDM unless BR truly doesn't see him there but then why sign the guy who played mainly CDM and LB at his prior club?

We need another GK. We can use Can at CDM unless BR truly doesn't see him there but then why sign the guy who played mainly CDM and LB at his prior club?

Yes, I absolutely think Can is seen as Gerrard's substitute and eventual replacement at defensive-mid/deep lying play maker.

But with that being the case, who fills in for the rest of the mid field? Right now it looks like Henderson and Coutinho are going to play a lot of minutes. Probably too many. It seems to me that somebody to join Allen in spelling Henderson and pushing Coutinho for minutes would improve the club.

I agree with the goalie comment as well, however, I wonder if another starting quality keeper to push Mingolet might not be the next logical move. I don't think that is going to happen this week

Yes, I absolutely think Can is seen as Gerrard's substitute and eventual replacement at defensive-mid/deep lying play maker.

But with that being the case, who fills in for the rest of the mid field? Right now it looks like Henderson and Coutinho are going to play a lot of minutes. Probably too many. It seems to me that somebody to join Allen in spelling Henderson and pushing Coutinho for minutes would improve the club.

I agree with the goalie comment as well, however, I wonder if another starting quality keeper to push Mingolet might not be the next logical move. I don't think that is going to happen this week

Depends what the preferred formation will be. Lots of ?'s marks but manily good ones as in do we plan on starting Balotelli w/ Sturridge or use him as a sub. With Sturro, Balo, and Lambert we could potentially run a mean 4-4-2 which drops Lallana into the midfield.

Figure Gerrard will be the base of the midfield (as health allows) which would leave 3 midfield spots to fill with Henderson (who will almost always feature regardless of formation) Sterling, Coutinho (who needs to be played centrally vs the wing IMO), Lallana, Allen, Markovic, and Can. Lallana and Sterling are too talented to keep on the bench when healthy.

IMO, our ideal mid/strike formation would be

----Sturridge--------Balotelli Sub: Lambert
------------Sterling----------- Sub: Coutinho
Lallana------------Henderson Sub: Markovic, Allen
-----------Gerrard------------ Sub: Can

Feeling a lot better about the prospects of our season now.
image.jpg

Some big news on the transfer front - Xabi Alonso is off from Real Madrid to Bayern Munich. This will help toughen up their defense, especially as Bastian Schweinsteiger is recovering from a knee injury.

ESPN FC (UK) is saying that Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot is still not wrapped up for Juventus as the replacement for Arturo Vidal (as is being reported in Italy), and that the player's mother is flying in to London to speak with Arsenal to see if they can better the deal. Vidal may have changed his mind about leaving, according to unnamed teammates.

Solomon Kalou, former Chelsea man who has had a renaissance at Lille in France wants to move back to the Premier League and is being watched by Sunderland, Tottenham and Everton - although with Everton signing Eto'o, they are probably no longer interested.

Real Madrid to rival Manchester United in their interest for Luis Gustavo of Wolfsburg, now that Xabi Alonso is off to Bayern.

Barcelona is anxious to get Alex Song's too-high wages off their books, and are offering him around. So far, Tottenham and West Ham have expressed interest.

Spurs hoping to bring Danny Welbeck in on a season-long loan from United, now that Van Gaal has told him he's free to go.

Manchester United have received bids from Valencia and Juventus for Mexico international striker Javier Hernandez.

The agent of Chelsea forward Fernando Torres has said she is optimistic the transfer of the Spanish forward to AC Milan will go through.

Crystal Palace "close" to loan deal with Man United for Wilfred Zaha.

http://talksport.com/football/exclu...ace-close-deal-man-uniteds-zaha-140828110478?

Last edited:
Some big news on the transfer front - Xabi Alonso is off from Real Madrid to Bayern Munich. This will help toughen up their defense, especially as Bastian Schweinsteiger is recovering from a knee injury.

ESPN FC (UK) is saying that Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot is still not wrapped up for Juventus as the replacement for Arturo Vidal (as is being reported in Italy), and that the player's mother is flying in to London to speak with Arsenal to see if they can better the deal. Vidal may have changed his mind about leaving, according to unnamed teammates.

Solomon Kalou, former Chelsea man who has had a renaissance at Lille in France wants to move back to the Premier League and is being watched by Sunderland, Tottenham and Everton - although with Everton signing Eto'o, they are probably no longer interested.

Real Madrid to rival Manchester United in their interest for Luis Gustavo of Wolfsburg, now that Xabi Alonso is off to Bayern.

Barcelona is anxious to get Alex Song's too-high wages off their books, and are offering him around. So far, Tottenham and West Ham have expressed interest.

Spurs hoping to bring Danny Welbeck in on a season-long loan from United, now that Van Gaal has told him he's free to go.

Manchester United have received bids from Valencia and Juventus for Mexico international striker Javier Hernandez.

The agent of Chelsea forward Fernando Torres has said she is optimistic the transfer of the Spanish forward to AC Milan will go through.

I wonder how seriously Schweinsteiger is hurt. Alonso is a direct replacement for him, and I can't see the two playing together. Interesting stuff.

I'm still hoping Song ends up at Liverpool. He has all the attributes Rodgers wants in a mid field player. Liverpool is not big on paying high wages though. I'm not sure how much Song is getting paid, but that might very well be a sticking point.

Really interesting about Kalou. I love his game and always felt he never got a fair shake at Chelsea because of the wealth of talent.

I wonder how seriously Schweinsteiger is hurt. Alonso is a direct replacement for him, and I can't see the two playing together. Interesting stuff.

I'm still hoping Song ends up at Liverpool. He has all the attributes Rodgers wants in a mid field player. Liverpool is not big on paying high wages though. I'm not sure how much Song is getting paid, but that might very well be a sticking point.

He's on 100K Euros per week (5M per year). That's a lot for a defender. I thought he was older, but he's only 26.

I'm betting that Scweinsteiger's knee is rather serious, or else they wouldn't have made this move. It's not like Xabi Alonso has been playing that well for Real. He appears to have really lost a couple steps over the last year or so.

With Champions League groups drawn it will be interesting to see how it affects last minute transfers. Namely, anything between Dortmund and Arsenal is now off I presume.

Torres to AC Milan for 10M and being offered a 2 year deal, rather than a loan with option to buy. Sounds like Chelsea did very well on this one, if it is finalized on these terms.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/28/ferna...agreeing-two-year-deal-with-ac-milan-4849211/
It all depends on who they bring in behind him. I presume this is a 2-part move with Torres out and another striker coming in behind him. We don't want the whole season to depend on Costa's hammy because Sod's law and all that.

It all depends on who they bring in behind him. I presume this is a 2-part move with Torres out and another striker coming in behind him. We don't want the whole season to depend on Costa's hammy because Sod's law and all that.

What I have been reading is a move for Roma's Mattia Destro - young guy, only played 20 games last year due to injury, but scored 13 goals. His goals per minute are off the charts. He has some size and he is a good poacher and good in the air. Would be a GREAT number 2 forward.

Other rumors are taking a shot at Falcao from Monaco, who they wanted a couple years ago, but he is coming off an ACL, so there is a little concern there. Monaco want to loan him for 10M for 1 year and then make the purchase if the buyer is happy the following year for FFP purposes (lets them write off an extra year of his huge salary and transfer fee from their books).

Finally, laying in the bushes is Edinson Cavani of PSG, who would be my 2nd choice behind Destro. Cavani runs like the wind, and would excel in Chelsea's counter-attack, but he's not a big "target man" in the traditional sense. Hold-up play is not his strong suit, he's more like Torres used to be, a guy who likes to run at defenders and get in behind them for cutting passes like he would get from Fabregas, Oscar and Hazard.

What I have been reading is a move for Roma's Mattia Destro - young guy, only played 20 games last year due to injury, but scored 13 goals. His goals per minute are off the charts. He has some size and he is a good poacher and good in the air. Would be a GREAT number 2 forward.

Other rumors are taking a shot at Falcao from Monaco, who they wanted a couple years ago, but he is coming off an ACL, so there is a little concern there. Monaco want to loan him for 10M for 1 year and then make the purchase if the buyer is happy the following year for FFP purposes (lets them write off an extra year of his huge salary and transfer fee from their books).

Finally, laying in the bushes is Edinson Cavani of PSG, who would be my 2nd choice behind Destro. Cavani runs like the wind, and would excel in Chelsea's counter-attack, but he's not a big "target man" in the traditional sense. Hold-up play is not his strong suit, he's more like Torres used to be, a guy who likes to run at defenders and get in behind them for cutting passes like he would get from Fabregas, Oscar and Hazard.
Destro seems like the most realistic option. I'm not sure those other guys would want to come in and sit. Plus, great point about Cavani's style not necessarily being the best fit.

This morning's rumors, as we approach the final days of the transfer window, which closes this year on Sept 1 instead of Aug 31, due to the 31st being a Sunday.

Tom Cleverly about to be sold to Aston Villa for 9M. (Wait, don't United still need midfielders?) Valencia trying to get in at the last minute.

Torres to AC Milan seems about to finally close. A deadline was given that it has to happen by today, I believe, so clubs have time to line up replacements.

Roma says Destro is not for sale to Chelsea (or anyone else). Chelsea will probably up their bid a bit, and then likely turn to Loic Remy of QPR as a stop-gap, rather than shell out the big bucks for Radamel Falcao or Jackson Martinez.

Solomon Kalou is in Berlin, probably for a physical with Hertha.

Lewis Holtby of Spurs is in talks with Hamburg.

Alex Song has had a goodbye dinner with his Barca teammates, but no team has met the release price yet.

Man City is expecting a late bid from Real Madrid for Alvaro Negredo, their out of favor striker who started off last season so well. 16M Euros is said to be the amount.

Man United's Shinji Kagawa has reportedly turned down a move to Valencia and is hoping that Dortmund make a sufficient bid (reportedly Kagawa has already agreed to personal terms with the German side). Kagawa did very well in Germany before getting bought by United a few years ago.

Sunderland have apparently agreed to a 1 year loan deal for Belgian defender Toby Alderweireld, who is owned by Atletico Madrid. (Missed opportunity for United or Arsenal?)

Speaking of Arsenal, they are being mentioned with both Falcao and Cavani. Benfica are hovering, hoping to get Joel Campbell on a loan deal if Arsenal get either of the big-name strikers.

PSG says Adrien Rabiot is being pursued by 3 teams - Juventus, Arsenal and Tottenham. Sounds like Arturo Vidal is staying put at Juve, to the disappointment of Van Gaal and United fans.

The weekend will be a buzz of activity, up until the window closes on Labor Day afternoon. There are sure to be a couple surprises.

Destro seems like the most realistic option. I'm not sure those other guys would want to come in and sit. Plus, great point about Cavani's style not necessarily being the best fit.

Well, "sitting" is relative. You have to remember that Chelsea play around 60 games a year, not 40, so there will be at least 20-25 games for any 2nd striker, not including injuries or late game substitute appearances.

This morning's rumors, as we approach the final days of the transfer window, which closes this year on Sept 1 instead of Aug 31, due to the 31st being a Sunday.

Tom Cleverly about to be sold to Aston Villa for 9M. (Wait, don't United still need midfielders?) Valencia trying to get in at the last minute.

Torres to AC Milan seems about to finally close. A deadline was given that it has to happen by today, I believe, so clubs have time to line up replacements.

Roma says Destro is not for sale to Chelsea (or anyone else). Chelsea will probably up their bid a bit, and then likely turn to Loic Remy of QPR as a stop-gap, rather than shell out the big bucks for Radamel Falcao or Jackson Martinez.

Solomon Kalou is in Berlin, probably for a physical with Hertha.

Lewis Holtby of Spurs is in talks with Hamburg.

Alex Song has had a goodbye dinner with his Barca teammates, but no team has met the release price yet.

Man City is expecting a late bid from Real Madrid for Alvaro Negredo, their out of favor striker who started off last season so well. 16M Euros is said to be the amount.

Man United's Shinji Kagawa has reportedly turned down a move to Valencia and is hoping that Dortmund make a sufficient bid (reportedly Kagawa has already agreed to personal terms with the German side). Kagawa did very well in Germany before getting bought by United a few years ago.

Sunderland have apparently agreed to a 1 year loan deal for Belgian defender Toby Alderweireld, who is owned by Atletico Madrid. (Missed opportunity for United or Arsenal?)

Speaking of Arsenal, they are being mentioned with both Falcao and Cavani. Benfica are hovering, hoping to get Joel Campbell on a loan deal if Arsenal get either of the big-name strikers.

PSG says Adrien Rabiot is being pursued by 3 teams - Juventus, Arsenal and Tottenham. Sounds like Arturo Vidal is staying put at Juve, to the disappointment of Van Gaal and United fans.

The weekend will be a buzz of activity, up until the window closes on Labor Day afternoon. There are sure to be a couple surprises.

I thought Barcelona was willing to release Song for free? I guess that was a crap rumor.

Alderweireld is a fantastic get for Sunderland. I was impressed by him during the World Cup. If Liverpool ended up with him I would have been happy.

I thought Barcelona was willing to release Song for free? I guess that was a crap rumor.

Alderweireld is a fantastic get for Sunderland. I was impressed by him during the World Cup. If Liverpool ended up with him I would have been happy.

I guess there's free (actually no cost), and then there's "Free" (like in advertising). This apparently falls into the latter category. LOL

Well alright. Fernando. TORRES IS OFF TO AC Milan, Chelsea have apparently signed Loic Remy for €10M. And they are still going to place another bid for Destro of Roma. Nando needed a fresh start in a new league and drove a hard bargain. All the best to him.REMY is a good back up, makes quick runs and can find the back of the net. Now Roma cannot hold us hostage. We got cover. But maybe we can still upgrade.
Happy days.

Last edited:
Sunday night update: 23 1/2 hours to go in the transfer window. Two hour special on NBC SN tomorrow night from 6 to 8 PM, wrapping up activity as the window closes. Should be great. It's the first time I recall seeing a show like this. It will be like a cross between draft night and election returns. LOL

Ok, on with the rumors and updates. Trying to keep it real.

Atletico Madrid have rebuilt their attack, adding Italian winger Alessio Cerci from Torino. I watched them the other night, and as much as they were "raided", they still had a spine of about 8 guys who played big roles for Diego Simeone last season. They will contend for a Champions League spot again.

Fernando Torres is gone to AC Milan. Yay! No more sob stories, no more distractions.

Chelsea officially wrap up Loic Remy of QPR as their back-up striker option. He provides a nice change of pace to Diego Costa and Didier Drogba - more quick darting runs, he's a good addition at a great price of only 10.5M.

Shinji Kagawa of Manchester United returns to Dortmund, where he had great success a few years ago. I bet he'll return to quality performances. He is good on Japan's national team.

Solomon Kalou does sign with Hertha Berlin. Good luck to him. Liked him at Chelsea as a nice complimentary wing, with Anelka, Malouda and Drogba. They were a good attacking group for a couple seasons.

Radamal Falcao will be going somewhere - but it's still a toss up whether it will be Real Madrid, or whether Machester City may have stolen the deal at the last minute. Arsenal and Juventus are also being mentioned, but one story I saw said City would pay 70M Euros for him. Arsenal and Juve can't touch that, if it's true.

Man United appear to have finally signed Daley Blind from Ajax. They are said to be talking to Monaco about 36 year old center back Ricardo Carvalho.

Javier Hernandez may trade United's bench for Real Madrid's, for a reported 20M pounds. That would be good business.

United also supposedly flying Nigel DeJong in from Milan for a physical in a 10M move. He would give some bite to their midfield.

Alvaro Negredo looks set for a loan deal to Valencia, so that opens up a roster spot for City to add another striker. Hmmm. Did they really offer 70M Euros for Falcao? Would Arsenal really try to match or beat that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom