Transfer Portal up to 446 players now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Portal up to 446 players now

Do you really care if they do?
Don't want to interject myself here--but here I go.

There are at least 2 ways to answer this question.

1) From a purely ethical point of view, of course. They are "student-athletes".
2) From a more utilitarian slant--I hope so, because it's fairly clear that the SU players do (see Battle and Hughes getting degrees in the past 2 years), and I don't like SU's being at a disadvantage if others don't.

Ok. Let it die and do nothing. Good plan.
Blowing it up is a better plan?

Actually, I have a great idea. Let it be what it was meant to be. A way for student athletes to compete, not some crazy thing with multimillion dollar tv deals, millionaire coaches, and boosters willing to sell their souls to make their favorite team win.

Blowing it up is a better plan?

Actually, I have a great idea. Let it be what it was meant to be. A way for student athletes to compete, not some crazy thing with multimillion dollar tv deals, millionaire coaches, and boosters willing to sell their souls to make their favorite team win.

Ok, you and the half dozen other people that will follow basketball in that model enjoy it.

Ok, you and the half dozen other people that will follow basketball in that model enjoy it.
What "model" do you propose? Like I said, the ingredients won't change. There is nothing college can do to change what is making the game so bad. The talent isn't there anymore. All of the types of players that used to make it great stick around for their one required year and leave. Even the types of players that made for great role players, second and third options on teams, leave after two years. If the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule that will likely get worse. How do propose to stop that? Just because you WANT something to get better, doesn't mean there is a way to do it.

It's easy for someone like you to stomp their feet, throw a tantrum, and demand that someone else fix something. It's a lot harder to actually come up with a realistic solution.

When coaches have to sit out a season when they change teams then you can complain about college basketball players having free agency.

The sport makes money for programs. The players don’t receive any of that revenue from the colleges. They should be able to play wherever they want as long as they have eligibility.

College basketball is broken because players have realized they are the sport and the money made off the sport has gone thru the roof and the only thing that has stayed the same is they get none of it.

Coaches made low 6 figures in the 1980s-1990s since then the salaries have gone thru the roof at the top programs.

Pay the players if you want them to stay. If not deal with the consequences. Players are the sport.

It sucks they don’t stay but I wouldn’t do something for free if I could be a professional athlete and get paid for it.

They kids move on because they want to become professional athletes. Loyalty isn’t a one way street.

446, wow

Can you imagine what that number could be if the NCAA changes the 1 year penalty for non-grads?

Its got to be frustrating for some of these coaches at smaller programs, take Dan Monson at LB St, has the kid Morgan have a nice Fr year and just like that he's looking to bolt for an upgrade

What "model" do you propose? Like I said, the ingredients won't change. There is nothing college can do to change what is making the game so bad. The talent isn't there anymore. All of the types of players that used to make it great stick around for their one required year and leave. Even the types of players that made for great role players, second and third options on teams, leave after two years. If the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule that will likely get worse. How do propose to stop that? Just because you WANT something to get better, doesn't mean there is a way to do it.

It's easy for someone like you to stomp their feet, throw a tantrum, and demand that someone else fix something. It's a lot harder to actually come up with a realistic solution.

I’m throwing a tantrum? Ok

Get rid of the one and done. You are allowed to have an agent and come back if you are not drafted. Move the 3 point line back and move to 6 fouls. If a coach is cheating he sits a year, second time 3 years, third time life ban. No investigation over 1 year by the NCAA and no selective enforcement.

There are some things I came up with in 5 minutes on the can that I think would improve college basketball.

There’s my plan.

And another thing...
In the bad old days (from where my kind come) you could count on an Alcindor, Walton, Ewing, Coleman etc. to stick around for 3 if not 4 years. With a guy like Zion Williamson you knew he was just “spit on the griddle.“ It’s hard to develop continuity and a fan base when the roster turns over so quickly. I cant keep track - Lydon 2 yrs, Ennis, McCullough et al. One and done we’re once novel. Now if they have a masterful eight minute stretch in the NCAA’s (Richardson) they’re off to greener pastures.
Not having a tournament this year doesn’t help much either.
I am right with you on this ... although I have no issues with investing in "my" team and following the roster comings and goings. But the pain point for CBB is that no one can really figure out who is on the other teams (granted, there are 300+ of those). In the good old days, I knew every program in the Big East players 1-10 and I knew the star players on the "next" 40 or so teams. Iowa-BJ Armstrong/Roy Marble; UCLA-Toby Bailey/Dan Gradzurik/Tyus Edny/Jason Kapono; Wake Forest-Rodney Rogers/DeLaney Rudd/Muggsy Bogues/Randolph Childress. Just 3 example from 25-30 years ago, but I think you get the point.

Today, for $1M, I don't think I could name one player from the Pac 12, outside of the Washington Huskies (for obvious reasons).

Get rid of the one and done. You are allowed to have an agent and come back if you are not drafted. Move the 3 point line back and move to 6 fouls. If a coach is cheating he sits a year, second time 3 years, third time life ban. No investigation over 1 year by the NCAA and no selective enforcement.

There are some things I came up with in 5 minutes on the can that I think would improve college basketball.

There’s my plan.

how would you like the NCAA to implement getting rid of the one and done.

There’s my plan.

You don't remember the 6 foul rule the Big East experimented with in 1990-92. The games became hack fests.

You don't remember the 6 foul rule the Big East experimented with in 1990-92. The games became hack fests.
Yeah, they were ugly as ugly can be.
I'd almost like to see the HC armed with one extra foul to keep a player in the game. Would be interesting to see how various coaches would deploy this.

How long do we think all these kids have to make decisions?

Work with the nba. How does college football and the nfl work together but college basketball and the NBA can’t figure it out.

Work with the nba. How does college football and the nfl work together but college basketball and the NBA can’t figure it out.
The NFL uses college football as a free developmental league. The NFL doesn't have put any costs into developing its next group of talent. The colleges get money and its a win/win.

If football wasn't so physical then the 3 years away from your HS class graduating to be eligible would be unconstitutional.
Maurice Clarett sued on antitrust grounds to get into the 2004 NFL draft.

His legal team won arguing that the rule was restricting players from practicing their craft.
The NFL won on appeal because of Supreme Court Justice then Court of Appeals Judge Sonia Sotomayor.

The NFL and NFLPA have a CBA that states the rules to be eligible to play in the NFL. Thus, nobody not in the NFLPA doesn't have standing to challenge that agreement. For the rule to change a current player in the NFLPA would have to sue to get it changed but they won't.

The NBA-NBAPA currently have a 1 year away from your HS class rule to be eligible for the draft. That rule is likely changing soon but college basketball won't be like college football because its 1 year vs. 3 years.

arcgis needs to create a dashboard for this.

When coaches have to sit out a season when they change teams then you can complain about college basketball players having free agency.

The sport makes money for programs. The players don’t receive any of that revenue from the colleges. They should be able to play wherever they want as long as they have eligibility.

College basketball is broken because players have realized they are the sport and the money made off the sport has gone thru the roof and the only thing that has stayed the same is they get none of it.

Coaches made low 6 figures in the 1980s-1990s since then the salaries have gone thru the roof at the top programs.

Pay the players if you want them to stay. If not deal with the consequences. Players are the sport.

It sucks they don’t stay but I wouldn’t do something for free if I could be a professional athlete and get paid for it.

They kids move on because they want to become professional athletes. Loyalty isn’t a one way street.
yeah...i say make players decide out of high school: NBA or 4 YEARS of college.

if they are truly good enough to get drafted out of high school...let them go.

but i think the truly special players are what makes NCAA bball...so just saying let the top 100 go straight to the NBA will not fix the LOW QUALITY level that the sport has sunken to. ZION electrified the sport...it used to be 4 year seniors that were GOOOD ...now those players are few and far between.

Only realistic option is pay players and give them more benefits and rewards to stay. but that opens a whole can of worms that will suck and come with maybe worse problems than there are now.

There must be a equal payment to all players on scholarship across the board. otherwise, it will be a race to pay as much as possible. very hard to enforce.

one of the graet things used to be watching how players would develop over time and how squads would build over consecutive seasons...now its like starting from scratch every year with weaker players than ever.

those who watched in the 80s and 90s know the game is not close to what it once was. and there might not be a fix.

somehow the NBA needs to be involved and care what happens to NCAA...if the 2 entities could work together on making NCAA strong it could work. right now, as separate orgs, there is not a cohesive situation that ends up hurting NCAA (and the sport, imo)

that was so dumb. if all of college basketball had done it, then ok, give it a shot, but it was only the Big East, so any non-conference game,and most importantly post season games, were 5 fouls and an already physical/hacky group of players had to back off and play differently.

There’s my plan.
What you suggest does little but not much more (it's not nothing because you give an option to return to school)to fix the single biggest problem with college basketball, the lack of skilled talent.

The only way that could ever be fixed would be to force the talented players to stay 3+ years. Only the NBA could do that, but they won't because it's not in their best interest, and it would be a publicity nightmare.

6 fouls over the course of 40 min when the NBA does it over 48? How does that make sense? You want unskilled physical teams to have an advantage? You actually want the game uglier?

Your cheating suggestions sound great until you have to get into specifics. What defines cheating? Is every violation exactly the same? Do you punish an isolated minor violation the same as a major repeated one? People complain about how large and specific the NCAA rulebook is, but the people to blame are the coaches, boosters, ADs, and players. Anytime you have a rule that isn't specifically defined, someone will find a loophole to take advantage of the people trying to live by the intent of the rule. Can you rewrite the book so that it is fair and loophole free?

No investigation over 1 year? Ok, so if you're good at hiding stuff you just have to hold them off for a year. Well that certainly gives the NCAA the teeth to do all of the banning you suggested.

I'm good with the MLB rules being put into effect. Either leave after high school or have to stay until completion of Jr year or are at least 21 years old. With prep school being so predominant, most of the kids will hit 21 after their Soph years any way. Need to allow the kids to make money off of their likeness while they are there for the 2-4 years though.

Give me that and a $2m cap on coaching salaries. Anything more than that to coach "Student-Athletes" is ridiculous and completely unnecessary. If you got into the profession because of the money then that's the wrong reason.

What you suggest does little but not much more (it's not nothing because you give an option to return to school)to fix the single biggest problem with college basketball, the lack of skilled talent.

The only way that could ever be fixed would be to force the talented players to stay 3+ years. Only the NBA could do that, but they won't because it's not in their best interest, and it would be a publicity nightmare.

6 fouls over the course of 40 min when the NBA does it over 48? How does that make sense? You want unskilled physical teams to have an advantage? You actually want the game uglier?

Your cheating suggestions sound great until you have to get into specifics. What defines cheating? Is every violation exactly the same? Do you punish an isolated minor violation the same as a major repeated one? People complain about how large and specific the NCAA rulebook is, but the people to blame are the coaches, boosters, ADs, and players. Anytime you have a rule that isn't specifically defined, someone will find a loophole to take advantage of the people trying to live by the intent of the rule. Can you rewrite the book so that it is fair and loophole free?

No investigation over 1 year? Ok, so if you're good at hiding stuff you just have to hold them off for a year. Well that certainly gives the NCAA the teeth to do all of the banning you suggested.

Your solution that has a bunch of geeks stick around for 4 years playing glorified intramural games would certainly be the death knell of college basketball. At least my solution I conjured up while taking a crap this morning has a snowballs shot in hell of saving it. I’m also sorry I didn’t draft up a proposal with fine details with my team of lawyers for you to review.

Last edited:
Easiest solution is the baseball model.

You can be drafted out of HS.
You can sign with the NBA team that drafts you and just play in the minor leagues.
Or go to college for 2 years and then you are eligible for the NBA draft after that year.

Just go full baseball model. Make the NBA draft each team gets a spending budget based on where they finish the previous season.
Let teams trade draft capital etc.

Could go with the baseball model. If your a LeBron or Kobe you can go right from high school to the nba. Once you sign with a school you have to be there 2 or 3 years.

Could go with the baseball model. If your a LeBron or Kobe you can go right from high school to the nba. Once you sign with a school you have to be there 2 or 3 years.

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE THE NCAA TO IMPLEMENT IT?

they can’t.

the nbapa has to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom