Class of 2016 - Transfer Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Transfer Thread

I think for someone to want to transfer they would need to be in a special situation. A new coach perhaps or a team that is rebuilding. Or possibly someone who wants to try their hand at big time D-1 ball. Otherwise if I was a coach at a mid major (like Jimmy Patsos from Siena) I would be real upset if Brett Bisping left. He is an important piece to the team. The part about going to a school for a grad degree that your school doesn't offer is a real sham. I would guess that only a small percentage would take advantage of doing it for that reason.
Oh I agree about the coach's/school's that may lose these kids feeling slighted, but at the same time, some of these kids want to try their hand at a higher level, even if they don't get a ton of run compared to what they're used to. I'm not expecting Bisping to come here or even leave Siena; just threw his name out because he's redshirted already. I have no clue if he's graduating, so it may be a moot point.

If the Marist kid can go the grad transfer route, why wouldn't he explore it? He averaged 20 PPG on a 7 win team, I'm guessing he'd love a shot at the NCAA tourney even though he wouldn't get close to those numbers. There will probably be better landing spots for the top grad transfers than SU, but I hope we finally consider some of these kids.

Interesting name from a post above: Khallid Hart (6-2, 180) from Marist. Played at the same high school as Trevor Cooney in Delaware. Averaged 20 a game with pretty good percentages on a bad Marist team. Not sure what his situation is in terms of graduating, but I'd have to think he'd be decent option if the staff wanted to go this route.
Interesting for sure. He did redshirt as a freshman due to injury so maybe he has the credits.

Don't redshirt kids. I don't blame kids for leaving if they have gotten their degrees. College athletics is skewered totally in the coaches and schools favor. If a kid wants to transfer they should be able to go wherever they want without sitting out. So I don't blame any kid for leaving especially if they have gotten their degrees.
I think we don't red shirt enough. I wanted to red shirt the following players, Danny S. back in the day. Didn't really play a lot until his sr year and was the best center in the league that year. Would have been great in orange in '82. In the recent past, Damone Brown, B.J. Johnson, bob Lazur, Richard Manning were all guys that should have red shirted. Why wouldn't you want to have two sr years?

I think we don't red shirt enough. I wanted to red shirt the following players, Danny S. back in the day. Didn't really play a lot until his sr year and was the best center in the league that year. Would have been great in orange in '82. In the recent past, Damone Brown, B.J. Johnson, bob Lazur, Richard Manning were all guys that should have red shirted. Why wouldn't you want to have two sr years?
Because most, if not all, of them think they will be in "The Association" in 2 or 3 years.

Bobby Lazor and Richard Manning both became all Pac 10 players. They had talent but at Syracuse they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. We had a lot of guys transfer out back then for different reasons but some of it was because they weren't able to 32 minutes a game from day one. Both went from averaging two and three points a game here to averaging 17 and 18 ppg at ASU and Washington. It wasn't a case that they didn't have talent, unfortunately they came along at the wrong time and sitting out their transfer year helped. Imagine how good they would be on this years team. BJ could possibly end up the same. It's not always the coaches decision on redshirting. Sometimes it's the family. Same with transferring.

I think we don't red shirt enough. I wanted to red shirt the following players, Danny S. back in the day. Didn't really play a lot until his sr year and was the best center in the league that year.
Jay Murphy, Ed Spriggs and Otis Thorpe say ?

Wonder if it's good or bad that Hop and Hart were good friends?

Me thinks we may have to be more interested in this market than expected/hoped. Malachi's 2nd half last night could be all it takes for him to stay in the draft, who knows...Same with Tyler. Hope I'm getting worked up over nothing, but if both have strong FF's, striking while the iron is hot wouldn't be a bad idea on their end.

Me thinks we may have to be more interested in this market than expected/hoped. Malachi's 2nd half last night could be all it takes for him to stay in the draft, who knows...Same with Tyler. Hope I'm getting worked up over nothing, but if both have strong FF's, striking while the iron is hot wouldn't be a bad idea on their end.

mali and lydon would be cliniclly insane if they bolted now...even with all the hype etc. this happens every year after a big run.

mali and lydon would be cliniclly insane if they bolted now...even with all the hype etc. this happens every year after a big run.
Sure, it'd probably be better to return, but it's hard to say no if they can ride this run...

Justin Simon, who was a consensus top 35 player in the 2015 class has decided to leave Zona. He's from Cali, but spent his senior year at Brewster Academy. We weren't involved the first time around, but he fits the versatile tall guard type that the staff loves.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16/div1/players/jonathanmulmoregsvq
This 6'4 guard is the leading scorer in Juco, but also dished out 6 assist a game. G-Town/Maryland is after him.

Justin Simon, who was a consensus top 35 player in the 2015 class has decided to leave Zona. He's from Cali, but spent his senior year at Brewster Academy. We weren't involved the first time around, but he fits the versatile tall guard type that the staff loves.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16/div1/players/jonathanmulmoregsvq
This 6'4 guard is the leading scorer in Juco, but also dished out 6 assist a game. G-Town/Maryland is after him.

wonder if he would stick to west coast...Did he just not get PT at UoA?

wonder if he would stick to west coast...Did he just not get PT at UoA?
He was the 5th guard on Zona's depth chart this season. Playing time looked like it wouldn't get any better with Rawle Alkins, Kobi Simmons, and potentially Terrence Ferguson aka A$ap T-Ferg joining them.

Last edited:
He was the 5th guard on Zona's depth chart last season. Playing time looked like it wouldn't get any better with Rawle Alkins, Kobi Simmons, and potentially Terrence Ferguson aka A$ap T-Ferg joining them.

gotcha. I'm out here in UoA, ASU country and a buddy at work said the kid needs to work on his offense but by the time he gets off his transfer year or junior year, he'll be very good

One big half or a solid overall tournament (which Mali hasn't had, put up two stinkers) doesn't get you drafted anymore. It can help you improve your stock but doesn't make you go from undrafted to first round. Teams have gotten smarter when it comes to that regard and get their info from the whole body of work throughout the season and tournament.

If he gets drafted or declares it will be because he blew it away at the combine, not the tournament.

One big half or a solid overall tournament (which Mali hasn't had, put up two stinkers) doesn't get you drafted anymore. It can help you improve your stock but doesn't make you go from undrafted to first round. Teams have gotten smarter when it comes to that regard and get their info from the whole body of work throughout the season and tournament.

If he gets drafted or declares it will be because he blew it away at the combine, not the tournament.
Yeah it's crazy if he goes, but it wouldn't be crazy if someone drafts him (a la CMac). Mali has a huge upside when his motor is "on". Plus he is already projected to be selected next season right outside the lottery. Some team might take that chance and tell him why wait until next year when we will pick you this year. Sounds crazy, but it happens.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61906/katin-reinhardt
Some talk around USC that this former favorite around here might take his 5th year option elsewhere. Hop really wanted him back in HS, but we didn't have a scholly available at the time when he was ready to shut his recruitment down.
Reinhardt is officially on the 5th year market now. I gotta imagine that Hop will keep tabs on this one. Especially since there is no guarantees with Mali returning yet. I expect him to test the draft waters at least.

Under the new draft rules, these graduate transfers are going to be more and more in demand. Previous years, everyone pretty much knew who was going to the draft and by April, it was set in stone. Now, it's going to be in May and there are no repercussions for declaring for the NBA draft and getting to the combine where they can get extra official practice until then. If player shows up at a combine that's already on the NBA radar, but not projected as a draft until then for some reason, and absolutely kills it, he could be gone.

It's going to be a crapshoot for a couple of years until college coaches and the NBA figure out how to play this system to their own advantage. Add in to the chaos that more and more NBA teams are setting up 1-1 agreements with (if not outright purchasing) D-League teams, there's going to be more and more demand for prospects to stash and develop under their control.

Reinhardt would be the perfect bridge if Mali were to leave. He's not nearly as talented or dynamic, but he's a quality outside shooter with a bigger 6'6" frame than Mal.

I think it's going to be very, very interesting to see how the market plays out this year. With the rule changes pushing the decision timelines back, I wonder if the top kids available will hold off to see who ends up staying in the draft before deciding where to spend their final year. If the Reinhardt/Hop relationship and interest is still there, you'd have to expect him to wait for Mali to make a decision, right?