Travel pet peeves from today's ESPN CBB blog... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Travel pet peeves from today's ESPN CBB blog...

I used to travel with a soft case for my golf clubs. I sat and watched the luggage loaded onto the plane, and never saw my clubs. About 5 minutes before takeoff i see this guy running towards the plane dragging my bag behind him. Suddenly the bag rips open, the clubs are on the ground, and the guy looks left then right, assumes nobody saw it, throws the clubs back in the case does absolutely nothing to plug the hole. I decided to wait until i got to my destination and the airline claimed my clubs were redirected and would deliver the clubs to my hotel. 24 hours later i recieved 7 of my 13 clubs and a brand new case. Needless to say i have new clubs courtesy of the airline, and a hard case.
What a video that would have been, to catch the guy looking around to see if anyone was watching.
:D

I used to travel with a soft case for my golf clubs. I sat and watched the luggage loaded onto the plane, and never saw my clubs. About 5 minutes before takeoff i see this guy running towards the plane dragging my bag behind him. Suddenly the bag rips open, the clubs are on the ground, and the guy looks left then right, assumes nobody saw it, throws the clubs back in the case does absolutely nothing to plug the hole. I decided to wait until i got to my destination and the airline claimed my clubs were redirected and would deliver the clubs to my hotel. 24 hours later i recieved 7 of my 13 clubs and a brand new case. Needless to say i have new clubs courtesy of the airline, and a hard case.
Given the amount of money that i have invested in equipment in my golf bag i would have literally gotten off the plane and killed that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the amount of money that i have invested in equipment in my golf bag i would have literally gotten off the plane and killed that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when it happened I was going to Florida once a year or a trip with some buddies. The golf was the reason we went, but we ended up canceling half of our tee times because we were too hungover. I wasn't too worried about the clubs at that point, just wanted to make sure I could still pound a pint of beer in less than 7 seconds

One of my "favorite" flights was coming back from Orlando.

Sitting about 5 rows from the back, there was a clearly inebriated girl in front of me. Drunk or on drugs with flip flips and sweatpants / belly shirt with her belly and back fat hanging out.

When the attendants would leave the kitchen behind us she would get up, grab fistfuls of peanuts, cookies, etc and go sit down before they came back. When they brought out the drink cart she would try and steal soda cans from the cart when they weren't looking. When they came around a second time she traded in her peanuts for cookies.

Then she raided the overhead for blankets and pillows, handing them out like Robin Hood and then stuffing the remainder in her overhead bag.

My son who was six at the time and overly tired, said quite loudly "what is wrong with her?" as our whole section burst of out laughing.

As we landed, she sprung from her seat and raced to the front to get off first. However, she had checked luggage - so after getting the family situated in the curbside car I went to the baggage claim and there she stood waiting for her suitcase, draped in an airline blanket eating cookies.

This has been an amazing thread. I have two pet peeves to share.

1. People that welcome a bad experience. You know the type. We all know flying sucks, but there's a special type that really is looking forward to suffering. I don't like that person because I can be baited into being a really terrible person. I'm an expert traveler; I have fast passage through security down to a science and have learned impeccable flight etiquette. If for any reason you come at me directly or passive aggressively or attack another innocent traveler for any reason I will absolutely fulfill all of your flying nightmares. Falsely accuse a little kid quietly coloring of kicking your seat? I will let you know that if you have a problem with the kid you have a problem with me and I sincerely look forward to resolving it when we get off the plane. Mumble under your breath about how I'm holding up the security line because the one inconvenient thing I need to do is remove my laptop from its case and I will have a discussion with you about it and delay you further. Denigrate the shuttle driver because its late at night and he didn't stop at your stop because you failed to pull the yellow cord letting him know you needed to get off? I will "help" you remove your bags from the shuttle. You get the idea. My commitment is to deliver the experience you desire. I have been made this way in order to do these things.

2. People that stretch the definition of "carry on" and "personal item" and intentionally bring more items on the plane than any individual is permitted. People, checking your bags is the balls. Curbside is your friend. If you violate the clear and concise carry on guidelines you have been provided I will make this a point of conversation with everyone on the plane. You will not live it down. I will generate massive social pressure the likes of which you last experienced in middle school. You will feel like the dumbass you are. I promise you, you will pay a greater price than the money you elected not to spend on bag check. And if we should be on an airline where bags fly free, and you are still in violation...

That said, if you are in good spirits and are making the best of an uncomfortable situation you can have my arm rest, I will stand up to let you in and out of our aisle comfortably, I will ask the attendant for the beverage of your choice while you wait to use the lav and are not at your seat, and I'll let you deplane before me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This has been an amazing thread. I have two pet peeves to share.

1. People that welcome a bad experience. You know the type. We all know flying sucks, but there's a special type that really is looking forward to suffering. I don't like that person because I can be baited into being a really terrible person. I'm an expert traveler; I have fast passage through security down to a science and have learned impeccable flight etiquette. If for any reason you come at me directly or passive aggressively or attack another innocent traveler for any reason I will absolutely fulfill all of your flying nightmares. Falsely accuse a little kid quietly coloring of kicking your seat? I will let you know that if you have a problem with the kid you have a problem with me and I sincerely look forward to resolving it when we get off the plane. Mumble under your breath about how I'm holding up the security line because the one inconvenient thing I need to do is remove my laptop from its case and I will have a discussion with you about it and delay you further. Denigrate the shuttle driver because its late at night and he didn't stop at your stop because you failed to pull the yellow cord letting him know you needed to get off? I will "help" you remove your bags from the shuttle. You get the idea. My commitment is to deliver the experience you desire. I have been made this way in order to do these things.

2. People that stretch the definition of "carry on" and "personal item" and intentionally bring more items on the plane than any individual is permitted. People, checking your bags is the balls. Curbside is your friend. If you violate the clear and concise carry on guidelines you have been provided I will make this a point of conversation with everyone on the plane. You will not live it down. I will generate massive social pressure the likes of which you last experienced in middle school. You will feel like the dumbass you are. I promise you, you will pay a greater price than the money you elected not to spend on bag check. And if we should be on an airline where bags fly free, and you are still in violation...

That said, if you are in good spirits and are making the best of an uncomfortable situation you can have my arm rest, I will stand up to let you in and out of our aisle comfortably, I will ask the attendant for the beverage of your choice while you wait to use the lav and are not at your seat, and I'll let you deplane before me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Geez, you're such a dick! But such a nice dick. :)

One other quickie...

Leaving Miami, Florida, circa 2006...guy gets on the plane, take 4 small lamp shades out of his carry on bag...and proceeds to take each one and carefully place them in their own spot in the overhead bin. I **** you not. We waited for the stewardess to see it and everyone burst out laughing when she said, "Um, who's lamp shades are these??"

You just can't believe some people. No awareness of anything outside of their own self. He honestly thought it was no big deal to take up AN ENTIRE OVERHEAD BIN for his lamp shades.

One other quickie...

Leaving Miami, Florida, circa 2006...guy gets on the plane, take 4 small lamp shades out of his carry on bag...and proceeds to take each one and carefully place them in their own spot in the overhead bin. I **** you not. We waited for the stewardess to see it and everyone burst out laughing when she said, "Um, who's lamp shades are these??"

You just can't believe some people. No awareness of anything outside of their own self. He honestly thought it was no big deal to take up AN ENTIRE OVERHEAD BIN for his lamp shades.
Flying from Tampa and some guy brings on the plane two huge crates of strawberries. I guess they have (or used to have) a big strawberry festival there. I couldn't believe this guy went through all of the trouble to transport them when he could have just gone to the supermarket here for the same strawberries.

Reactions: cto
Flying from Tampa and some guy brings on the plane two huge crates of strawberries. I guess they have (or used to have) a big strawberry festival there. I couldn't believe this guy went through all of the trouble to transport them when he could have just gone to the supermarket here for the same strawberries.
Hey, it's better than live chickens. Back in the 1960's, I was on a small plane on a Caribbean Island when two women got on the plane with live chickens. It was the quintessential third world experience.

I'm so looking forward to my 6 am flight tomorrow. I'll be looking for each and every one of the aforementioned characters.

Hey, it's better than live chickens. Back in the 1960's, I was on a small plane on a Caribbean Island when two women got on the plane with live chickens. It was the quintessential third world experience.
Yes, I've never experience live animals but my wife and I hopped a small ferry in the Carribean that was packed with live produce and other packaged goods. We were the only humans except for the four crew members who were playing dominos the entire way. Nothing beats the experience of watching guys from the Carribean engage in a hotly contested game of dominos.

Even though that ferry had no seats for us to sit on, it still beat the small ferry boat we took in Costa Rica that both motors died in the middle of our journey. The crew started paddling and finally got one of the motors started. When we finally hit land an hour and a half late, we were 18 miles off course. Of course none of the crew spoke english and it was us, another American couple and a couple guys from Germany. Somehow they got us a taxi to drive us to our original destination. It was quite the journey.

You must have some good stories from when you went to Cuba.

One other quickie...

Please tell me you got so slammed you passed out with one (maybe all of them) on your head.