trevor cooney | Syracusefan.com

trevor cooney

pulaski74

Scout Team
Does anyone out there think tc might be better coming off the bench? ala pistons vinnie johnson just wondering. Mark from missouri

He was in the bench role two seasons ago and showed no signs of being that type of player.

He shot 37% last year and that was after a BAD second half of the season. The guy can obviously shoot. I'm not going to throw the towel in on him and banish him to the bench. He is energetic and played great D at the top of the zone and always gets the defenses best effort.

Patterson had a great game don't get me wrong but it was a great game, nothing more. He's not better than Cooney and we have a better chance of winning more games with Cooney playing and starting than Buss.

I like the idea of Patterson and G off the bench more than starting one of them (Gbinije) and bringing Cooney off the bench.

Cooney seems like the kind of shooter who needs to get involved in the game before he knocks down threes in bunches. Kinda like an oven, he has to 'preheat'. He's not a microwave that's just ready to go at all times.

I think TC should start,having other guys show they can hit 3's will only help Cooney get better looks just as having Cooney helps those guys get good looks.

If he continues his shooting woes he will be getting the starting nod like DC was previously...only to get 10 total minutes each game. His defense is what is keeping him on the court.

Does anyone out there think tc might be better coming off the bench? ala pistons vinnie johnson just wondering. Mark from missouri
Cooney is a very good (although streaky) volume 3-point shooter on a team with few other proven 3-point threats. For that reason alone, he must start. The fact that he is an excellent defender at the top of the zone and one of the team's better secondary ball-handlers makes this decision a no-brainer.

I like the idea of Patterson and G off the bench more than starting one of them (Gbinije) and bringing Cooney off the bench.

Cooney seems like the kind of shooter who needs to get involved in the game before he knocks down threes in bunches. Kinda like an oven, he has to 'preheat'. He's not a microwave that's just ready to go at all times.
Patterson did seem like a nice high-energy guy to bring off the bench, looked good.

Patterson did seem like a nice high-energy guy to bring off the bench, looked good.

Agreed, it seemed that not only did he come in energized but he also energized the whole team which I love to see out of bench players. Scoop and Kris where great at this in 09. I like Patterson because he is going to take his open looks with confidence and he is a high energy long armed defender out top which causes some havoc.

Agreed, it seemed that not only did he come in energized but he also energized the whole team which I love to see out of bench players. Scoop and Kris where great at this in 09. I like Patterson because he is going to take his open looks with confidence and he is a high energy long armed defender out top which causes some havoc.

Agreed. He's obviously not always going to shoot 4-5 [or whatever it was] from three point range, but he can always bring energy and tough defense every game, no matter how he's shooting any given night.

It's funny--a couple of weeks ago there was a thread talking about the lineup, how many players would be in the rotation, etc. and Patterson was almost universally considered the 9th man in what would probably be a 7, 7.5, or 8 player rotation.

One exhibition game later, he's perceived by many as an indispensible bench contributor. Funny how quickly opinion can shift.

And more importantly, it is great that Patterson looks like he's capable of providing very solid complimentary bench scoring AND outside shooting -- both things lacking from last year's team.

lets wait and see how Patterson handles it when teams start to pay more attention to him. One thing I do like about him though is he doesn't hesitate to shoot it. Having another offensive and defensive spark off the bench is going to be huge this year

have some faith in TC

Attachments

• coonotto.jpg
    coonotto.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 101
Watching live on Sunday it was obvious TC needs game time to shake off the rust. Streaky or not, he has to come through when the pressure is on. If he can show up like he did vs ND last year this team will be dangerous. If Ron can continue his shooting throughout the season it would be interesting to see how teams would react with Ron playing the 1 and TC at the 2. Gives us two potential three point shooters to open up the post for Roc and McCullough.

Watching live on Sunday it was obvious TC needs game time to shake off the rust. Streaky or not, he has to come through when the pressure is on. If he can show up like he did vs ND last year this team will be dangerous. If Ron can continue his shooting throughout the season it would be interesting to see how teams would react with Ron playing the 1 and TC at the 2. Gives us two potential three point shooters to open up the post for Roc and McCullough.
Welcome to the board! I think it would be a little unrealistic to expect Cooney to be able to consistently duplicate what he did against Notre Dame but would agree he definitely needs to be more consistent. Just the fact that this team has more 3 point options than last years team should greatly help Cooney get better looks but Cooney is going to have to take the ball to the hole more and make people pay for over playing him.

Last edited:

No good replacement for him to start as far as Boeheim is concerned. Clear from the distribution of minutes. I wouldn't count on that changing in the future very much. We don't have many examples through the years of guys emerging over the course of the year and taking someone else's minutes. It either happens pre-season or because of an injury during the year. If Patterson is getting 10-12 minutes at this stage, you can pretty much count on those numbers decreasing through the year in any close game.

The problem is that Cooney should be better. That's what Boeheim and Hopkins have been counting on. He was supposed to be a more athletic, better shooting GMac. I want to say that that is how Hopkins described him coming in. The problem is that GMac had a drive that Cooney just doesn't based on what I've heard. He'll never come close to him as a player here.

No. TC should be the starter. He is a better defender and has more experience. Given the inexperience on the baseline of the zone, it will make it even more important that the perimeter defense knows what they are doing.

Also, a word of caution about Buss. While I liked what I saw on Sunday, let's not forget that Southerland went for 19 with five 3's his Freshman year against Cal State. Look how well that translated to his play the rest of the year...

He just needs to start hitting his shots - period. If he doesn't, he shouldn't start. He deserves to start going into the season - let's just see if he gets it together.

100% percent better - teams gear up for him specifically - they are putting their best man to man defender on him - and Cooney gets completely locked down - I'm not saying he can't be part of the game but he should be mixed in - take some attention off him

Yes, but the blue print is out - do not let him get a open look from 3 - he can't do anything else - that's where he becomes completely ineffective or he starts taking 3's that Kobe can't make - he was only successful when teams didn't know what his game was - after 1/3 of the season it was common knowledge how to take him out of the game - and that's what happened

I think in an ideal world he would come off the bench. He is the like the proverbial fourth outfielder who has much to offer but is over exposed in high doses. Im not sure, however, with this specific team we have better options to start. At least not initially.

His massive drop in shooting percentage as the year wore on must at least have been due in part to fatigue as he had to work really, really hard to get open once he was keyed in on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom