trevor cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

trevor cooney

He shot 37% last year and that was after a BAD second half of the season.

Actually, I'd suggest most of that was before a bad second half :cool: (no crap to you or TC, whom I like). We didn't run much last year, and the defense was invariably able to locate him and get in his grille while TE circled the perimeter. I'm optimistic a more up-tempo pace this year will create more opportunities for all, but especially Trevor, because he can run & fill lanes, go to the basket and finish there. I'm hopeful that will help him by giving his confidence a boost, but also giving the defense something else to worry about.

Triche was 10x the player Cooney is - this is not up for discussion

Ten times? Not buying that. They both work(ed) hard on D and are good defenders, so that's a push. Triche's remarkable athleticism certainly exceeded Cooney's, so he could take bigger men to the basket which we've not really seen Cooney do with any authority. But remember BT was also erratic on offense. He could go off for 20 one game, and then go 3-12 with 4 TO's the next.

Last edited:
I make my mark on this world proving everyone wrong after a bad outing. The potatoes. They are shaking as we speak.
Yours,
Treval Coney

Agree completely. Nobody wants to bury last year's fizzle more than Trevor Cooney.

Actually, I'd suggest most of that was before a bad second half :cool: (no crap to you or TC, whom I like). We didn't run much last year, and the defense was invariably able to locate him and get in his grille while TE circled the perimeter. I'm optimistic a more up-tempo pace this year will create more opportunities for all, but especially Trevor, because he can run & fill lanes, go to the basket and finish there. I'm hopeful that will help him by giving his confidence a boost, but also giving the defense something else to worry about.
To me, that's what he should think to start out with every game. Drive. He's not bad at it. Can shoot foul shots. Handle improved a lot this past year in my opinion. It opens up his game and guessing he's going to be more confident hoisting up treys after getting a couple of points off higher percentage shots.

To me, that's what he should think to start out with every game. Drive. He's not bad at it. Can shoot foul shots. Handle improved a lot this past year in my opinion. It opens up his game and guessing he's going to be more confident hoisting up treys after getting a couple of points off higher percentage shots.

Agree T, seems I recall seeing a few games last year when he was wrestling with his shot but got a flush or two off turnovers, and you could just feel the whole gym get a lift, and he'd come back up the floor stoked. I can't wait to see some more of that!

So you expect us to go six deep?

Nah.
Just saying that Buss or BJ will come on after G based on need rather than a set 7 1/2 man rotation.

Just saying that Buss or BJ will come on after G based on need rather than a set 7 1/2 man rotation.

I don't agree. I think Bus is a given in the lineup--especially if G ends up playing a lot at SF [which was the substitution pattern in the first exhibition game]. That's 7 right there.

And I wouldn't write BJ off so readily. Let's see how things unfold over the next few games.

I don't agree. I think Bus is a given in the lineup--especially if G ends up playing a lot at SF [which was the substitution pattern in the first exhibition game]. That's 7 right there.

And I wouldn't write BJ off so readily. Let's see how things unfold over the next few games.
You may be right about Buss simply because he can put in decent defense and hustle even if his shot is not dropping. I'm not writing off BJ, I just question how much JB will use him ahead of G replacing the forwards. You are right, it could change as the year goes on.

I'll let you guys battle it out over the rotation. ;)
I think the next exhibition and then the first two easy home game that are part of our preseason tourney will tell us much more. The games at the garden could well be right back to a very limited rotation however.

That's the key. Patterson could get minutes spelling Joseph [helping to make up for the glaring team shortcoming of not having a true backup point guard], but still play off the ball offensively whele Gbinije runs the point.

Patterson's handle is weak, but I'm of the mindset that he and Cooney can chip in a bit to help out with ball handling responsibilities, and with Gbinije's experience running the point last year, we'll be fine when Kaleb needs to sit for a few minutes each game. And in terms of scoring, his confidence is through the roof [and was last year, as well]. Kid has no conscience, and yet he takes pretty good shots. That's an important combo.

I must be shell shocked from football because I can't stop thinking of the absolute worst scenario where something happens to Joseph. I was holding my breathe every time Ennis drove to the hoop last year. One injury to that position and our season is over. I'd be extremely nervous with either Cooney, or Patterson having full pg duties. I'd be slightly less nervous with Gbinije running the point. I guess I am try to say please don't get hurt Kaleb.

Depending on Trevor Cooney as a significant, vital part of the offense seems to me to be a very high risk strategy for JB and I know he knows this.

Cooney's 38% from 3 pt range is illusory as mean averages frequently are. You have to look at the shape of the distribution. Against OOC opponents he shot almost 50%. But in the ACC he shot 31% and if you take out the ND Game (9 for 12) in the other 18 ACC games he was 27% (35 for 129).

In 7 of these 19 ACC games, he shot 13%% (7/52).

He's too erratic to be a dependable to option for SU. He needs to take 3's when he's open and the game situation allows for it.

The idea that he is such a powerful potential force that opponents overload their defenses to cover him allowing the other 4 SU players more freedom seems to me to be a flight of fantasy. Opposing ACC coaches just aren't that dumb.

Depending on Trevor Cooney as a significant, vital part of the offense seems to me to be a very high risk strategy for JB and I know he knows this.

Cooney's 38% from 3 pt range is illusory as mean averages frequently are. You have to look at the shape of the distribution. Against OOC opponents he shot almost 50%. But in the ACC he shot 31% and if you take out the ND Game (9 for 12) in the other 18 ACC games he was 27% (35 for 129).

In 7 of these 19 ACC games, he shot 13%% (7/52).

He's too erratic to be a dependable to option for SU. He needs to take 3's when he's open and the game situation allows for it.

The idea that he is such a powerful potential force that opponents overload their defenses to cover him allowing the other 4 SU players more freedom seems to me to be a flight of fantasy. Opposing ACC coaches just aren't that dumb.
Someone needs to shoot 3s in today's game, and Cooney is clearly the best candidate on this team. As for his erratic shooting performance in 20013-14, who's to say he won't become a more consistent shooter this season with a full year's experience under his belt?

Someone needs to shoot 3s in today's game, and Cooney is clearly the best candidate on this team. As for his erratic shooting performance in 20013-14, who's to say he won't become a more consistent shooter this season with a full year's experience under his belt?

And who's to say he won't go backwards.

We better hope that Cooney's 3-pt shooting isn't something SU has to depend on.

Townie72 said:

Well then there's a lot of dumb ACC coaches, because that's exactly what happened.

And who's to say he won't go backwards.

We better hope that Cooney's 3-pt shooting isn't something SU has to depend on.

The guys got two years left. Talk about Andy Rautins 2.0.

As I've mentioned before, Cooney is too one dimensional. He hovers around the arc hoping for a kick out or a quick pass rotation to get his shot off. He does not finish well at the hoop (the few times he tries). I feel he would help himself and the team if he would drive and pull up for a 12-15 jumper. He has good elevation and this would add another dimension to his game that defenders would need to respect instead of playing up on him at the arc. This may well open up the inside a little as well. I really hope he adds this to his game.

His massive drop in shooting percentage as the year wore on must at least have been due in part to fatigue as he had to work really, really hard to get open once he was keyed in on.
I think that's a part of it, but he missed a lot of open ones too that weren't of the "run around through all kinds of crazy sets and screens" variety.

Well then there's a lot of dumb ACC coaches, because that's exactly what happened.
Man-to-man is man-to-man.

If you are unconcerned about a shooting guards ability to drive to the hoop, you can tighten up your defense. More 2-12 performances in 14-15 will be a huge problem.

OttoinGrotto said:
I think that's a part of it, but he missed a lot of open ones too that weren't of the "run around through all kinds of crazy sets and screens" variety.

Watch any game over. Very few and far between.

Couple of observations:

Not sure how much to take away from JB's substitution patterns against Carleton. Many here are looking at it as an absolute sign of what is to come for the season. If that is the case remember Cooney played 35 minutes.

Based on the minutes distribution, JB played to win this one rather than to develop anyone for the down the road. I say that because Carleton only had two guys bigger than 6'6" even appear in the game and they were both freshman and played 13 and 6 minutes. So how much of the substitution pattern is attributable to us not having to deal with any real size and JB's desire to win the game ie. not play our size against a smaller rotation???

The attention that Cooney draws may be as almost as valuable as the points he scores. A heavy focus on him at the perimeter should help to open things inside for CMAC and Rak. If he draws that attention and still puts up a lot of points...should be very good indeed.

Finally its one exhibition game people. Don't be too quick to change your thinking about how things are going to unfold based on one exhibition game. I think we know that Cooney, Joseph and McCullough will get big minutes and Rak will get as many minutes as he can handle with two things impacting those minutes (i) his ability to remain focused and show intensity and (ii) his ability to avoid foul trouble. Beyond that I think there are a lot of variables that play into how the minutes are distributed.

I may have thought that Mark, but he needs to make his first couple a lot of the time, if there is any hope of him coming off the bench. His D is good enough to keep him starting. I think the answer is for him to drive more...get layups then go outside. Tell ya, I know its early, but if Patterson keeps playing like this and Cooney lays up 2-9's there will be some pressure fora change of some sort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom