trevor cooney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

trevor cooney

I want to see him play more like he did against BC up at Chestnut Hill last season. He was a FORCE that game. Aggressive, driving the lane, etc. Plus those jams he threw down were pretty sick!

I hope JB gives Buss a fair shot at some decent minutes. My lean is that he will, sans an observation Anthony made a few years back - You know how Boeheim does some people.

I though the said "You know how Boeheim do how he do."

I hope JB gives Buss a fair shot at some decent minutes. My lean is that he will, sans an observation Anthony made a few years back - You know how Boeheim does some people.

I'll be shocked if Patterson isn't a regular part of the rotation. He isn't going to go 4-5 from three point range every game--that's for sure--but we need scoring and we need shooting--both things that he provides. Also factor in that he's a good defender, and he'll play consistent minutes every game. Mark it down.

Boeheim_Do.jpg

I'll be shocked if Patterson isn't a regular part of the rotation. He isn't going to go 4-5 from three point range every game--that's for sure--but we need scoring and we need shooting--both things that he provides. Also factor in that he's a good defender, and he'll play consistent minutes every game. Mark it down.
The fact that he can play good defense and shows a lot of hustle guarantee he'll be given a chance to show what he has. Even JB has said he's not counting on him to hit 3s like he did the other day.

I agree with the first part but disagree on the 2nd part. Patterson's time is going to be more affected by how Roberson and Johnson perform at SF than by how Joseph/Cooney perform. By that I mean Gbinije is going to play and the more he has to play at the 3 spot the more time there will be for Patterson to help out in the back court. IF either Roberson or Johnson step up then Patterson is no better than the #4 guard and he will get freshman year MCW minutes at best. I'm not saying that's what I would like to see happen or what should happen, just my opinion of what will happen after watching almost every SU game since 1976.

I agree with the first part but disagree on the 2nd part. Patterson's time is going to be more affected by how Roberson and Johnson perform at SF than by how Joseph/Cooney perform. By that I mean Gbinije is going to play and the more he has to play at the 3 spot the more time there will be for Patterson to help out in the back court. IF either Roberson or Johnson step up then Patterson is no better than the #4 guard and he will get freshman year MCW minutes at best. I'm not saying that's what I would like to see happen or what should happen, just my opinion of what will happen after watching almost every SU game since 1976.

I think Patterson will get his chances but in general I agree that how many minutes are available for him to play probably have more to do with how well Roberson plays specifically and obviously if BJ becomes a consistent shooter he can play either the 2 or the 3.

Historically, I agree with you. But I wouldn't count on that happening in this case.

Patterson is going to play and be part of the regular rotation. I've believed that and suggested it all offseason--so my opinion isn't just based upon how he performed in an exhibition game.

The fact that he can play good defense and shows a lot of hustle guarantee he'll be given a chance to show what he has. Even JB has said he's not counting on him to hit 3s like he did the other day.

Yep but the mere threat of being a guy that CAN go off from deep means teams can't leave him alone. Both you and RF2044 are correct though that Patterson's minutes are not purely based on offense as he offers very good defense and consistent high energy effort which are two things JB values in his players.

You might be correct with the exact wording ... at least it sounds right. I paraphrased the meaning I took from his slang and should have indicated so. I think it was about playing time for either Waiters or MCW as freshman. Either way, the comment stuck with me ... neither a basher nor hailer ... very much a JB respecter.

I honestly thought Patterson might be the 4th guard odd man out this year, not so much because of what he brings or didn't bring to the table but just because I couldn't work into my mind how he would fit into the rotation. Watching Mike play the 3 so well and also still be the PG on offense makes it much different and easier for JB to roll out a multitude of combinations. I think we may see a lot of line ups in these next couple of games.

You might be correct with the exact wording ... at least it sounds right. I paraphrased the meaning I took from his slang and should have indicated so. I think it was about playing time for either Waiters or MCW as freshman. Either way, the comment stuck with me ... neither a basher nor hailer ... very much a JB respecter.

Whatever the meaning it is one of the funnier quotes you will come across. I took it more to mean JB is going to do it his way because he's JB than a specific reference to how he plays certain players. Who knows.

I honestly thought Patterson might be the 4th guard odd man out this year, not so much because of what he brings or didn't bring to the table but just because I couldn't work into my mind how he would fit into the rotation. Watching Mike play the 3 so well and also still be the PG on offense makes it much different and easier for JB to roll out a multitude of combinations. I think we may see a lot of line ups in these next couple of games.

That's the key. Patterson could get minutes spelling Joseph [helping to make up for the glaring team shortcoming of not having a true backup point guard], but still play off the ball offensively whele Gbinije runs the point.

Patterson's handle is weak, but I'm of the mindset that he and Cooney can chip in a bit to help out with ball handling responsibilities, and with Gbinije's experience running the point last year, we'll be fine when Kaleb needs to sit for a few minutes each game. And in terms of scoring, his confidence is through the roof [and was last year, as well]. Kid has no conscience, and yet he takes pretty good shots. That's an important combo.

Last edited:

1976 (+/- 1) is about when I first became a fan after going to my first game at the Rochester War Memorial against St Bonaventure. Unlike you, I've probably missed 100 games over that time span but only a few these past 10 years. From Rochester (same HS as John Smith) and attended Lemoyne for a year ... foolishly opting out for a UPS paycheck.

I don't post often because I tend to do so more from the heart than from reason, although I am sometimes capable of the latter. I like Patterson's hustle and want to see him have a good SU experience after the Crean crap. Shooting aside, he can be a disruptive force defensively if given the chance. Carleton players were aware of his presence/reach and he created a good degree of hesitance in their flow. Rewatch their eyes. Loved his block, it reminded me of Waiters' block against Marquette. JB doesn't need to wear the team down this year; Patterson is part of the answer. JB will never see another 6-0 run with tired legs.

RF2044 said:

Were you one of the posters that said the same thing about BJ? Something will have to give. If both Buss and BJ are truly going to be part of the rotation, CMac will have to be the backup to Rak. I just don't see a scenario that JB regularly plays 9 guys every game.

Were you one of the posters that said the same thing about BJ? Something will have to give. If both Buss and BJ are truly going to be part of the rotation, CMac will have to be the backup to Rak. I just don't see a scenario that JB regularly plays 9 guys every game.

Yes, if BJ can shoot the ball effectively, then I envision him garnering playing time this year, as well. Sunday's performance was not a good sign in terms of his readiness, but I'm certainly not alone in expressing the belief that BJ could be a bench scorer for this team. And I am not going to write him off after one poor performance in an exhibition game [although he admittedly needs to show more starting this Monday for my prediction to come true].

CMac could very well be the backup to Rak, also given what we saw transpire on Sunday from Obokoh. That would put the rotation at 8, not 9.

Lots of factors still in play before the rotation solidifies:

--Will Roberson improve or struggle and be reduced to the token starter on this year's squad?
--Does Obokoh show improvement, or is he just too green to play this year?
--What happens with Coleman?
--Does BJ emerge, or is he a year away?
--Does an experienced player like Gbinije supplant Roberson in the starting lineup?

Impossible to accurately project the rotation until we have a little more game action to evaluate.

Last edited:
Yes, if BJ can shoot the ball effectively, then I envision him garnering playing time this year, as well. Sunday's performance was not a good sign in terms of his readiness, but I'm certainly not alone in expressing the belief that BJ could be a bench scorer for this team.

CMac could very well be the backup to Rak, also given what we saw transpire on Sunday from Obokoh. That would put the rotation at 8, not 9.

Lots of factors still in play before the rotation solidifies:

--Will Roberson improve or struggle and be reduced to the token starter on this year's squad?
--Does Obokoh show improvement, or is he just too green to play this year?
--What happens with Coleman?
--Does BJ emerge, or is he a year away?
--Does an experienced player like Gbinije supplant Roberson in the starting lineup?

Impossible to accurately project the rotation until we have a little more game action to evaluate.

If anything the Carlton game caused more rotation questions than it answered.

RF2044 said:
Yes, if BJ can shoot the ball effectively, then I envision him garnering playing time this year, as well. Sunday's performance was not a good sign in terms of his readiness, but I'm certainly not alone in expressing the belief that BJ could be a bench scorer for this team. And I am not going to write him off after one poor performance in an exhibition game [although he admittedly needs to show more starting this Monday for my prediction to come true]. CMac could very well be the backup to Rak, also given what we saw transpire on Sunday from Obokoh. That would put the rotation at 8, not 9. Lots of factors still in play before the rotation solidifies: --Will Roberson improve or struggle and be reduced to the token starter on this year's squad? --Does Obokoh show improvement, or is he just too green to play this year? --What happens with Coleman? --Does BJ emerge, or is he a year away? --Does an experienced player like Gbinije supplant Roberson in the starting lineup? Impossible to accurately project the rotation until we have a little more game action to evaluate.

I'm one that thinks CMac will play some 5. But I'm not convinced yet, as you are, that both Patterson and BJ will be in the regular rotation. I don't base that upon 1 exhibition either. Could happen but there's no guarantee.

I'm one that thinks CMac will play some 5. But I'm not convinced yet, as you are, that both Patterson and BJ will be in the regular rotation. I don't base that upon 1 exhibition either. Could happen but there's no guarantee.

I'm not "convinced" about BJ, although I believe he has the tools and versatility to provde something that this team needs. I'm nervous about his physique and how it holds up in a conference like the ACC, but if Damone Brown could play as a soph, BJ should be able to, too.

Like I said above, Sunday's performance from BJ was not a step in the right direction in terms of solidifying a place in the rotation. That said, it is too early to write him or anyone else off. He could bounce back and have 17 against our overmatched next exhibition opponent, and the waters would get even muddier.

substitutions will depend on a game by game circumstances. Had Rak not been in foul trouble, Roberson struggled and Joseph suffered leg cramps Buss probably would not of played as much as he did. Although going forward I do think Buss earned minutes by his play sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
I think both BJ and Buss will primarily be situation players rather than any regular rotation. Beyond G, I don't see any rotation players at this point.

A lot of this is starting to sound like Triche redux. And JB will handle it the same way.

Like times 1 million. Cooney is starting until he graduates, regardless of his production, Lord Boeheim has willed it.

Having said that, that's what drives me crazy about JB. We had 2 lotto picks riding pine behind Brandon Triche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom