Tribute to SU Vets | Syracusefan.com

Tribute to SU Vets

Shenexon

All American
As we approach Veterans Day, I wanted to pay tribute to SU alums, fans, and relatives that served in the military. My dad was a big SU fan who got a graduate degree from SU in the late 1950s. He was a big fan of Jim Brown, Floyd Little, & Ernie Davis who played in his era. It was his dream that I go to SU and he helped to make that possible. He was a glider paratrooper in World War II and was involved in the Battle of the Bulge, Operation Varsity, and the occupation of Berlin. He never wanted to talk to us about his wartime experience, but organized the reunions of his company, the 517th signal company 17th airborne division, for the last 20 years of his life. It was important to him. This week I came across a news photo of him receiving a bronze star following the Rhine crossing and am using it as my avatar to honor him and others from the SU fan community who have served our country in the military. I'd like to specifically thank TexanMark & JarHeadJim for their service. I know there are many vets who played for SU, went to SU, or are fans of SU. To all of you that served, thank you.

Who would you choose to honor this week?

dad1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom