Triche lot of Pine Time | Syracusefan.com

Triche lot of Pine Time

You can tell JB would rather have Scoop and Dion in there. No doubt BT played well in the first half, but Dion and Scoop also played great, so BT was the unlucky 3rd guard.

I'd almost rather sub him in for Joseph and play 3 guards... Why not let Southy sub for KJo for even 2 minutes:noidea:

STARTERS
MIN
FGM-A
3PM-A
FTM-A
OREB
REB
AST
STL
BLK
TO
PF
PTS
Brandon Triche, G
5-7
1-2
0-1
Scoop Jardine, G
5-8
2-3
2-2
Dion Waiters, G
5-11
1-1
2-2

Yes - Brandon worked hard, was efficient with his chances, made aggressive moves. Really helped us in first minutes when not much else was there. Nice overall game - good to see.
Hard to sub out Dion and Scoop in a game like that but having 3 guards of this quality is a luxury.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.354518,-71.052777

Guess you didnt hear JB's Presser:
He came out and said Triche was best guard...should have played him more. Was putting him in for Dion who loafed on a 3 pt shot, but then Dion hit a few buckets quickly before Triche could come in...also, Triche was sitting underneath scorers table for about 3 minutes before JB called him back.

3 guards and one will not get the time. Unfortunate because Triche was playing well and had the scorer mentality last night...and was making his shots.

I noticed Dirty only played 4 minutes...anyone hear what the deal was with him?

CJ had an awesome game and JB wasn't going to take him out, however thought he could have come in for a little for Kris in the 2nd half.

Missed his first two shots and Fair played very well last night. Finding minutes for guys is not JB's strong suit. He likes to ride the hot hand and his starters. I actually thought that we could have possible used a lineup with KJo, James and CJ across the back line in the second half last night. Baye didn't give us a lot over the last 10-15 minutes, Wiscy did not even really attempt to go inside with the ball and James could have out jumped Wiscy's bigs for rebounds.

If I had to guess, the deal was that SU's gameplan was to attack the basket against Wisconsin, which had slower forwards and lacked shot blocking. Fair and Joseph are better at driving than Southerland. Fair was having a monster game so Boeheim wasn't going to take him out. Joseph wasn't as effective but Boeheim probably decided to stick with his experienced senior.

Triche's pull up 3 was a thing of beauty. My brother shed a single tear for his form on that one

BT played well. But there is no doubt that Dion is too good an offensive force to sit as well as the best defender at the top of the zone. He has to play. And Scoop was very good last night --except for the bad TO at the end of the 1st half. So BT was the odd man out. He still made a big contribution in his 19 minutes. Next year he'll be out there 35 minutes a game.

JB is gonna ride scoop... May be our undoing or sheer genious... As scoop goes we go... JB just has a soft spot for him...

JB is gonna ride scoop... May be our undoing or sheer genious... As scoop goes we go... JB just has a soft spot for him...
That's baloney. If the game situation dictates he will sit Scoop down the stretch. He's done it multiple times this season.

BT played well. But there is no doubt that Dion is too good an offensive force to sit as well as the best defender at the top of the zone. He has to play. And Scoop was very good last night --except for the bad TO at the end of the 1st half. So BT was the odd man out. He still made a big contribution in his 19 minutes. Next year he'll be out there 35 minutes a game.

One correction. Triche IS the best defender we have at the top because he is the only one that doesn't take possessions off and it's not even close. When Wisky went on that 3 point barrage in the 2nd half, he should have been in there instead of Scoop. People see Scoops sometimes good play on offense, but he kills us on defense almost every game. Thankfully, he busted his butt and played great on defense that last possession. But he and KJo are far to lackadaisical on defense over the course of a game.

But having said that, JB has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS given preference to his seniors. Always has, always will. There has to be a huge gap for him not to. Seniors are also always the last ones to come out of blowouts as he tries to get them those extra few minutes to "pad" the stats. Therefore, expect Triche next year to both lead the team in MPG and PPG.

When KJo was shooting 1 and 1 with 20 seconds left, why wouldn't JB sub in Triche for Scoop? Triche is a better defender and a better FT shooter. Seems like a no brainer.

From one of our own...
images

When KJo was shooting 1 and 1 with 20 seconds left, why wouldn't JB sub in Triche for Scoop? Triche is a better defender and a better FT shooter. Seems like a no brainer.

Wasn't it BT that inbounded the ball to KJo when he was fouled? And...didn't JB actually sub him out for the defensive possession.

I'm not sure why, but I don't think JB agrees that BT is our best defensive presence at the top of the zone, nor that he is that money from the line....otherwise I would think he would have stayed in the game following the free throw attempts and would not been the inbounder in a situation where we knew they were trying to give the foul.

One correction. Triche IS the best defender we have at the top because he is the only one that doesn't take possessions off and it's not even close. When Wisky went on that 3 point barrage in the 2nd half, he should have been in there instead of Scoop. People see Scoops sometimes good play on offense, but he kills us on defense almost every game. Thankfully, he busted his butt and played great on defense that last possession. But he and KJo are far to lackadaisical on defense over the course of a game.

But having said that, JB has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS given preference to his seniors. Always has, always will. There has to be a huge gap for him not to. Seniors are also always the last ones to come out of blowouts as he tries to get them those extra few minutes to "pad" the stats. Therefore, expect Triche next year to both lead the team in MPG and PPG.
I would have to disagree. Yes, Brandon is a good defender and does show a consistent effort. But Dion has really stepped up his D game and is currently the best up top defender. Dion is quick and can be really disruptive.

The Luke Winn SI article really highlighted Dion's D. Winn's analysis showed Dion at around 82 while Brandon was 87, a significant difference.

While it may appear an inconsistent effort out of Dion that may just be setting the opponent up. Winn's numbers show Dion to be outstanding.

I would have to disagree. Yes, Brandon is a good defender and does show a consistent effort. But Dion has really stepped up his D game and is currently the best up top defender. Dion is quick and can be really disruptive.

The Luke Winn SI article really highlighted Dion's D. Winn's analysis showed Dion at around 82 while Brandon was 87, a significant difference.

While it may appear an inconsistent effort out of Dion that may just be setting the opponent up. Winn's numbers show Dion to be outstanding.

Dion is the best at making steals because he goes for a lot of them. But that will also cause you to be out of position or leave a guy open. While not as often as Scoop, he too takes possessions off. It's why JB waas going to pul him at the 5 minute mark of the first halve. It's not always about the ability but also about the "want to". Thankfully Dion does make some steals and/or is disruptive at times because players that are always reaching, yet don't disrupt anything, are the worst defenders. Only defender we ever had that could both be disruptive, make steals and also be a great in your face defender was Jason hart.

Dion is the best on the top of the zone because of his speed, Triche is a little slow getting out on a shooter. A lot of the threes they made were KJ's fault, he gambles to much and leaves a guy wide open on the wing. Also next time we go on a run can JB just keep the guys in that are hot. He subbed Dion and Keita out at the 2:30 mark after getting up 10 and we didn't score again after. Dion should really be getting 30+ minutes. Another reason Triche didn't play much in the 2nd half is he had two turnovers in 19 minutes

That's baloney. If the game situation dictates he will sit Scoop down the stretch. He's done it multiple times this season.

Couldn't agree more. Except I'm a "bologna", not a "baloney".

JB will play the five that he thinks will give him the best chance to win. Even if one hasn't seen his previous 35 years or so, just watched this year and his patterns. Sure, he prefers good Scoop to break down the D but will not hesitate to sit him if he thinks BT is a better fit. He was ready to pull Dion after Dion didn't work through a screen but BT sat at the table forever. The biggest game of the year and our best off threat (dion) was about to get sat down for a lesson...

Dion is the best on the top of the zone because of his speed, Triche is a little slow getting out on a shooter.

Go watch the game again. It's not always who is quicker if one makes more effort than another. Triche is always active and always trying to get out on the shooters. My point was Scoop and Dion (to a lesser degree) don't put as much effort into it on a consistent basis. That is a fact and why the coaches get all over them about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom