Trivia Question | Syracusefan.com

Trivia Question

SWC75

Bored Historian
These are good times for the City of Philadelphia. The Phillies are tied with the Astros in the World Series and the Eagles are undefeated and looking like the best team in the NFL.

When has the same city had the reigning World Series and Super Bowl champion?

I just figured that out in my mind. Can you come up with the answer and how many of them did you have to look up?

Without looking I would guess Patriots and Red Sox but couldn’t tell you a year.

Without looking - confirm JustPherU , the first time it happened was after the 2004 NFL season (so Feb 2005) when the Patriots won the SB (against the Eagles) about 3 months after the Red Sox beat the Cardinals.

Let's see the next likely candidate pair would be the Red Sox beating the Dodgers in 2018 and the Patriots... when did they beat the SeaHawks/Falcons/Rams? Counting backwards - SB Champs after '21 is Rams, after '20 is Bucs, after '19 is somebody non-Patriots (Chiefs I think) and after '18 was Patriots beating the Rams.

So, two instances that I can think of, both Red Sox & Patriots, after the 2004 and 2018 seasons.

Without looking - confirm JustPherU , the first time it happened was after the 2004 NFL season (so Feb 2005) when the Patriots won the SB (against the Eagles) about 3 months after the Red Sox beat the Cardinals.

Let's see the next likely candidate pair would be the Red Sox beating the Dodgers in 2018 and the Patriots... when did they beat the SeaHawks/Falcons/Rams? Counting backwards - SB Champs after '21 is Rams, after '20 is Bucs, after '19 is somebody non-Patriots (Chiefs I think) and after '18 was Patriots beating the Rams.

So, two instances that I can think of, both Red Sox & Patriots, after the 2004 and 2018 seasons.

Those two are right. There are four more and another 'sort of'.

NY Giants and Yankees - late 2000's. Trying to remember without looking it up. 08 or 09?

Without looking - Jets and Mets, Jets after the '68 season (so early 1969) and Mets after the '69 season.
Without knowing the years I'll guess Baltimore Colts and Orioles in early 70s, Steelers and Pirates in late 70s.

NY Giants and Yankees - late 2000's. Trying to remember without looking it up. 08 or 09?

Nope. Giants beat the Patriots in 2008 but the Phillies won that year. The Yankees won in '09.

Without looking - Jets and Mets, Jets after the '68 season (so early 1969) and Mets after the '69 season.
Without knowing the years I'll guess Baltimore Colts and Orioles in early 70s, Steelers and Pirates in late 70s.

Bingo, Bingo and Bingo. The "sort of" is The Niners winning in 1989 and 90, (after the 1988 and 1989 seasons) and the Oakland A's winning the earthquake series in '89. It's the "Bay Area". Those who haven't lived there tend to see Oakland as a suburb of San Francisco, but I doubt Oakland does. Still there must have been sports fans in that area that were happy with those results.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom