Trouble at Duke? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trouble at Duke?

Hilarious duke logic, the report is all fluff clearly. Not like they're testifying under oath or anything. Oh wait...also just because Zions camp wanted a house, a job, and 6 figures but didn't get it from KU, why would he go to school for free.

Hilarious duke logic, the report is all fluff clearly. Not like they're testifying under oath or anything. Oh wait...also just because Zions camp wanted a house, a job, and 6 figures but didn't get it from KU, why would he go to school for free.
I feel bad for K. Can he help it if the top 5 players every year want to play at Duke? Even when they play the same position?

no, SU and its fans are legit victims when other schools choose to play along.
Maybe we're clean in the current situation, but I've heard it said that SU dropped our own 'bags' in the 80s and 90s. Not sure if that stuff is true, but generally my impression is that all the big boys have been playing this game for a long time. Some get caught, some don't. But nobody's really that clean.

Yikes. No offense, but maybe not a good analogy. Who's the victim here? The kids, who manipulate an already corrupt system to make bank for themselves and their family? The fans, who know the deal but watch anyway? Certainly not the coaches and shoe companies. Unless you count the concept of 'integrity', this whole deal is about as victimless a crime as there is.
I don't even see a crime. It's the violation of a private organizations rules. NCAA rules are NOT laws and should NOT be investigated by the FBI or any other law organization.

Maybe we're clean in the current situation, but I've heard it said that SU dropped our own 'bags' in the 80s and 90s. Not sure if that stuff is true, but generally my impression is that all the big boys have been playing this game for a long time. Some get caught, some don't. But nobody's really that clean.

SU has been on probation twice. They have served their time for mistakes made. My problem(and probably everyone else’s problem) is that some of these other schools are seemingly allowed to cheat with no repurcussions.

If SU had paid anyone in the last 20 years I’m sure they would’ve caught them because the program was investigated forever, raked over the coals and hammered for every offense no matter how minor.

I don't even see a crime. It's the violation of a private organizations rules. NCAA rules are NOT laws and should NOT be investigated by the FBI or any other law organization.

There's a certain thing called tax evasion and money laundering that are definitely crimes of the white collar variety.

And we have paid for it twice. Other schools keep avoiding investigations.

High school athletes are some of the best shakedown artists in the USA. Bribe me to come and play for you. Feds have an in to investigate since except for a couple of small institutions, all these schools private and state gorge themsleves on fed money. Hence FBI be snooping on em all. Institutional rules cannot conflict with gov rules and regs.

I believe the FBI's involved due to wire fraud, bribery, etc. charges, not NCAA rule infractions.

under what circumstances could Z. Williamson be ineligible this year at Duke?

I believe the FBI's involved due to wire fraud, bribery, etc. charges, not NCAA rule infractions.
2 things: 1) if the feds want to drill into this, they can (and still might) interview Zion. Then the pressure to be truthful would go up (if he lies it's a federal crime); and 2) in a better world, in which the NCAA actually had some integrity, they would immediately investigate a player - and his destination school - revealed in a federal criminal trial to have announced that he's not going to commit unless he gets a bag of cash, housing and job opportunities.

Last edited:
SU has been on probation twice. They have served their time for mistakes made. My problem(and probably everyone else’s problem) is that some of these other schools are seemingly allowed to cheat with no repurcussions.

If SU had paid anyone in the last 20 years I’m sure they would’ve caught them because the program was investigated forever, raked over the coals and hammered for every offense no matter how minor.

I don't like the idea that schools can cheat with impunity either---it's antithetical to the idea of fair completion. And I really don't know if I believe what I was told about SU and 'bags' (it was from someone who played in the 80s, at a different college, and was basically gossip), but my gut tells me there's probably been some recruiting situations--things we don't know about--under JB's watch that might make us all a little uncomfortable. And to my original (and main) point, the idea of victimhood in the sports world needs to be thought about carefully before making comparisons to #METOO.

2 things: 1) if the feds want to drill into this, they can (and still might) interview Zion. Then the stakes go up (if he lies it's a federal crime); and 2) in a better world, in which the NCAA actually had some integrity, they would immediately investigate a player - and his destination school - revealed in a federal criminal trial to have announced that he's not going to commit unless he gets a bag of cash, housing for his family and job opportunities.
Right, it could get very interesting. Does the FBI have the cojones to go there with Duke though?

And we have paid for it twice. Other schools keep avoiding investigations.
I think there's definitely some truth to this. Some have been caught, some haven't. And reasons for that probably involve A LOT of politics.

Right, it could get very interesting. Does the FBI have the cojones to go there with Duke though?
The feds could care less what the name of the school is ... (or what party a suspect belongs to I might add).

FBI is one thing.

NCAA is another. They want to look the other way here IMO. Look what happened with UNC.
Yup. It's just not in the NCAA's financial interest to take down it's own flagship programs.

Not entered into evidence and doesn’t directly implicate Duke. Obviously pretty easy for us to connect the dots but Duke won’t be punished for this.
These tapes will be "Nixoned"

we got outrageously punished for the most minor crimes of all time after a multi year investigation.

Cuse fans and program are definitely more victims that most other major schools.

Yup. It's just not in the NCAA's financial interest to take down it's own flagship programs.
tough to square that belief with the way they went after usc football, a flagship program in the #1 money sport. that is a top 5 all time program that was forced not only to vacate wins, but a national title. and a heisman trophy, the only time it has ever been forfeited.

tough to square that belief with the way they went after usc football, a flagship program in the #1 money sport. that is a top 5 all time program that was forced not only to vacate wins, but a national title. and a heisman trophy, the only time it has ever been forfeited.
You may be right. Will be fun to watch either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom