Trouble at Duke? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Trouble at Duke?

I don't even see a crime. It's the violation of a private organizations rules. NCAA rules are NOT laws and should NOT be investigated by the FBI or any other law organization.
Unless he actually got paid and didn't report the income on his taxes.

If it's just based off of what was tweeted, the conversation isn't with Zion. It's just someone saying that they were told that Zion wants money; that's not enough.

If they have more up their sleeves that could prove Zion took money from Duke, then we'll see, but this ain't it.

To be fair it's a taped conversation with a Kansas assistant coach saying
I don't even see a crime. It's the violation of a private organizations rules. NCAA rules are NOT laws and should NOT be investigated by the FBI or any other law organization.

So you think this whole FBI thing is just for laughs? Crimes were committed

The NCAA doesn't want to find a problem with this.

See UNC

There's a certain thing called tax evasion and money laundering that are definitely crimes of the white collar variety.
The FBI supposedly picked up and ran with this once this was literally dumped into their laps because what was being done was considered committing a fraud against institutions which receive Federal funds, such as research money and Pell Grant money. Plus, wire fraud enters into it because they're talking on telephones and the people involved crossed state lines while committing their crimes. When you cross a state line it becomes a Federal offense.

The thing to remember is that this case developed out of some sort of totally unrelated fraud case because the guy they were investigating in that case somehow turned out to be a money guy for Adidas. When they started the investigation, they had less than no idea it would turn into this.

Unless the FBI finds the Nike bag man I doubt anything happens to Duke or Zion. Otherwise it's just a rumor spread by 2 dudes doing their own Shady thing.

tough to square that belief with the way they went after usc football, a flagship program in the #1 money sport. that is a top 5 all time program that was forced not only to vacate wins, but a national title. and a heisman trophy, the only time it has ever been forfeited.

There is so much that goes into whether penalties are assessed or not that we don't really pay attention to, such as what proof of violations do they truly have, did a school fall on its sword and self report, are there credible witnesses that are willing to go on the record, is there a paper trail of some sort.

I suspect what we see as an unwillingness to pursue is more likely just a case where they don't have the substantiation they need to warrant pursuit. Some schools may be better at closing ranks, admitting nothing and not leaving a paper trail than others. I would think in general these cases are very difficult to prosecute because they are "victimless" crimes and the schools/boosters have gotten pretty good over the years at finding ways to do things that don't leave a trail.

I think in both cases our penalties were the result of impermissible benefits or actions with respect to enrolled athletes as opposed to anything going to prospective athletes as inducement to come to Syracuse (ie. recruiting violations)

Last edited:
Hilarious duke logic, the report is all fluff clearly. Not like they're testifying under oath or anything. Oh wait...also just because Zions camp wanted a house, a job, and 6 figures but didn't get it from KU, why would he go to school for free.
This guy Zion is the real deal. I’ve never seen a man that big have that decent a handle and is agile. He comes like a freight train and I don’t know if anyone will like taking a charge against him. Chukwu will have his hands full. Zion can step to the line and sink it. We are gonna have to run that game to wear him down. Gotta beat them this year!

This guy Zion is the real deal. I’ve never seen a man that big have that decent a handle and is agile. He comes like a freight train and I don’t know if anyone will like taking a charge against him. Chukwu will have his hands full. Zion can step to the line and sink it. We are gonna have to run that game to wear him down. Gotta beat them this year!
I'm not sure who I would rather have guard him, he seems more PFish but might play the 5? Chukwu or Marek vs 250+ lol

Edit: let's see him against actual P5 competition too first. He looks great against small teams.

Pack it in. Lucky for us they don't have a single guy that is good at shooting the 3.

Pack it in. Lucky for us they don't have a single guy that is good at shooting the 3.

Funny, that's the exact recipe for a team to get red hot from 3 and go off on us! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom