Truly, the beginning of the end of college sports | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Truly, the beginning of the end of college sports

You would think with the fanbase we have, along with our history of attendance for our games, that we would benefit greatly from the NIL. This whole thing is better sweet, but I will be patient and see how this pans out. I am not opposed to kids getting paid for their likeness, even if I don't like the direction things are going in.

I knew this day would come. There was one way to fix this and that was to be proactive.

10 years ago, when the writing was on the wall, the NCAA needed to come together to figure out a way to create a system that financially rewarded players but also ensured at least SOME semblance of parity. Think more MLB than NFL. Instead, they spent the decade fighting losing battles and lost any chance of saving this thing.

You would think with the fanbase we have, along with our history of attendance for our games, that we would benefit greatly from the NIL. This whole thing is better sweet, but I will be patient and see how this pans out. I am not opposed to kids getting paid for their likeness, even if I don't like the direction things are going in.
The problem is that, for whatever reason, modern kids no longer view us as a Tier 1 "blue blood". Anyone who is old enough to have seen this team 15+ years ago does. But younger kids see a program that is regularly unranked, usually a lower tourney seed, and rarely has players going in the NBA lottery. So...end of the day…many of the highest rated players arent even really considering us from the outset. For most 5 star players its going to be about which of the 10-12 "elite" schools have the wealthiest donors who can manufacture an NIL gig for them.

Last edited:
I think it might help to realize that--with the Transfer Portal+NIL--all of the players on your roster are on One-Year Contracts.

The Reality that has finally caught up with the NCAA is that the Student-Athlete narrative was complete B.S. all along. What college sports had become was a way to raise revenue. Instead of bake sales & beg-a-thons, they realize they could make a lot more $$ in the entertainment industry. All they had to do is create an audience for their sports teams & sell it to advertisers.

What made it so alluring was that their Student-Athletes could be exploited by claiming they weren't professionals, as though their obligation to perform in the classroom somehow made it okay to exploit them. In pure economic terms, they used these kids--whose talents were the attraction to the audience--to make mega-bucks off them.

The reality now acknowledged is that they want to hire some talented kids coming out of high school to play on their teams so they can create demand for what they have to sell: an audience. At least now, the athletes are being much better compensated for their blood, sweat, & tears.

The Good News is, for as least the near-term, SU Basketball should thrive, IMO. These new developments play right into Jim Boeheim's strengths. Jim's single-greatest strength as a coach is his ability to coach whatever level of talent he has to work with into a competitive unit by the time the post-season comes around.

You only have so many months to find 5-7 players on your team that you can give enough playing time together (+ his ability to teach basketball) to where they can beat the best 5-7 players they will face at the end of the season. Jim's record shows he excels at this.

The Best players coming out of high school will be going G-league Pro. With the talent that's left, coaches will be able to take the 1-yr players they've got & coach them up. Again, advantage Boeheim.

Less highly ranked players can be persuaded to play multiple-years as they develop (Frank) cuz they're Not Ready Yet. But coaches will always place a premium on giving their best players ALL the PT they need playing together to become winners at the end of the year.

Teams like Duke won't be able to stockpile talent they way they used to, making more Gbinije's available for Boeheim to pick up.

Recent history says that all Boeheim's gotta do is continue doing what he's doing, & hope the Marketing People will be able to come up with attractive packages for those whom he's recruiting.

It is what it is. How things go down the road, I don't know. Players contracted to perform in the school's entertainment division may eventually not even be required to take classes(!) But in the near-term I think Jim Boeheim's gonna thrive...:)

I think it might help to realize that--with the Transfer Portal+NIL--all of the players on your roster are on One-Year Contracts.

The Reality that has finally caught up with the NCAA is that the Student-Athlete narrative was complete B.S. all along. What college sports had become was a way to raise revenue. Instead of bake sales & beg-a-thons, they realize they could make a lot more $$ in the entertainment industry. All they had to do is create an audience for their sports teams & sell it to advertisers.

What made it so alluring was that their Student-Athletes could be exploited by claiming they weren't professionals, as though their obligation to perform in the classroom somehow made it okay to exploit them. In pure economic terms, they used these kids--whose talents were the attraction to the audience--to make mega-bucks off them.

The reality now acknowledged is that they want to hire some talented kids coming out of high school to play on their teams so they can create demand for what they have to sell: an audience. At least now, the athletes are being much better compensated for their blood, sweat, & tears.

The Good News is, for as least the near-term, SU Basketball should thrive, IMO. These new developments play right into Jim Boeheim's strengths. Jim's single-greatest strength as a coach is his ability to coach whatever level of talent he has to work with into a competitive unit by the time the post-season comes around.

You only have so many months to find 5-7 players on your team that you can give enough playing time together (+ his ability to teach basketball) to where they can beat the best 5-7 players they will face at the end of the season. Jim's record shows he excels at this.

The Best players coming out of high school will be going G-league Pro. With the talent that's left, coaches will be able to take the 1-yr players they've got & coach them up. Again, advantage Boeheim.

Less highly ranked players can be persuaded to play multiple-years as they develop (Frank) cuz they're Not Ready Yet. But coaches will always place a premium on giving their best players ALL the PT they need playing together to become winners at the end of the year.

Teams like Duke won't be able to stockpile talent they way they used to, making more Gbinije's available for Boeheim to pick up.

Recent history says that all Boeheim's gotta do is continue doing what he's doing, & hope the Marketing People will be able to come up with attractive packages for those whom he's recruiting.

It is what it is. How things go down the road, I don't know. Players contracted to perform in the school's entertainment division may eventually not even be required to take classes(!) But in the near-term I think Jim Boeheim's gonna thrive...:)
Keep doing what he is doing?
We have been a bubble team the last 7 years.

The good coaches are going to adjust to NIL.
Teams like Duke don’t stack talent that much they recruit 7-8 guys of which the top tended to be elite NBA prospects.

The top players can go pro. These changes aren’t going to benefit us. Our talent level has gone down.
We ride our horses so we don’t bottom out.

Teams like Duke don’t stack talent that much they recruit 7-8 guys of which the top tended to be elite NBA prospects.

The top players can go pro. These changes aren’t going to benefit us. Our talent level has gone down.
We ride our horses so we don’t bottom out.
Interesting stat, since 2009, only two schools have been to more sweet 16's than us. Kentucky and Duke. We have had our issues. The coaches spent too much valuable time with the pics. It hurt us. Our ass'ts were forced to go head to head against Head coaches for recruits. The probation really hurt us. Being forced to recruit with only two coaches on the road vs 4 coaches for all of the teams were recruiting against was a killer. With that said, I would be very surprised if we weren't really good this year. No bubble. We are much bigger than last year. We have a much better shooting team than last year. I can't wait for the season.

Interesting stat, since 2009, only two schools have been to more sweet 16's than us. Kentucky and Duke. We have had our issues. The coaches spent too much valuable time with the pics. It hurt us. Our ass'ts were forced to go head to head against Head coaches for recruits. The probation really hurt us. Being forced to recruit with only two coaches on the road vs 4 coaches for all of the teams were recruiting against was a killer. With that said, I would be very surprised if we weren't really good this year. No bubble. We are much bigger than last year. We have a much better shooting team than last year. I can't wait for the season.
I would take less S16 for a NC. To win a NC you need a high seed.
Also 2009 includes the fact we were a top 4 seed 5 years in a row.

Shooting is a nice thing to have but being a complete team is more important.

I would take less S16 for a NC. To win a NC you need a high seed.
Also 2009 includes the fact we were a top 4 seed 5 years in a row.

Shooting is a nice thing to have but being a complete team is more important.
I think we will be a more complete team. We will see. I think the additions of Williams and Swider are a big deal for what we want to do. Plus, I think Edwards will be a major step up.

A few things:

1) The G-League offered this kid money. That won't go away, nor should we want it to go away. As a Syracuse fan, I want the top 20 kids, if not more, going straight to the NBA or G-League (or equivalent league).

2) There has always been classes or tiers of programs for both bball and fball. The more this becomes above board, the better. Everyone always claims that any player that's highly ranked that doesn't choose Cuse got a bag from Cal or K or Self. And now we're complaining because of the NIL? There have always been tiers of teams and have always been benefits and payments going way, way back. The NIL is not going to massively change anything that was already existing.

There have been 7 CFP playoffs. Bama and Clemson have been to six of them (and those two teams account for 5 of the 7 titles). OSU and Oklahoma have been to 4 of them.

CBB is a bit different because one or two players can really swing a season, but Duke and UK are still getting top talent. UNC and Kansas. Etc.

There are kids going to mid majors that are/were offered 50k under the table that has been documented.

In The Pony Express, the boosters that got SMU in trouble are STILL angry to this day and would do it all over again bc that is how things work. They weren't apologizing.

Let's be real: Syracuse football would need a modern day miracle to compete for a chip. And that was the case before the NIL. Cuse bball can make a run here and there because we still have JB, the brand, NBA cred and good facilities (for all items above board).

Maybe it's just me, but I just root for Cuse. Is what it is. Whether we end up in a mid major or a seat at the big boy table, I loved Cuse since I was 4 years old. Went to Cuse both ug and grad. I just don't worry about it all.

Here is the final question I'll pose: If the NCAA said "in order to maintain the true integrity of college athletics, we are going to go back and scrutinize all title teams from this day previously and if we retroactively find any recruiting or benefit violations, we will void that title, but at least we will not allow cheaters to benefit from its glory unscathed" would you be open to them digging through our 2003 team? I mean, really, really, really digging through?

I hate hypotheticals, but my point is this: you can't have a la carte morality with this stuff (not saying anyone here does specifically). It's a screwed up system that we extract enjoyment from and willingly ignore the bad parts and have the whole time. This isn't a bad thing, the NIL is a good thing. If I've accepted all the other stuff, I'll gladly accept this.

I think we will be a more complete team. We will see. I think the additions of Williams and Swider are a big deal for what we want to do. Plus, I think Edwards will be a major step up.
Who can get to the rim and score baskets.
Who can we throw the ball to in the post and score a bucket.
We have shooting and Buddy’s back down.
Hopefully Benny and Swider give us more.
We did lose a lot from last year as well.
I wouldn’t call us a complete team.
I would call us a team that score when on.

I generally agree it sorta sucks for fans and people that donate to ADs. Give this a couple of years to shake out - the results of the transfer portal and NIL. I still have doubts on actual real money most of these guys can generate and the interests of boosters to pump money into it a few years from now if returns don't change. Tweener guys who move around will still be tweener guys at their new schools (Hi QG!) Bad contracts in the pros seem to pay for past performances and aspirations unmet - not sure what the college formula will be but there will be one.
Yeah, all of these changes are likely to affect a handful of top-25 guys who can now choose between the G-League and Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. Then the second tier of prospects will end up at a few schools who can now legally pay them, just the same as the previous years. These guys will play one season, go to the draft, and take a late 1st or 2nd round pick and run.

If anything, I think the NIL and G-league will return the focus to more 4-year players.

I definitely agree with this "the sky is NOT falling" post.

I will add that JB has a superb ability to identify talent. For every highly rated player we have that doesn't amount to much, we have a handful of lower rated players that turn out to be great.

This new system means JB can get guys to waste a few years getting seasoned on somebody else's bench and then come be great for Syracuse. (Cole and Symir step right up)

We ride our horses so we don’t bottom

I definitely agree with this "the sky is NOT falling" post.

I will add that JB has a superb ability to identify talent. For every highly rated player we have that doesn't amount to much, we have a handful of lower rated players that turn out to be great.

This new system means JB can get guys to waste a few years getting seasoned on somebody else's bench and then come be great for Syracuse. (Cole and Symir step right up)
Exactly.

I didn't mention recruiting as a major Boeheim coaching strength, because it hasn't been. He's just never been the "smarmy salesman" type of coach to compete with the Caliparis of the coaching fraternity, but if a player is interested in playing and understanding basketball, Jim can connect with them.

He's had good success with Second-Tier talent, which highlights his actual coaching strength: his ability to teach a group of players how to play well enough to compete with The Best at the end of the season. When he gets enough special players to work with, the results can be exciting for every Syracuse fan.

This team is feeling pretty special to me already. I just watched the Benny interview where he repeatedly said he's 6'9" now. He's definitely got point guard skills and I expect he's gonna be one of our strongest rebounders out of the small forward spot, like Melo was.

Our 6'9" forward trio may not have elite athleticism, but they may be quick enough to make this year's zone seriously formidable with Jesse/Frank/Healthy Sidibe at center. And then there's "our best offensive team in a while" projection on top of that...

Exactly.

I didn't mention recruiting as a major Boeheim coaching strength, because it hasn't been. He's just never been the "smarmy salesman" type of coach to compete with the Caliparis of the coaching fraternity, but if a player is interested in playing and understanding basketball, Jim can connect with them.

He's had good success with Second-Tier talent, which highlights his actual coaching strength: his ability to teach a group of players how to play well enough to compete with The Best at the end of the season. When he gets enough special players to work with, the results can be exciting for every Syracuse fan.

This team is feeling pretty special to me already. I just watched the Benny interview where he repeatedly said he's 6'9" now. He's definitely got point guard skills and I expect he's gonna be one of our strongest rebounders out of the small forward spot, like Melo was.

Our 6'9" forward trio may not have elite athleticism, but they may be quick enough to make this year's zone seriously formidable with Jesse/Frank/Healthy Sidibe at center. And then there's "our best offensive team in a while" projection on top of that...
We won our NC when we had that superstar.
Talent is how you win.

JB is a good coach. If he had K’s talent I have said he would do more with it.
He needs to get talent so his system can do its thing.

Who can get to the rim and score baskets.
Who can we throw the ball to in the post and score a bucket.
We have shooting and Buddy’s back down.
Hopefully Benny and Swider give us more.
We did lose a lot from last year as well.
I wouldn’t call us a complete team.
I would call us a team that score when on.
Benny for starters. And players that are already here. We will score pts. And we will defend.

Benny for starters. And players that are already here. We will score pts. And we will defend.
I hope you are right. I need to see it though.

I’ll offer you bet again. Do you think we will be a 6 seed or better?
200 dollars.
I will even consider 7 seed a push.

I hope you are right. I need to see it though.

I’ll offer you bet again. Do you think we will be a 6 seed or better?
200 dollars.
I will even consider 7 seed a push.
I think we will be better than a 6. But I am not betting against the perfect. And the schedule makes me pause. plus, I may need that money if Lindell gets his indictment against all of us.

Between this, lack of depth and something as basic as bringing the ball up the court I don’t think people understand how much this team lacks.
You have no idea of what you're talking about.

You don't know what Cole, Benny, Jimmy bring to the team yet, so all that conviction you're expressing is worth...
Zero GIF by memecandy

You have no idea of what you're talking about.

You don't know what Cole, Benny, Jimmy bring to the team yet, so all that conviction you're expressing is worth...
Zero GIF by memecandy
And if you can’t see it then I’m pretty sure I left more basketball knowledge in the toilet this morning than you have.

And if you can’t see it then I’m pretty sure I left more basketball knowledge in the toilet this morning than you have.
You seem to make a lot of claims about your basketball knowledge.

I assume it's generated a lot of income for you over the years?

You seem to make a lot of claims about your basketball knowledge.

I assume it's generated a lot of income for you over the years?
In sports betting and fanduel, absolutely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom