Tuesday's Departure Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday's Departure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - this is what I don't understand.

Our interior defense and offense was severely lacking.

Freeman helps, but a 6-9 forward that isn't a bruiser of any sort, doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies in terms of being a huge help in the post.

They must really like McLeod. I can't say I'm supportive of this. At all.
It’s early, not worried at all.

To me, it looked like Bell was consistently targeted by ACC teams. Teams would isolate his man and take him off the dribble. That seemed to be more of an issue, IMO, than getting pushed around by bigger players. Taylor was that target.

For Bell "not to have any defensive problems next season" he is going to have to get WAY better at moving his feet and staying in front of people. Not saying he can't.
He was targeted all the time. Did it get better some? Yeah, I’ll agree with that. But that’s a comparison to himself not to the level we need.

By the way, Bell’s help D and chase down d at the rim at times was some of the best I’ve seen. Which shows from a general timing and athleticism POV, that isn’t the limitation (maybe strength, which is matchup dependent).

So… I think I’m missing something. Why can’t we have a stud C come? Let me break down what I’m thinking.

PF: Brown (20 mins) / Freeman (20 mins)
SF: Bell (25 mins) / Freeman (15 mins)
C: Portal (30 mins) / Brown (10 mins)

Seems like a rotation that would be fair and practical to me, but what do I know I guess.
This is close to what I’m thinking. But I really don’t think a freshman forward, even a Micky D’s All American, needs to play or will play 35 mpg, unless his name is Carmelo Anthony. I don’t even think Melo averaged that. Even 25-30 is a lot for a guy adjusting to college basketball. That’s the upper range of the minutes he should be getting. We need depth. We need a starting quality center.

Last edited:
OK gang, we are discussing SU player departures - not politics, not word definitions, not anything else.

Thanks.
Get Em Episode 7 GIF by UFC

What I find funny is how posters in the know say all these guys think they are going to the NBA, yet according to Brian Higgins, any body we recruit in the portal will cause incumbent players to transfer out due to competition threats to their minutes. If you think your a pro, why you running from competing with another college player? Such a joke.

Then our team is fatally flawed from the jump and isn't giving us the best chance to win.

Brown needs to start as a forward.

Freeman, presumably, will be too good not to start.

If it's Bell & Brown with Freeman the 6th man off the bench, I'm fine with that too. I just don't get how that works, when Bell is so extremely one dimensional.

Bell becomes this year's Justin Taylor. He starts, and gets 4 to 8 minutes to get it going. If he is lax on defense, he comes out and Freeman is in.

Anyone have any insight into why Mintz isn't in the portal?

He's probably hoping we give him a big bag.
I'd honestly prefer to cut ties.
He's not going to be any better next year.
In fact, he'll probably be worse, because the word is out on him.

What I find funny is how posters in the know say all these guys think they are going to the NBA, yet according to Brian Higgins, any body we recruit in the portal will cause incumbent players to transfer out due to competition threats to their minutes. If you think your a pro, why you running from competing with another college player? Such a joke.
I think things have changed, I think the guys who thought they were pros are transitioning into realizing they may not be the pros they thought they were.

JJ makes for a better 6th man than starter unless he becomes a much better defender. A scoring guard off the bench is 6th man material plus his pace coming in after the first 5-7 minutes can be a difference maker in too. I realize that means nothing in terms of it wouldn’t happen …

That would seem to be Choppa's role. You don't seem him starting over JJ, do you?

Mintz would be foolish to test the NBA waters again unless he is set on going G league. He can’t shoot, doesn’t get his teammates going and is lazy on defense. In time he may develop into a great player. He can draw fouls with the best of them. But absolutely nothing in his game currently transitions to the NBA.

Not sure if it’s true. But someone said you can only declare for the draft 2 times. Or maybe it was withdraw 2 times. Hypothetically he enters this year drops out. Then the following year he enters and gets injured. At that point he would have to stay in the draft. IMO it’s always better to have that last chance to exit the draft if something really bad happens. You really never know. He gives that ability away if he tests the waters again this year when he is clearly not ready. I would think it is pretty obvious to most coaches what he needs to work on. Now he just has to buy in.

This was his year. This was his team. He failed his audition. He's never going to play in the NBA. He lacks the toughness and character.

I think things have changed, I think the guys who thought they were pros are transitioning into realizing they may not be the pros they thought they were.
Judah has probably maxed out his talents, he is basically a scorer.
He will never be a point guard, and is too small to play the shooting guard in the NBA without an outside shot.

This is Judah Mintz we’re talking about. He’s going to want to maximize his announcement, so he’s the big story of the day. That probably means waiting until after Carey and Hima make their announcements. I wouldn’t be surprised if he waits until next Tuesday, so that pesky little tournament doesn’t steal his thunder. Gotta build that brand.

As a bonus, he gets to string along the fan base that turned on him.

Last edited:
I mean these are people with 4 year careers. Only 60 guys get drafted by the NBA and 20+ are foreign or other non NCAA picks. 2nd rounders don't stick. Maybe 20 college players enter the NBA annually realistically. They are stupid to not squeeze every penny of NIL they can get.

Most of us have 50 year careers but have to change jobs regularly to get raises.

A Judah Mintz type whos probably as good as a FR as he is a SR and just misses the NBA is leaving money on the table if he doesn't play for 3 teams in his 4 year career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom