Turkey Trots to Water | Syracusefan.com

Turkey Trots to Water

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
Where is, rpt, where is Cuse offense, the world wonders.

Hoyas played pretty solid defense. That got into our heads a bit and it snowballed causing us to miss even the easy shots. We aren't much good shooting this year period.

The CUSE offense will be fine in the NCAA's, & the defense is still one of the best in America.

You can't use the past few games as a gauge for the success of this team going forward.

Most teams in the NCAA will employ a man defense, which Syracuse will shred very quickly. When they try the zone, they will not be able to match the ability of the Big East opponents to contain Syracuse, & they will lose there too.

Unless Syracuse meets Georgetown in the NCAA's, they have a decent shot at a Final Four, & I dare say they will do much better against G'town in the Tourney than in conference, because the refs will not allow the amount of fouling that G'town employs in the Big East.

You are dilusional. I mean that in a good way though ;).

Seriously, this team is not very good. We will be very lucky to win more than 1 game the rest of the way.

This team is no worse than the 2010 Duke squad that won it all. You are trying to judge this team based on the last 5 or 6 games in conference, & you can't logically do that.

You are making too many unknown assumptions:

1. The team will not improve their psychological mindset
2. They will be facing all zone defenses from here on out
3. They will face top 10 teams exclusively in the NCAA's
4. They have NO CHANCE at beating a higher seed
5. Officiating will reward violent & abusive teams in the Big Dance
6. Trevor Cooney will not find his rhythm in tourney time
7. Shooting will not improve
8. MCW will not find his balanced attack on offense
9. Christmas will not improve at all
10. JB only cares about starting a booger farm after his coaching days
11. Triche will not learn how to keep his balance on strange shots
12. Grant will not emerge as the next "Never Nervous Pervis" in the Tourney
13. GMAC will not be able to fool the officials when he suits up in round 3
14. CJ Fair will never posterize his opponent without an offensive foul call
15. Coleman will not be more effective than a Jack Kevorkian client
16. MCW will suffer more steals against him than a Lord & Taylor store
17. Does Howard Triche have any eligibility remaining?
18. Pearl Washington will not invoke the spirit of Conrad Mcrae to indwell the body of Baye Keita, who scores a triple double in the Elite 8 to send Duke home
19. The team will not cut the nets down after every game to practice for the Championship snip
20. Does Bill Brasky have any eligibility remaining?

Ah well, no one got it...

Google the thread title if you care.

The CUSE offense will be fine in the NCAA's, & the defense is still one of the best in America.

You can't use the past few games as a gauge for the success of this team going forward.

Most teams in the NCAA will employ a man defense, which Syracuse will shred very quickly. When they try the zone, they will not be able to match the ability of the Big East opponents to contain Syracuse, & they will lose there too.

Unless Syracuse meets Georgetown in the NCAA's, they have a decent shot at a Final Four, & I dare say they will do much better against G'town in the Tourney than in conference, because the refs will not allow the amount of fouling that G'town employs in the Big East.

No offense intended and I know there's lots of accusations that various posters are "delusional" But after watching the past five games, I think "delusional" might just accurately describe your post.

"You can't use the past few games as a gauge for the success of this team going forward."

Oh, yes, you can!

Oh yes you can!

Oh yes, you can!

I wish you were right. And is it were 0ne or two games where we had stunk, I might even agree (because I WANT to believe).

If you are right --- or even close to right --- I will openly declare that you are a genius with powers to see into the future beyond mere mortals and will never doubt you again. But right now I think you are either drunk or crazy.

I have been a fan of college basketball for more than 30 years, & I have seen teams come off late season slumps to do well in tournaments.

You CANNOT use a few games to gauge success, no matter how many times you say, "Oh, yes you can!" BTW, it is rude to call someone delusional for making an educated analysis.

It's possible this team will continue to slump & get bounced early, but it is also possible they can wake up & play some ball.

You can't judge the worth of a team in the vacuum of the Big East.

I have seen Syracuse get handled by Georgetown in the BET, & then proceed to play in a National Championship game they should have won.

Now, you can try to make an educated guess as to the future of this team, but what I am seeing is a complete meltdown & absence of reason.

I am watching a team that has been demoralized by horrible officiating against teams that rely on brutality to win big games. It is natural to feel like there is nothing you can do to get over the top when the refs allow the other team to beat you across the face & steal the ball from you.

How many times did the camera show one of the Syracuse players grimacing in facial pain & feeling the latest injury on their lips, cheek, & nose, just after the mugging, with NO CALL...

These last 5 games have been dominated by the barbarism of such nasty programs like Pitt, 'Quette, & G'town.

I can guarantee you this: Syracuse WILL shoot better against the NCAA Tourney teams, unless it happens to be those thugs...

I have been a fan of college basketball for more than 30 years, & I have seen teams come off late season slumps to do well in tournaments.

You CANNOT use a few games to gauge success, no matter how many times you say, "Oh, yes you can!" BTW, it is rude to call someone delusional for making an educated analysis.

It's possible this team will continue to slump & get bounced early, but it is also possible they can wake up & play some ball.

You can't judge the worth of a team in the vacuum of the Big East.

I have seen Syracuse get handled by Georgetown in the BET, & then proceed to play in a National Championship game they should have won.

Now, you can try to make an educated guess as to the future of this team, but what I am seeing is a complete meltdown & absence of reason.

I am watching a team that has been demoralized by horrible officiating against teams that rely on brutality to win big games. It is natural to feel like there is nothing you can do to get over the top when the refs allow the other team to beat you across the face & steal the ball from you.

How many times did the camera show one of the Syracuse players grimacing in facial pain & feeling the latest injury on their lips, cheek, & nose, just after the mugging, with NO CALL...

These last 5 games have been dominated by the barbarism of such nasty programs like Pitt, 'Quette, & G'town.

I can guarantee you this: Syracuse WILL shoot better against the NCAA Tourney teams, unless it happens to be those thugs...

If you are right, you are a true visionary.

But the last five games aren't some sort of abberation. It's too big a sample.

The good news is that we are going to find out if you are right or not. My forecast is that we win one game in the BET and one game in the NCAAs. The team just can't shoot against quality competition.

Really? Most teams we face will use man? No one we face will employ a zone defense? So you're basically assuming that any coach we face will just refuse to watch game film or look at scouting reports and see that we are completely ineffective against a zone, and decide that the proven way to beat us just isn't their style? We have zero zone offense. Don't try to sell me the "they won't be able to play it like Big East teams" crap either.

Get real.

I hope we make a run. I think we COULD maybe make a run to the Sweet 16, MAYBE the Elite 8 if everything falls into place. But we need to dictate the tempo, and not have it dictated to us. And we absolutely never do that. Ever.

We just played a game where we scored 39 points and had 4 assists as a team. Those two numbers blow my mind.
Cooney not developing into the long range threat that we all hoped (expected) him to be has really hurt this team and we have zero low post offense outside of the occasional Fair post-up.
I'm trying to hold on to a sliver of hope that things will be different in the tournament but right now there isn't much to be optimistic about.

We just played a game where we scored 39 points and had 4 assists as a team. Those two numbers blow my mind.
Cooney not developing into the long range threat that we all hoped (expected) him to be has really hurt this team and we have zero low post offense outside of the occasional Fair post-up.
I'm trying to hold on to a sliver of hope that things will be different in the tournament but right now there isn't much to be optimistic about.

Here's your first "Like" Woodley.

You won't fit in here. Too logical.

his is more akin to a conversation at a card table in an insane asylum.

Really? Most teams we face will use man? No one we face will employ a zone defense? So you're basically assuming that any coach we face will just refuse to watch game film or look at scouting reports and see that we are completely ineffective against a zone, and decide that the proven way to beat us just isn't their style? We have zero zone offense. Don't try to sell me the "they won't be able to play it like Big East teams" crap either.

Get real.

I hope we make a run. I think we COULD maybe make a run to the Sweet 16, MAYBE the Elite 8 if everything falls into place. But we need to dictate the tempo, and not have it dictated to us. And we absolutely never do that. Ever.

Don't believe me, at the risk of your own embarrassment.

YES, the other teams will not be able to play a defense against Syracuse like the THUGS in the Big East. The rules are enforced generally much better in the tourney than on a Big East court.

While this team is not great against the zone, they are sufficient when they don't get mugged on the way to the basket with no calls against the goons who just raped them.

I have history on my side, what do you have?

I have seen G'town beat the physical cap out of Syracuse in the '87 BET, but who was in the National Championship that season? It certainly wasn't Georgetown...

Georgetown was beaten by the team we CRUSHED the week after that...

This team still has time to screw their heads on straight. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but don't bury them yet...

Don't believe me, at the risk of your own embarrassment.

YES, the other teams will not be able to play a defense against Syracuse like the THUGS in the Big East. The rules are enforced generally much better in the tourney than on a Big East court.

While this team is not great against the zone, they are sufficient when they don't get mugged on the way to the basket with no calls against the goons who just raped them.

I have history on my side, what do you have?

I have seen G'town beat the physical cap out of Syracuse in the '87 BET, but who was in the National Championship that season? It certainly wasn't Georgetown...

Georgetown was beaten by the team we CRUSHED the week after that...

This team still has time to screw their heads on straight. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but don't bury them yet...
Astonishingly, I'm not embarrassed. We have tremendous difficulty playing against a zone. Any zone.

Bottom line. And your "history on my side" is from 26 years ago. I hate to break it to you but there are different players on this team.

I'm ignoring all mantonio posts after I read this yesterday- "Syracuse is not a bad shooting team".

If you are right, you are a true visionary.

But the last five games aren't some sort of abberation. It's too big a sample.

The good news is that we are going to find out if you are right or not. My forecast is that we win one game in the BET and one game in the NCAAs. The team just can't shoot against quality competition.

I am not trying to be Nostradamus here, I just think the fans are like OCD bipolar manics who knee jerk every event like clockwork.

If they do not succeed in cutting down the nets this season, it won't be because they were not capable of it. Based on the current college basketball landscape, this team has the talent to compete for a title, & we should be excited about this, not depressed.

JB had other teams with a 2nd round ceiling. This team is not one of those. Their biggest obstacle is their own minds right now.

Posts like this make me pine for the board's good old days.

I am not trying to be Nostradamus here, I just think the fans are like OCD bipolar manics who knee jerk every event like clockwork.

If they do not succeed in cutting down the nets this season, it won't be because they were not capable of it. Based on the current college basketball landscape, this team has the talent to compete for a title, & we should be excited about this, not depressed.

JB had other teams with a 2nd round ceiling. This team is not one of those. Their biggest obstacle is their own minds right now.

Of course fans over react to loses and big wins.

But I don't think I am one of those. One bad game? Not a problem. Two bad games? I'm starting to be concerned.

This stretch has me thinking this isn't a good team. It just doesn't work. It depended on a few things and when these things didn't work, there wasn't any Plan C or Plan D.

Hey, I hope you are right. And if you are, you are a real genius to see value in something where few others can. I's a great skill to have.

In your zeal to counter balance those who have fallen into depression, could you be over-correcting towards the positive side?

I love the whole "but it's only 5 or 6 games!" crap too. You do realize that's 1/6th of the season, right? That's not a small sample size. It's a full on trend.

This team is no worse than the 2010 Duke squad that won it all. You are trying to judge this team based on the last 5 or 6 games in conference, & you can't logically do that.

You are making too many unknown assumptions:

1. The team will not improve their psychological mindset
2. They will be facing all zone defenses from here on out
3. They will face top 10 teams exclusively in the NCAA's
4. They have NO CHANCE at beating a higher seed
5. Officiating will reward violent & abusive teams in the Big Dance
6. Trevor Cooney will not find his rhythm in tourney time
7. Shooting will not improve
8. MCW will not find his balanced attack on offense
9. Christmas will not improve at all
10. JB only cares about starting a booger farm after his coaching days
11. Triche will not learn how to keep his balance on strange shots
12. Grant will not emerge as the next "Never Nervous Pervis" in the Tourney
13. GMAC will not be able to fool the officials when he suits up in round 3
14. CJ Fair will never posterize his opponent without an offensive foul call
15. Coleman will not be more effective than a Jack Kevorkian client
16. MCW will suffer more steals against him than a Lord & Taylor store
17. Does Howard Triche have any eligibility remaining?
18. Pearl Washington will not invoke the spirit of Conrad Mcrae to indwell the body of Baye Keita, who scores a triple double in the Elite 8 to send Duke home
19. The team will not cut the nets down after every game to practice for the Championship snip
20. Does Bill Brasky have any eligibility remaining?

Sadly, if only 3 or 4 of those assumptions pan out to be true... we're screwed.

Ohio State.

I love the whole "but it's only 5 or 6 games!" crap too. You do realize that's 1/6th of the season, right? That's not a small sample size. It's a full on trend.

It reminds me of the great Monty Python skit where King Arthur meets The Black Knight at a bridge and chops him to pieces ... but the Black Knight wants to keep fighting.

I'm ignoring all mantonio posts after I read this yesterday- "Syracuse is not a bad shooting team".

I checked out on the "2013 SU is no worse than the 2010 NCAA title winning Dukies"

So yeah, back to the original sarcasm of this thread, I just couldn't help but think of Boeheim in the Bull Hallsey role and see something like this play out in the post game press conference if he was asked about the historic ineptitude of his offense. I love Hopkins in Admiral Carney role also:

The message (and its trailing padding) became famous, and created some ill feeling, since it appeared to be a harsh criticism by Nimitz of Halsey's decision to pursue the decoy carriers and leave the landings uncovered. "I was stunned as if I had been struck in the face", Halsey later recalled. "The paper rattled in my hands, I snatched off my cap, threw it on the deck, and shouted something I am ashamed to remember", letting out an anguished sob. RADM Carney, Halsey's Chief of Staff (who had argued strongly in favor of pursuing the carriers), witnessed Halsey's emotional outburst and reportedly grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him, shouting "Stop it! What the hell's the matter with you? Pull yourself together!"

I'm thinking we should've gone on a a streak like his in 2012. May have improved our chances for winning a title

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom