Tyler Ennis is one of the better Pgs... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis is one of the better Pgs...

In terms of who I'd rather have, I have no idea. It's hard to imagine what other PGs would be like on this team and obviously our team is playing incredibly well so far.

But in terms of "who is better?" for this year, I'd say Smart, Shabazz, Carson, and maybe Pangos and Appling. But again, that's different from saying I wish we had them instead of Ennis. I'm not sure there's anyone I would rather have on this team, especially going forwards, because I think we'll get another year or two of Ennis.
You are nuts on all aspects of this. The kicker was "I think we will get another year or two from ennis". Smart is the only one on that list and I wouldn't take him over ennis on this syracuse squad, ennis is perfect for this team .

Last edited:
I don't think anybody tops Sherm, but he might also have been the greatest college pg ever.

Ennis looks like he could be #2 though. I didn't expect that to be on the table this soon, if ever.

Oy. Wouldn't expect this coming from a poster of your caliber.

It's not on the table.

The kid's playing really well. Especially well considering the fact that he's a freshman.

His court vision and control are excellent.

That said, this hyperbole is not only tired but not really timely. Ennis played pretty well today. But it's not that special to score 20 points on 14 shots with 2 assists.

Come on, guys. He was good. He'll get better. The superlatives are too much.

You are nuts on all aspects of this. The kicker was "I think we will get another year or two from ennis". Smart is the only one on that list and I wouldn't even take him on the syracuse squad, ennis is perfect for this team .

I already stated that I think Ennis is perfect for this team lol. And we'll see about him and the draft. I can't imagine a GM taking him in the lottery this year unless he improves a ton over the course of the rest of the year. I can't imagine he'll make the leap necessary to be a lottery pick this year, in which case I would be right about that. And we can agree to disagree in regards to the other guys on that list. I'm sure fans of those teams are perfectly happy with their PGs just like we are with ours.

It's not on the table.

The kid's playing really well. Especially well considering the fact that he's a freshman.

That said, this hyperbole is not only tired but not really timely. Ennis played pretty well today. But it's not that special to score 20 points on 14 shots with 2 assists.

All I said is he could be #2. You don't think that's on the table?

Ennis is the best pure pg we've had in a long time. The way he plays the position makes me believe he could eventually be the best pg ever to play here, but he's not there yet. Consistency my friends, cannot be shown over 12 games.

It's not on the table.

Why are they too much? It is pretty asinine to be incapable of stepping back, consider the numbers, and not recognize that what we're witnessing equates to greatness.

I'm all for healthy skepticism / wait-and-see approach, but the pooh-pooh'ing is starting to far outweigh the superlatives being heaped his way.

Ennis, in short, is a difference maker. He is the best lead guard in college basketball. If some want to see more before jumping on that train--fine--but let's not pretend that the kid isn't performing at an amazing level. Not just good--amazing.

Last edited:
He's the best freshman pg EVER at Syracuse and I love pearl...but it's not close. Pearls freshman year was much more up and down. Go look at the stats.

He's also the best frosh in the country. Parker is great, but Ennis has a lot more on his plate.

I've never seen a freshman control a game like him. It's eerie.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Ennis is starting to garner warranted recognition on the national level for what he's delivering. The kid is not only a stud, but perhaps a once-a-generation caliber exceptional lead guard.

In terms of who I'd rather have, I have no idea. It's hard to imagine what other PGs would be like on this team and obviously our team is playing incredibly well so far.

But in terms of "who is better?" for this year, I'd say Smart, Shabazz, Carson, and maybe Pangos and Appling. But again, that's different from saying I wish we had them instead of Ennis. I'm not sure there's anyone I would rather have on this team, especially going forwards, because I think we'll get another year or two of Ennis.

No offense, but you must be out of your mind. I wouldn't trade Ennis for any of those players--including the much ballyhooed but significantly overrated Smart.

Pangos? Appling? Those comparisons will seem absurd in a month.

No offense, but you must be out of your mind. I wouldn't trade Ennis for any of those players--including the much ballyhooed but significantly overrated Smart.

Pangos? Appling? Those comparisons will seem absurd in a month.

I didn't say that I would trade Ennis for any of them either. I said I'm not sure I would trade him for any other PG in the nation. But I do think that those guys are better players right now. That has nothing to do with whether or not Ennis will surpass them by the end of the year.

Why are they too much? It is pretty asinine to be incapable of stepping back, consider the numbers, and not recognize that what we're witnessing equates to greatness.

I'm all for healthy skepticism / wait-and-see approach, but the pooh-pooh'ing is starting to far outweigh the superlatives being heaped his way.

Ennis, in short, is a difference maker. He is the best lead guard in college basketball. If some want to see more before jumping on that train--fine--but let's not pretend that the kid isn't performing at an amazing level. Not just good--amazing.

Granted that statistics don't tell the whole story, but statistically, if what Ennis is doing is amazing, then we've been blessed as college basketball fans to have a lot of amazing players to watch this year.

Yes I agree that that Ennis has looked exceptional, however for me its impossible not look at Ennis and Cooney together as the best pure point and pure shooter combo in the country. I would not trade this PAIR for any other in the country.

I don't know about that but I believe this game is going to launch Ennis into that group with Parker Randle and Wiggins.

Even before this game I believe Goodman had an article that already had him as #3 Freshman behind Parker and Randle. He is there already.

I already stated that I think Ennis is perfect for this team lol. And we'll see about him and the draft. I can't imagine a GM taking him in the lottery this year unless he improves a ton over the course of the rest of the year. I can't imagine he'll make the leap necessary to be a lottery pick this year, in which case I would be right about that. And we can agree to disagree in regards to the other guys on that list. I'm sure fans of those teams are perfectly happy with their PGs just like we are with ours.
"Improves a ton", what exactly does he need to improve on? You make it sound like he has glaring weakness that he must work on I don't think so.

All I said is he could be #2. You don't think that's on the table?

Not yet, I don't think. It'd be more fair to assess that after a full season. Certainly premature before we get into conference play, in my opinion.

Love the enthusiasm, love Ennis's play, I just feel that a small minority of posters are marginalizing the careers of some very good players by making these comparisons. And they're setting up Ennis to get blasted when he hits a freshman wall, has a couple of poor games, or just fails to be one of the five best players in school history.

Still don't understand why we shOuld have started mcw in 2012.

Because a lot of players have had an amazing seven- or twelve-game stretch of play.

No one's pretending he's not playing at a very high level. He's playing excellent basketball. 13 turnovers in 12 games is fantastic. There's an enormous gulf between that and a great basketball season; there's a much wider distance between that and the best player in school history.

"Improves a ton", what exactly does he need to improve on? You make it sound like he has glaring weakness that he must work on I don't think so.

To be a lottery pick in the NBA.? He needs to either get more athletic, become an elite shooter off the dribble, or become an elite passer (not just taking incredible care of the ball but being one of the best passers in the country). He needs to have something that will definitely carry over to the NBA that can outweigh the athleticism/defensive/finishing concerns. I think he has way too many questions in terms of being an NBA prospect and he's not the high potential kind of guy that teams are usually willing to take a risk on.

To be a lottery pick in the NBA.? He needs to either get more athletic, become an elite shooter off the dribble, or become an elite passer (not just taking incredible care of the ball but being one of the best passers in the country). He needs to have something that will definitely carry over to the NBA that can outweigh the athleticism/defensive/finishing concerns. I think he has way too many questions in terms of being an NBA prospect and he's not the high potential kind of guy that teams are usually willing to take a risk on.

The biggest question I have right now about how he projects to the NBA is what I see as his reluctance to press the advantage in transition and the mediocre results when he does press in transition. I think he missed another layup yesterday in a fast break situation and pulled out on another situation where in past years we would had converted a transition opportunity immediately. I would think that that would be a huge weakness/question mark for a potential NBA point guard.

I am still not sure why he isn't better at pressing the advantage in transition? It may be the same quality that makes him so sure handed with the ball....he just tends to be conservative.

But IMO he needs to show improvement in this element of the game before he really has a shot at being a lottery pick. But I'm no scout, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so maybe I'm wrong. And, wait for it......it's only game 12 of his freshman year so who knows what we might see over the next 25 or so games.

Granted that statistics don't tell the whole story, but statistically, if what Ennis is doing is amazing, then we've been blessed as college basketball fans to have a lot of amazing players to watch this year.

What's his assist to turnover ratio again? Consider that statistic, and then let it sink in.

By no means am I suggesting he's perfect, or that there aren't areas where he could improve his game [including experientially--and there's only one way to get that, i.e., actually playing games against tough opponents]. He's got a freshman body--not a bad frame, but room for improvement. He could stand to improve his three point shooting. And he could do a slightly better job in transition with this team [although there is something to be said about avoiding forcing].

Even with those minor quibbles, he has been nothing short of amazing. That he is playing his best against the top teams we're playing should quell any anxiety about whether he can sustain this high level of play against conference opposition.

Best point guard in college basketball, hands down. And not just from a scoring / stats standpoint. Whatever "it" is in terms of the qualities that differentiate good point guards from elite ones, Ennis has "it."

Last edited:
What's his assist to turnover ratio again? Consider that statistic, and then let it sink in.

That's one statistic though. His assist numbers themselves aren't anything special and his scoring numbers and rebounding numbers are nothing special. It's great for a freshman, but there are plenty of guys putting up better numbers outside of the assist:turnover ratio.

Tyler's season stats that matter.

61 assists
13 turnovers
32 steals

Let those sink in minute. It's 1 turnover per game, and averages 32 minutes per game. Even more against better competition.

Tyler's season stats that matter.

61 assists
13 turnovers
32 steals

Let those sink in minute. It's 1 turnover per game, and averages 32 minutes per game. Even more against better competition.

Right lo0k at the possessions gained per game just with the TO's verses Steals per game. Your number one ball handler who has it more than anyone is getting you a plus in possessions because he steals the ball about 2.5 times more than he turns it over. That's crazy good as is his assist to turnover ratio of better than 4.5 to 1

Not yet, I don't think. It'd be more fair to assess that after a full season. Certainly premature before we get into conference play, in my opinion.

Love the enthusiasm, love Ennis's play, I just feel that a small minority of posters are marginalizing the careers of some very good players by making these comparisons. And they're setting up Ennis to get blasted when he hits a freshman wall, has a couple of poor games, or just fails to be one of the five best players in school history.
Ah, just to clarify, I wasn't saying right now he is 2nd, but that he could be. That looks like the trajectory though.

I'm not sure what his NBA stock has to do with the way he is playing for us right now. Quinn Buckner wasn't much of a pro but he was a huge factor for IU and their championship run. Florida didn't have a lottery pick at point guard when they went back to back. Tyler Ennis is playing better than anyone could ever imagine and at this point I could care less about his NBA stock. He's a perfect fit for us and that's all that matters.