Tyler Ennis shipped to the D-League | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis shipped to the D-League

Status
Not open for further replies.

2-3zone

2nd String
I don't know about you guys but i didn't see this coming

Tyler Ennis will be fine and will succeed in the D-league, and wherever he ends up playing basketball down the road, be it the NBA or Europe. Oh, and he'll be paid.

3 above average, quality PG's ahead of him on depth chart. This isn't a surprising move and says much more about those in front of him, than his talent.

Not surprised. Saw this coming when they re-signed bledsoe and signed thomas. Better off if he was traded. He still has his contract. That's all that matters.

No surprise. No room for him this year. The best place for him right now. Same thing happened to someone like Kendall Marshall.

the Suns are doing this to preserve an asset, not to shed one

Yeah - this is a good thing. Get some PT and the logjam ahead of him will work itself out.

Full_Rebar said:
They also sent down TJ Warren. I guess he should have stayed in school as well...

Warren has been injured.

One of the knocks on Ennis is that he's not physically ready and doesn't have a 3-point shot.

I heard last year before the draft there were 15 better pg's just in the D league ,and that opinion was from a head d league coach. I'm not saying I agree it's a crapshoot.

Last edited:
cuseincincy said:
Not to be picky but that's 2 knocks.

Good catch.

School of hard knocks.

Too bad those other 15 pgs that are better don't have guaranteed contracts, I guess.
plus which, his paychecks will stretch much, much longer in Bakersfield

I'm still waiting for someone to give me one NBA level skill that Ennis has right now. The Suns claim they will use Bakersfield for short stints for their players. But with all the guys ahead of Ennis it will take multiple injuries for him to make it back to Phoenix. This may be the last we hear from him. Instead of being one of the top players on a top 10 team in the NCAA playing on national TV multiple times per week. Imagine him doing that for a couple more years and then leaving for the NBA. He'd probably go no higher than he did but in addition to his rookie contract he'd be looking at possible endorsement deals which could dwarf anything he ever makes from an NBA contract. Instead he is a nobody about to be unheard from for the next couple of years. But he'll be getting paid.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me one NBA level skill that Ennis has right now. The Suns claim they will use Bakersfield for short stints for their players. But with all the guys ahead of Ennis it will take multiple injuries for him to make it back to Phoenix. This may be the last we hear from him. Instead of being one of the top players on a top 10 team in the NCAA playing on national TV multiple times per week. Imagine him doing that for a couple more years and then leaving for the NBA. He'd probably go no higher than he did but in addition to his rookie contract he'd be looking at possible endorsement deals which could dwarf anything he ever makes from an NBA contract. Instead he is a nobody about to be unheard from for the next couple of years. But he'll be getting paid.

Despite what people think, he has NBA level athleticism, as well as the ability to run an offense and distribute the ball. Phoenix picked him because of the value, not their need. If he stayed, he would have been older, which is currently viewed as a big negative when it comes to the NBA draft, and I would go as far as saying that if he came back to Syracuse he would not have been a 1st round pick.

As for endorsements, well it appears as though he didn't do too badly

Just hours before the new NBA season tips off, the Jordan Brand has announced new partnerships with three rookies. The latest additions to Team Jordan are Phoenix Suns point guard Tyler Ennis, Charlotte Hornets power forward Noah Vonleh and Boston Celtics shooting guard James Young.

That seems a tad cynical. Clearly, he faces an uphill battle for PT as a rookie on Phoenix, with so many experienced point guards ahead of him. But given that, it actually makes a lot of sense for him to be sent down to the minors. Contrary to popular belief, it is difficult for players to improve during the season, because practice time drops off precipitously due to travel / games. And he's not going to gain lead guard experieince sittting on the bench. This was ineveitable, and given Phoenix's abundant backcourt depth, I assume that it was 100% planned.

I agree 100% with you about him having made the trade off of gaining the aforementioned experience playing for a top 10 team here, but in my opinion he has much more of a shot to carve out a career at the NBA level than you give him credit for.

He's in the D League. Let's hope he makes it back and has a solid NBA career. But this was an easy call.

It's a hard road to come back once you've gone down to the NBDL. It's certainly possible, but the odds aren't great. I was surprised by how high he was drafted, so I'm not surprised by this move. That said, the Phoenix backcourt is really deep and he might have received a better shot at playing time if he were drafted elsewhere. Good luck to Tyler and I hope he keeps working hard to make it back.

Despite what people think, he has NBA level athleticism, as well as the ability to run an offense and distribute the ball. Phoenix picked him because of the value, not their need. If he stayed, he would have been older, which is currently viewed as a big negative when it comes to the NBA draft, and I would go as far as saying that if he came back to Syracuse he would not have been a 1st round pick.

As for endorsements, well it appears as though he didn't do too badly

Athleticism is one of his least valuable traits.

For a PG, he has very questionable athleticism at the NBA level.

SUFan44 said:
Athleticism is one of this least valuable traits. For a PG, he has very questionable athleticism at the NBA level.

The NBA is a physical league.

Tyler is finding out the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online