Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect

I've been there. Duke doesn't criticize their players as much as us. It's comical. I really don't think you know basketball.
It's okay to criticize when players play bad as long as you praise them when they play well. I try to be balanced. Lydon was making me angry today, but when he plays well, I'll send you an internet high five.

I think Lydon is taking heat today (moreso than normal) because everyone else seems to be stepping up in these games where we seem on the ropes, and Lydon just kind of muddles along playing well enough, but not really being an alpha or the one really stepping up his game.

I think the expectation is that he's "the guy" and outside of some moments whilst we were getting trounced early on he hasn't been at the forefront of many of our big moments. He made the pass last game, but Battle made the shot. White has hit some huge shots, Gillon has had some nice moments...

So, in a game like this, with Battle down, to see him put forth one of his more pedestrian efforts was a tad disheartening for fans. Anyway, he seemed hobbled a bit, and I'm sure that contributes to it all. I think it's more that people want him to take over, and he still seems to be as hesitant as Gillon at times to pull the trigger on an open three, which makes no sense because he's a foot taller and a late closeout shouldn't bother him. The unforced errors today just made it all the more obvious how he was struggling though...we expect the airball, and inability to make the catch from Robey, from Lydon, not so much.

Anyway, crap game, but he's still a great player.

If he stays it's simply because he wants to play college ball. He would have most definitely been picked before Mali last year and I think he's still around that same area this year. I'd say overall he's been better and his numbers back that up. Nothing is guaranteed. If he's a first rounder again he should go. Lydon is packed with future potential, which will be hard for teams to pass on. Here's to hoping he just loves him some Orange!!!!

I think Lydon is taking heat today (moreso than normal) because everyone else seems to be stepping up in these games where we seem on the ropes, and Lydon just kind of muddles along playing well enough, but not really being an alpha or the one really stepping up his game.

I think the expectation is that he's "the guy" and outside of some moments whilst we were getting trounced early on he hasn't been at the forefront of many of our big moments. He made the pass last game, but Battle made the shot. White has hit some huge shots, Gillon has had some nice moments...

So, in a game like this, with Battle down, to see him put forth one of his more pedestrian efforts was a tad disheartening for fans. Anyway, he seemed hobbled a bit, and I'm sure that contributes to it all. I think it's more that people want him to take over, and he still seems to be as hesitant as Gillon at times to pull the trigger on an open three, which makes no sense because he's a foot taller and a late closeout shouldn't bother him. The unforced errors today just made it all the more obvious how he was struggling though...we expect the airball, and inability to make the catch from Robey, from Lydon, not so much.

Anyway, crap game, but he's still a great player.
Ghost, you just perfectly summed up my thoughts. That's exactly why I've been so frustrated with Lydon. I want him to be the alpha dog and just take over because he is that talented. He seems to defer and it just irks me because we need him to score. Thank you for this thought out post.

I think Lydon likes college a lot more than those other guys. Most of those guys had one foot out the door before they got here.

I agree. He may play all four years and just go play professionally in Europe if it doesn't work out in the NBA.

Ghost, you just perfectly summed up my thoughts. That's exactly why I've been so frustrated with Lydon. I want him to be the alpha dog and just take over because he is that talented. He seems to defer and it just irks me because we need him to score. Thank you for this thought out post.
It's really difficult for a big man to be an alpha dog.

It's really difficult for a big man to be an alpha dog.
A stretch 4 it's not. He could shoot 10 threes a game. Good shots as well, but he passes them up. How often does he catch it on the perimeter wide open and not pull it? He should abuse his matchups vs traditional bigs by shooting and he should post when a smaller guy is on him. He is a matchup problem everywhere and needs to demand the ball.

he doesnt have NBA size or athleticism but he plays hard and can shoot most of the time. When they other guys left they had NBA bodies if not NBA game. Will someone pay him a 1-2 million to play D league is the question and hope that in 2 yrs he has an NBA game?

I've been there. Duke doesn't criticize their players as much as us. It's comical. I really don't think you know basketball.

Orange fans are passionate fans. Either we are passionately in love or we are throwing pots.

Coming into today Lydon had the best PER in conference games, the best TS%, 2nd in eFG%, most rebounds and most blocks on the team. All while being forced to play out of position due to shortcomings of teammates and playing more minutes than he should have to at any level. He's a 1st round draft pick this season. He's our best all-around player.

In sum, he's done his job this season with little or no doubt.

It doesn't matter if a guy is "not ready" for the NBA. 75% of the guys drafted in the 1st round aren't ready. It only matters if some NBA GM wants to select you and give you a 3 year guaranteed contract for $1M+ per year. IMO Lydon will never be able to guard NBA 3's m-2-m. But many guys in the league can't guard anyone.

Yeah, get better in college and never get paid in the NBA, maybe.

A whole lot of guys in the D-League stayed in school.

He has a higher ceiling, as did Mali. Ennis most likely was a finished product.

Lydon. Good college player. Will be a guy who hovers around on a few rosters for a few years than is found playing in some Euro pro league. I don't think people realize how good players in the NBA are that are regulars and rotation guys.

He should see the success of kids drafted later and on the D league express. At some point we have data points to say get better in college.

But this isn't true. You have no idea whether if those kids stayed they would have improved their NBA prospects any. They might never have had enough ability to make it in the NBA.

The NBA drafts on potential. The more you play in college the less potential you have as your game becomes more known, you get older and your potential evaporates.

I am convinced that many of these kids are not destined to be NBA players. They simply have raw athletic ability that NBA teams are willing to drop a few million on to see if they can hit the lottery and luck into a stud player. The kids can take the millions when its offered or not. But there is no guarantee that it will still be there when they come back for it later.

You simply don't know whether those kids that left early, were drafted and didn't have the career you thought they should have, didn't have that career because they left too early or because they simply weren't good enough to ever have the type of career you envisioned for them. If it was so easy to stay in school, get stronger and assure yourself a better NBA career more guys would do it. Instead what we actually see is more guys grabbing the money when it's there and even though many of these guys don't pan out the NBA still drafts them and continues to value the early entrant higher than the "stronger" 4 year player.

Coming into today Lydon had the best PER in conference games, the best TS%, 2nd in eFG%, most rebounds and most blocks on the team. All while being forced to play out of position due to shortcomings of teammates and playing more minutes than he should have to at any level. He's a 1st round draft pick this season. He's our best all-around player.

In sum, he's done his job this season with little or no doubt.
He does his job but I think it is more his attitude. I thought he would take a leap and start to dominate. Every year we have had a guy step up. Fair, Xmas then G. His stats show he does well but something is lacking when it matters. To me he is tentative and he wants to blend in and be the all around guy. I think ppl thought given his talent level he would be the leader of the team this year and demand the ball when needed.

Problem is, being "ready" has very little to do with whether he'll get drafted.

Lydon. Good college player. Will be a guy who hovers around on a few rosters for a few years than is found playing in some Euro pro league. I don't think people realize how good players in the NBA are that are regulars and rotation guys.
That seems like a description of most of the players who have come out of Syracuse since advent of the "one & done" and "two and through" era.
Can't blame anyone for grabbing big money as soon as possible.
But also can't help but thinking that most of them would become much better players staying 3 or 4 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom