Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect

You don't need to be ready on day one in the NBA. Being on an NBA roster, attending practices full-time, being on an NBA strength-conditioning regiment, etc. will prepare you more for the league than being in college.

There's a difference between not being ready to play in the NBA and not being ready to make the jump to the NBA.

I'm afraid he washes out if he jumps given what he's displayed this year.

Mali, Dion, MCW, Grant were all ready to make the jump and 3 of them are playing major minutes on their team this year while Mali is a rookie who still has time to earn a roster spot.

If he's a first round pick and he's cool with where's he's projected, by all means go, but he's the first player that I think has zero shot at making a roster and could wash out of the D-League if he's not careful.

There's a difference between not being ready to play in the NBA and not being ready to make the jump to the NBA.

I'm afraid he washes out if he jumps given what he's displayed this year.

Mali, Dion, MCW, Grant were all ready to make the jump and 3 of them are playing major minutes on their team this year while Mali is a rookie who still has time to earn a roster spot.

If he's a first round pick and he's cool with where's he's projected, by all means go, but he's the first player that I think has zero shot at making a roster and could wash out of the D-League if he's not careful.

Why was Grant ready to make the jump and not Lydon?

If Lydon stays for four years, think "Kyle Wiltjer" by his last year ... that's if we can get a Karnowski and a Sabonis ...:)

Last edited:
I don't think Grant was a "lockdown" anything in 2014.
Lydon is nowhere close to the athlete Grant was at Syracuse. Grants size and athleticism projected very favorably to the NBA.

Lydon is tall and can shoot it. He'll be given chances because of that but he has much more to work on than Grant ever did if he ever wants to see a roster spot.

Lydon is nowhere close to the athlete Grant was at Syracuse. Grants size and athleticism projected very favorably to the NBA.

Lydon is tall and can shoot it. He'll be given chances because of that but he has much more to work on than Grant ever did if he ever wants to see a roster spot.

That's the thing. Lydon has one NBA skill already. Grant was athletic, which, let's be honest, makes you a dime a dozen.

Grant was pretty fortunate he fell to philadelphia.

I still don't know what the difference is between being ready for the league and being ready to make the jump. Because if it's just being an athletic freak, then Tyler Ennis should probably still be here.

That's the thing. Lydon has one NBA skill already. Grant was athletic, which, let's be honest, makes you a dime a dozen.

Grant was pretty fortunate he fell to philadelphia.
I don't think Grants athleticism is "dime a dozenish". I get what you're saying, I just don't see NBA when I watch Lydon. He's lacking a lot, both mentally and physically.

He's the first "first rounder" who's been assumed to be gone that I just didn't see anything remotely verifying that projection in his play.

I think he's someone who could benefit greatly from coming back. I didn't think that for Grant, MCW, Ennis, Dion or Mali.

Like I said, Lydon will be given chances due to his height and shooting. I just don't want him to squander one right out the gate by leaving school a year too early because right now, he's headed straight to the D-League.

Lydon. Good college player. Will be a guy who hovers around on a few rosters for a few years than is found playing in some Euro pro league. I don't think people realize how good players in the NBA are that are regulars and rotation guys.

I agree, at best he will get a sniff. Cuse frosh that have success are hailed to the nba. Not sure what people see at this point. Doesn't contest at the rim, doesn't drive it with Juice. Colson 4 inches shorter blows him away.

Since we know Battle was ill today, is there any chance Lydon was too and he just sucked it up and still tried his best? Is it possible that was his problem today?

Gimme a break with the excuses!

But this isn't true. You have no idea whether if those kids stayed they would have improved their NBA prospects any. They might never have had enough ability to make it in the NBA.

The NBA drafts on potential. The more you play in college the less potential you have as your game becomes more known, you get older and your potential evaporates.

I am convinced that many of these kids are not destined to be NBA players. They simply have raw athletic ability that NBA teams are willing to drop a few million on to see if they can hit the lottery and luck into a stud player. The kids can take the millions when its offered or not. But there is no guarantee that it will still be there when they come back for it later.

You simply don't know whether those kids that left early, were drafted and didn't have the career you thought they should have, didn't have that career because they left too early or because they simply weren't good enough to ever have the type of career you envisioned for them. If it was so easy to stay in school, get stronger and assure yourself a better NBA career more guys would do it. Instead what we actually see is more guys grabbing the money when it's there and even though many of these guys don't pan out the NBA still drafts them and continues to value the early entrant higher than the "stronger" 4 year player.

Guys overvalue themselves and accept bad advice. Mali did and so did Ennis.

The NBA either gets ready made guys, freaks with potential or flyers. Right now the guys who left early for us minus a couple were simply in the last group. It's a dangerous place to be.

Guys overvalue themselves and accept bad advice. Mali did and so did Ennis.

The NBA either gets ready made guys, freaks with potential or flyers. Right now the guys who left early for us minus a couple were simply in the last group. It's a dangerous place to be.
The beauty of this is we can't ever know if you're right, but Malachi and Tyler do know they're getting real NBA checks right now.

Well Mali has been in the D league and Ennis is barely hanging on. So obviously they got bad advice.

That logic seems...Questionable.

Coming into today Lydon had the best PER in conference games, the best TS%, 2nd in eFG%, most rebounds and most blocks on the team. All while being forced to play out of position due to shortcomings of teammates and playing more minutes than he should have to at any level. He's a 1st round draft pick this season. He's our best all-around player.

In sum, he's done his job this season with little or no doubt.

I don't agree with the people who say he's playing out of position. Sure, in a normal system, he is not a 5, but in the zone, the 5 is his best position. He doesn't have enough lateral quickness/closeout speed to play the wing in the zone, so right in the middle is where he belongs. I also don't think it has any effect on what he does on offense, as playing the 4 or 5 is negligible in our system.

Gimme a break with the excuses!

This doesn't look like an excuse:

Lydon1.jpg

Lydon2.jpg

This happened during the Clemson game. Lydon kept playing but I kept thinking it looked a lot worse than what he was doing afterwards. I was wondering if he would have a bad game today because of it. If player gets injured it's not an excuse. Today, he did play to the best of abilities through the injury. What more can you ask for? I don't see you out there playing!

This doesn't look like an excuse:

View attachment 89315

View attachment 89316

This happened during the Clemson game. Lydon kept playing but I kept thinking it looked a lot worse than what he was doing afterwards. I was wondering if he would have a bad game today because of it. If player gets injured it's not an excuse. Today, he did play to the best of abilities through the injury. What more can you ask for? I don't see you out there playing!

Yes, it does, he was sprinting up and down the court, no limp, no grimacing.

Yes, it does, he was sprinting up and down the court, no limp, no grimacing.

Look, I get the no excuses comments. But he's been averaging 14 ppg and 7.8 rpg. Today he had 8 pts and 6 rebounds. You don't know if his ankle was taped. Or if he was playing through discomfort. At this level, you have to be at your absolute best every game. The injury looked real to me. And to be honest with you, whole team wasn't exactly having their best game either.

It's just one game. I bet you right now if Lydon decides to enter the draft he goes first round.

All of you that think you should be able to play through a case of the flu probably never had more than a head cold and thought that was a big deal.
I've had two cases of flu that I could only crawl to the bathroom to "relieve myself." After that, it was two days before I could even start to get back to normal activity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom