Tyler Roberson video... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Roberson video...

I'm not saying he can't or doesn't dunk. In that clip package, how many of his shots are off the glass from in close, or laying it in off glass at the end of a fast break, and then think about Donte Greene, for instance, who used to be Mr. Phi Slamma Jamma.

You've watched full games of his, as I have, and he seems less bouncy than a lot of guys who are prospects at his level, but he has more actual basketball skill. Some guys are just athletes who happen to play basketball. I see Roberson as more of a basketball player first. He makes the solid play, not the spectacular, which is good. It's what coaches want to see. Wes Johnson and Hakim Warrick had freakish athleticism. I just haven't seen that from Roberson.
Sorry, but disagree.
He has both. I call getting up fast and high to block a seven footers decent post move, freakish.
I call many dunk putbacks that show him clearly high above all others in a crowded space freakish. All this before he set foot on campus. Not even a freshman.
And he's a student of the game.

So both.
SUball

JB tries to reward players who have paid their dues. This is why I do not expect to see a radical reduction in BMK minutes. Nor do I expect a significant reduction in Rak minutes. CJ came back and JB will reward him by showcasing him. Grant paid his dues as the fourth forward and will now be promoted to third forward. I expect CJ/Grant/Rak/DC2/BMK all to get more minutes than a frosh Roberson. It's how JB likes things to play out.

To expect Roberson to start and/or to be part of a 3 way split of the 80 at forward seems to go against the normal way JB would like to progress his team.

Have to disagree with the basic theme that JB rewards upperclassmen -- if you mean regardless of how they improve, or whether they can help JB get wins.

There aren't a lot of examples where JB has favored an upperclassman -- maybe BT got some extra time when Dion was better; maybe Southerland was favored even when he was not shooting well; maybe MCW sat in favor of Scoop. Maybe . . ., but in each case JB was piling up the wins.

JB has favored frosh with starting honors that weren't deserved (Fab, Rak, DC2), but coupled that with a quick hook, and played his best guys with the game on the line.

And that is how it will work with Roberson, and other frosh. And with BMK as a returning senior. If they can make the plays in close games, they make their mark in JB's rotation.

Have to disagree with the basic theme that JB rewards upperclassmen -- if you mean regardless of how they improve, or whether they can help JB get wins.

There aren't a lot of examples where JB has favored an upperclassman -- maybe BT got some extra time when Dion was better; maybe Southerland was favored even when he was not shooting well; maybe MCW sat in favor of Scoop. Maybe . . ., but in each case JB was piling up the wins.

JB has favored frosh with starting honors that weren't deserved (Fab, Rak, DC2), but coupled that with a quick hook, and played his best guys with the game on the line.

And that is how it will work with Roberson, and other frosh. And with BMK as a returning senior. If they can make the plays in close games, they make their mark in JB's rotation.
I think if it is close to a tie, JB goes with the upperclassmen. It is a recurring theme. I think Grant was better than both Rak and JS last year. We may think Roberson is better than Rak and BMK but since it is close Roberson will get the least amount of time. And if Roberson gets the least amount of time as I suspect, that does not mean that if he was given more time that SU would lose. SU is loaded.

What do you mean by "and this is how it will work with Roberson"? You are not suggesting Roberson is going to start are you? That is one serious long shot statement, bordering on lunacy (sorry 'Bees but it is). It's one thing to make a nice highlight reel against homeless Sandy victims and quite another to be called the best defensive frosh ever at SU. And that best ever defensive frosh probably won't start.

And the statement "if they can make plays in close games, they make their mark in JB's rotation". What close game are they going to be in? Like Grant and MCW's frosh years, the frosh are not going to be in at the end of any close game. This is by design. And all logical indicators point to the design for this coming year to be for Roberson to take Grant's role from last year.

I think if it is close to a tie, JB goes with the upperclassmen. It is a recurring theme. I think Grant was better than both Rak and JS last year. We may think Roberson is better than Rak and BMK but since it is close Roberson will get the least amount of time. And if Roberson gets the least amount of time as I suspect, that does not mean that if he was given more time that SU would lose. SU is loaded.

What do you mean by "and this is how it will work with Roberson"? You are not suggesting Roberson is going to start are you? That is one serious long shot statement, bordering on lunacy (sorry 'Bees but it is). It's one thing to make a nice highlight reel against homeless Sandy victims and quite another to be called the best defensive frosh ever at SU. And that best ever defensive frosh probably won't start.

And the statement "if they can make plays in close games, they make their mark in JB's rotation". What close game are they going to be in? Like Grant and MCW's frosh years, the frosh are not going to be in at the end of any close game. This is by design. And all logical indicators point to the design for this coming year to be for Roberson to take Grant's role from last year.
Wow. Speaking of lunacy.
Ease up a little.
Then while you're at it, tell me who won against almost every year national contender in Bobby Hurley Sr.'s St. Anthony team.
Wow.

Tyler takes his jumpshot because he likes to not just because hes confident he can knock down a fair percentage. Shooting turnaround jumpers in the post verifys that. That is where I was drawing the warick comparisons. And pulling up off a lateral jumper off a dribble into open space instead of one headed towards the basket reminds me of Donte Greene, or Dnic or Wes Johnson.

If they have the dribble drive to the basket and a feet to the ground 12 footer to pumpfake off of Roberson, Dajuan or Grant could have more of a face up jumper then AO, Rick, Joseph,Wes, Southerland ever had in the mold of CJ or Warrick. And thats why CJ is going to to be looked at as a lottery pick this year. All three are already more physical in the post then Wes, Joseph, and Southerland ever were and taller then CJ.

I really love guys who can pull up off the bounce off a nice lateral step off a dribble or two and Tyler, BJ and Ron all have that. Ron for example has a crazy-long sidestep pullup going left. His sidestep would make Dion jealous. BJ is turning more into a SG as the days go on hes breaking his guys down from the perimeter to get to the rim. Just the thought that JB wants to use him as a 6'7 SG and I hope JB's vision comes true is a rediculous thought. I even doubted at Gbinije being able to play guard at 6'7 until I saw his speed at Midnight Madness he was operating at the same speed level of MCW, like a taller J Pace, and JB said he is going to be a good guard defender. He is going to wow alot of heads with that this year. I am Very excited to see 3 freshmen share in these pullup qualities, if they are all around as Jr's the words that comes to mind are "light up".

I still see Dajuan in with Cooney because 1.we lose the dribble drive with Cooney, and 2.Cooney needs a post up guy to kick out to him. I see Rak or Keita in with Gbinije more because of their ability to leap with a high verticle to grab/tap gbinije's/fair's missed layups in the low post. They will also roll better off a pick and roll. Defensively though I don't see Dajuan coming out as high as a Keita or Rak and Gbinije's rebounding will help on those long rebounds.

I have to disagree with you about Boeheim playing better underclassmen less that worse players with more experience. I don't think he has ever done this.

Grant is a good example. If you think Grant was better than Southerland last year than you disagree with Boeheim (and quite frankly you are just wrong).

But you can make a good argument that Grant was better than Christmas, and guess what, Grant played more than Christmas at forward. Christmas racked up the vast majority of his minutes at center, and since for most of the year we were going with only him and Keita he was guaranteed those minutes no matter how good or bad he was.

Wow. Speaking of lunacy.
Ease up a little.
Then while you're at it, tell me who won against almost every year national contender in Bobby Hurley Sr.'s St. Anthony team.
Wow.
All right, I got carried away a little. My point is to try and temper peoples expectations a bit because of the situation he is coming into. And if he doesn't get a lot of minutes, it doesn't mean he's not good.

I do expect Roberson to be one of the stars of the currently underrated 15-16 squad (with DC2).

Sorry, but I can't agree with much of that. Grant showed a lot of promise as a frosh, but he wasn't going to take Rak's minutes at center, and he wasn't going to shoot lights out as JS could do in streaks. Roberson is a F -- not going to take BMK's minutes as a center.

How Roberson does -- how much time he gets at forward -- will depend on how he competes when given the chance. CJ Fair (after many were consigning him to a redshirt) earned time in the second half of the season, as a frosh, by playing effectively when he had his chances. Got more time than JS because his play was better. You can't write a stock formula based on what you saw last year with Rak, CJ, JS and Grant.

Last year at this time, posters were giving Grant a redshirt or extremely limited minutes -- using MCW's frosh year as their proof. Again, the stock formula -- as you are using with Roberson -- but Grant showed he could play.

Our three forwards are CJ, Grant & Roberson. Roberson certainly looks like he can contribute early -- and I am lining up with those predicting the over (versus 12 minutes). But it won't be because of any JB formula, other than how Roberson does when he gets his chances.

All right, I got carried away a little. My point is to try and temper peoples expectations a bit because of the situation he is coming into. And if he doesn't get a lot of minutes, it doesn't mean he's not good.

I do expect Roberson to be one of the stars of the currently underrated 15-16 squad (with DC2).
Oopsy, replied to the wrong post originally.

All good, man. I get carried away too with this stuff. Clearly, both are passionate about this team, and that's good stuff!
Either way, kids are going to rock it this year, that much we can agree on.

And, yeah. I'm making some assumptions based on his talent that might not fit in with the norm the past few seasons, but if I'm right, we've got a sick team. If I'm wrong, we probably still have a sick team.

:)

Oopsy, replied to the wrong post originally.

All good, man. I get carried away too with this stuff. Clearly, both are passionate about this team, and that's good stuff!
Either way, kids are going to rock it this year, that much we can agree on.

And, yeah. I'm making some assumptions based on his talent that might not fit in with the norm the past few seasons, but if I'm right, we've got a sick team. If I'm wrong, we probably still have a sick team.

:)
What if Rak and CJ had both left? That was a distinct possibility. We would then have had Grant and Roberson starting at forward backed up by BJ and/or MG. That wouldn't have been bad.

In my mind it's analagous to parking MCW behind the returning Scoop/Dion uncertainty.

I'd take actual basketball skill over freakish athleticism any day twice on Sunday. Players being drafted on freakish athleticism and "potential" are whats ruining the NBA. Also,hiring recently retired NBA players as head coaches doesn't help either. Sorry to get off topic.

I agree. I think Roberson is going to make the rotation precisely because he makes the sure play, the solid play. He's got great activity around the rim and he has a really tough competitive streak. I think he will be able to rebound and defend at this level sooner than the other new guys. I don't know that he will knock Grant out of a starting spot, but he's the guy, other than Ennis, who I expect to play the most among the frosh.

What if Rak and CJ had both left? That was a distinct possibility. We would then have had Grant and Roberson starting at forward backed up by BJ and/or MG. That wouldn't have been bad.

In my mind it's analagous to parking MCW behind the returning Scoop/Dion uncertainty.
Hey, CJ was near on leaving and rumor of Rak too, but now, I am loving this big old house we've got.

All I know is that : If roberson hasn't figured a way to calm tensions in the middle east and bring it to peace in the next 5 years, he'll be a bigger disappointment than Devon Brennan -Mcbride.

Roberson for senate '16

I agree. I think Roberson is going to make the rotation precisely because he makes the sure play, the solid play. He's got great activity around the rim and he has a really tough competitive streak. I think he will be able to rebound and defend at this level sooner than the other new guys. I don't know that he will knock Grant out of a starting spot, but he's the guy, other than Ennis, who I expect to play the most among the frosh.
You might have a point with that. He does seem to offer a more well-rounded game, and that's no knock on Grant.
Grant is going to be a maniac this year and to think that he grew yet again...Oh lawwwwwwd.

Who knows? Maybe JB does with Grant what he did with Dirty and Dion. Let him "in-game sccccccccout" the other team.
Regardless, when Grant plays, he's going to be a disruptive force on the defensive end, and if he attacks both sides of the court like he did last year, we're looking up.

I really think that if the guard play holds up, we might be a tad better than last year.

All I know is that : If roberson hasn't figured a way to calm tensions in the middle easy and bring it to peace in the next 5 years, he'Lloyd be a bigger disappointment than Devon Brennan -Mcbride.

Roberson for senate '16
When you're right you're right, but don't sell the kid short.
That's Mr. President to you, brother.

Roberson has the skills from SG to PF including SF. When you factor in SG skills with his athletic ferociousness as a 6'8 PF hes easily one of the top 10 most well rounded freshmen in the country. He has the potential to run the offense for Syracuse from all over the court. :)
:edited that many times looking for the perfect words:

You might have a point with that. He does seem to offer a more well-rounded game, and that's no knock on Grant.
Grant is going to be a maniac this year and to think that he grew yet again...Oh lawwwwwwd.

Who knows? Maybe JB does with Grant what he did with Dirty and Dion. Let him "in-game sccccccccout" the other team.
Regardless, when Grant plays, he's going to be a disruptive force on the defensive end, and if he attacks both sides of the court like he did last year, we're looking up.

I really think that if the guard play holds up, we might be a tad better than last year.
I have a running theory that you just really want that autographed hat to be worth something. Lol

Know how I know I'm getting older? When I watch a video and realize that a recruit's mother is not that much older than me. Granted, his mom looks about 28, but still. Wow. In closing, I feel old.

That said, it could just be me but it feels like Tyler is flying a little bit under the radar. If he didn't have CJ and Jerami ahead of him, I have a feeling he'd be primed to make a huge impact immediately.

People have made other comparisons, but I'm getting the same sense in terms of national recognition, the fact that he'll have to wait his turn, etc, that he'll be our next CJ Fair.

Know how I know I'm getting older? When I watch a video and realize that a recruit's mother is not that much older than me. Granted, his mom looks about 28, but still. Wow. In closing, I feel old.

That said, it could just be me but it feels like Tyler is flying a little bit under the radar. If he didn't have CJ and Jerami ahead of him, I have a feeling he'd be primed to make a huge impact immediately.

People have made other comparisons, but I'm getting the same sense in terms of national recognition, the fact that he'll have to wait his turn, etc, that he'll be our next CJ Fair.

His mom is smokin' hot. No question about it.

The video doesn't work. Anyone have an alternate link?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom