Typical cowgirl game | Syracusefan.com

Typical cowgirl game

victor

All Conference
First of all I lose the feeds from my local station with about 7 min. to go at which point both teams go on a scoring binge. Then finally the cowboys stop the Lions and predictably run 3 plays into the line burn very little time and kick a field goal with 1 min. to go. I tell my wife they are going to blow this game. Of course she could care less because she is watching the Oprah network while I am keeping track of the game on the internet.

Needless to say the Lions march down the field in 50 sec. with no timeouts and the boys lose the game by a point. Just once I would like to see the coach do the unpredictable and throw a pass instead of running three plays into the line but what do I know. Of course the feeds come back on for the damn Redskins game. Life is not fair.

That was some quarterbacking by Stafford on that drive.

Garrett lost this by not taking a knee on third down. Had he done that the clock runs down and then they kick the FG. Instead they get a holding call that stops the clock giving Detroit 60 seconds to work their magic. For a Princeton graduate he makes a lot of boneheaded calls as a HC. I am sure he is a bright guy in life but as a coach he stinks.

Garrett lost this by not taking a knee on third down. Had he done that the clock runs down and then they kick the FG. Instead they get a holding call that stops the clock giving Detroit 60 seconds to work their magic. For a Princeton graduate he makes a lot of boneheaded calls as a HC. I am sure he is a bright guy in life but as a coach he stinks.
Appreciate you and Toga filling me in on what happened since my local station lost the feeds and my TV was tuned to Oprah. I do agree with your assessment of Garrett, but Jones needs to go too and he owns the damn team.

Appreciate you and Toga filling me in on what happened since my local station lost the feeds and my TV was tuned to Oprah. I do agree with your assessment of Garrett, but Jones needs to go too and he owns the damn team.

Jones is the new Al Davis. Dallas is screwed until Jerry passes away. Just have to hope he doesn't run the team to far into the ground before that happens.

So we have one guy saying they should've thrown it and another saying they should've taken a knee anticipating a possible holding call. Hindsight is always amusing. I've watched enough football to be pretty sure 100% of coaches do the same thing on that last possession. The holding penalty was a killer.

If there was a spot to be more aggressive it was the previous possession with 3:30 left. Your goal at that point (especially w/ the Lions having all 3 time outs) needs to be optimizing your chances of getting 3 or 4 1st downs to end the game which for Dallas means throwing the ball. Of course if you're brain dead or your name is Brian Billick you think the problem is throwing on 3rd&long after running twice for -2yds ("oh no the Lions might run out of time with 2:30 and only 1 time out!").

So we have one guy saying they should've thrown it and another saying they should've taken a knee anticipating a possible holding call. Hindsight is always amusing. I've watched enough football to be pretty sure 100% of coaches do the same thing on that last possession. The holding penalty was a killer.

If there was a spot to be more aggressive it was the previous possession with 3:30 left. Your goal at that point (especially w/ the Lions having all 3 time outs) needs to be optimizing your chances of getting 3 or 4 1st downs to end the game which for Dallas means throwing the ball. Of course if you're brain dead or your name is Brian Billick you think the problem is throwing on 3rd&long after running twice for -2yds ("oh no the Lions might run out of time with 2:30 and only 1 time out!").
I just wish that sometimes coaches would go against conventional wisdom. I understand what coaches always do. The only thing that was keeping the cowboys in the game were turnovers by the Lions. Why not fake a run on first down and go for the big play. If you fail you still have 2 more downs and can kick a field goal. By the way did you see the Lions go for the touchdown on fourth and two instead of kicking the field goal. That was certainly going against conventional wisdom and so are on side kicks and fake punts.

One more thing. I would not count the G men out yet. This division is wide open. The cowboys had their chances today and blew it. Three of the next four games are away from home and this lost was devastating.

I just wish that sometimes coaches would go against conventional wisdom. I understand what coaches always do. The only thing that was keeping the cowboys in the game were turnovers by the Lions. Why not fake a run on first down and go for the big play. If you fail you still have 2 more downs and can kick a field goal. By the way did you see the Lions go for the touchdown on fourth and two instead of kicking the field goal. That was certainly going against conventional wisdom and so are on side kicks and fake punts.

You're talking to someone who thinks Ron Rivera suddenly going on 4th downs all the time after previously being a huge chicken is one of the more exciting developments in the league right now. I'm like president of the "coaches are too conservative" club. I just don't think milking the click to 20seconds without a penalty is the spot to be critical of what's conventional.

I don't understand the rule. It seems to me that if a team declines a penalty, the game should continue as if the penalty didn't occur, which means the clock should run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom