Tyus and Frank | Syracusefan.com

Tyus and Frank

Lucid

Last One Picked
Posts in other threads, as well as recent games, seem to point to an incompatibility between Tyus and Frank on the court this season, and that raises a lot of questions for me...

1. Why did Frank have his best games of the year without Tyus on the court? Is it primarily mental, just because he knew he needed to step up in Tyus' absence, or does it have more to do with their skill sets being incompatible?

2. If their skills are incompatible, why exactly is that? Is it that both of them are more geared toward iso scoring and less toward sharing the basketball? I guess that's really pretty obvious... neither is a distributor in any sense. But that raises the next question...

3. Were they able to overcome that, even a little bit, in last year's tournament? And can they overcome it in this year's tournament? If so, how?

All I have are guesses, and I'm more interested in the board's input, so have at it!

Frank was hurt at the beginning of the season and has had to recover in-season, while playing games, which is difficult. He overdid it at Duke and had a setback.
Frank looked better without Tyus because of two factors: He had a larger role, and he is healthier.

Frank and Tyus have played well together and can do it again.

Posts in other threads, as well as recent games, seem to point to an incompatibility between Tyus and Frank on the court this season, and that raises a lot of questions for me...

1. Why did Frank have his best games of the year without Tyus on the court? Is it primarily mental, just because he knew he needed to step up in Tyus' absence, or does it have more to do with their skill sets being incompatible?

2. If their skills are incompatible, why exactly is that? Is it that both of them are more geared toward iso scoring and less toward sharing the basketball? I guess that's really pretty obvious... neither is a distributor in any sense. But that raises the next question...

3. Were they able to overcome that, even a little bit, in last year's tournament? And can they overcome it in this year's tournament? If so, how?

All I have are guesses, and I'm more interested in the board's input, so have at it!
I am fond of both players, so there is no agenda in this post. But while this team has solid to strong individual talent, especially at the two guard slots, the squad's combined chemistry seems to be lacking. I don't think there necessarily has to be blame associated with this, either for individual players or JAB/coaching staff. This is largely an intangible, one that is difficult to pinpoint. It appears that everyone gets along very well, so there are no overt personality conflicts to point toward.

That said, I am optimistic that next season will be much better than most here are anticipating. Not only do I like (not love) the overall talent (the 5 spot being an exception), but I think that the pieces will fit better and we'll see more ball movement and cohesion, especially on offense. Sometimes the pieces just don't fit ideally.

If you watched Frank try to drive to the basket all year long, its been pretty obvious that something was off. He got to the rim and scored more times per game last year than he did total this year.

After his big game against Duke he said he felt healthier than he has all season, and that's your explanation right there. Plus obviously, he's going to get more shots without Tyus in the game than with Tyus, and more shots usually equals more points.

Tyus, a healthy Frank, and Buddy make a good backcourt. They won't have any trouble playing together. That doesn't mean they can't have a bad night, but if they do its just because they had a bad night, not because they are negatively affecting each other's game.

I'm curious about this... it's the first I've heard of it.
Well, thank you, it's my theory.

At Duke both Carey and Buddy couldn't handle the pressure - Carey turning the ball over, Buddy banking in a 3. We needed Frank the whole second half, don't win that game without him. But IMO, it came at a cost, the adrenaline filled overexertion produced a slight set back in Frank's recovery.

I'm hoping we're seeing the real Frank now.

Curious how to see JB handles the rotation with Frank playing well. We need Buddy on the court as well. He's been one of our best players in ACC play.

Curious how to see JB handles the rotation with Frank playing well. We need Buddy on the court as well. He's been one of our best players in ACC play.

We will see Frank out there until he screws up or until we fall behind and need some three's to close the gap, assuming Frank hasn't been hitting them.

Frank has games where he appears to go into sleep-walk mode with lazy or ill-advised passes that turn into dunks for the opponents. If he shows that propensity, we'll see Buddy quickly.

We will see Frank out there until he screws up or until we fall behind and need some three's to close the gap, assuming Frank hasn't been hitting them.

Frank has games where he appears to go into sleep-walk mode with lazy or ill-advised passes that turn into dunks for the opponents. If he shows that propensity, we'll see Buddy quickly.

Frank has played better than Battle has recently. Outside of the Wake game Battle had an awful February. Lots of 3-10’s and 4-14’s in his game logs.

Wonder what Frank’s career looks like if he was allowed to play the 2 like Triche

Frank still made Frank plays in those games. He tried to trip Zion...he threw bad/lazy passes. It is just he had to stay on the floor. There was no other option.

Frank is a SG. When Battle isn't on the court, Frank's mentality must switch to scoring, not trying to set up the offense or feed Tyus. That helps him.

Frank hit a beautiful contested step-back and an NBA three in transition, among other nice scoring plays in the ACCT. Could you imagine what would happen here and among the staff if he took those shots and missed with Tyus on the court?

Buddy spaces the court better, too, and the ball doesn't stick in his hands as much as it does with Battle.

Frank still made Frank plays in those games. He tried to trip Zion...he threw bad/lazy passes. It is just he had to stay on the floor. There was no other option.

None of his turnovers were from passes.

And while he was screwing up he decided to burn the nets to keep us in the game.

I'll be happy to see Frank graduate if only to not have to read the constant negative remarks about him.

And while he was screwing up he decided to burn the nets to keep us in the game.

I'll be happy to see Frank graduate if only to not have to read the constant negative remarks about him.

There's always a replacement.

Gmac to Rautins to Triche to Cooney to Frank.

It wasnt really negative. I thought he played the best he played all year overall. I was quite happy for him. All I am saying is he still did some of the same stuff he has done for years. He just couldn’t get pulled.

It wasnt really negative. I thought he played the best he played all year overall. I was quite happy for him. All I am saying is he still did some of the same stuff he has done for years. He just couldn’t get pulled.
But you had to wait until you replied to my post to say something positive.
You'd have been happy to leave the negative.

None of his turnovers were from passes.
I’m pretty sure that is an incorrect statement. But lazy passes don’t always result in turnovers. This year he has thrown a lot of passes that the defender slaps back to him or contests. Usually results in them scrambling to get it. That is normally why JB pulls him. I’m pretty sure that happened in tourney game. I don’t want season to end so I hope he stays hot offensively.

But you had to wait until you replied to my post to say something positive.
You'd have been happy to leave the negative.
Like I said none of it was negative. It was my observation that he got to play through some mistakes because there was no bench. Normally he has gotten the hook quickly. Not sure exactly what was negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom