Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kid owes us nothing.
He has stayed out of trouble and played an insane amount of minutes last year.
He is such a high usage player I don’t know how he would play next year if he had his minutes cut back 5-8 per game.

Like he did his first year...except better, because he’s improved in two years.

Brent Axe‏Verified account @BrentAxeMedia 5m5 minutes ago
Just talked to an NBA scout who said Tyus Battle isn't currently on his team's board. Says he needs a big showing in Chicago pre-draft camp. Scout also said he's smart not to hire and agent and emphasized that next year's draft is "very weak" and Tyus would go higher then.
That makes a ton of sense, especially when looking at who's in this draft.

If Tyus had shot better this year, say 37% from 3, similar to his freshman year, I think he'd have a much better shot at the 1st round. He's not a better athlete or much bigger than many of these other SG's that'll be available, shot as poorly as anyone and will have the Syracuse zone stigma attached. If next year is going to be much weaker, it would certainly make sense to return to shoot for the 1st round if he's got little chance of doing so this year.

NBA people though Lydon should come back for a 3rd year too

A lot of NBA scouts deceived themselves into believing that Lydon has next level athleticism. He doesn't. Plus he had developed that ridiculous double pump before shooting, which is probably a bigger flaw than is Ty's hitch.

However, that being said, the stretch 4 concept is so in vogue with NBA scouts that anybody 6' 10' or bigger who appears to have trey range on their shot has a great chance to go in the first round.

Personally, I think Ty is way better than Lydon, but that does not necessarily make either one a legitimate NBA caliber player or a bona fide first round pick. It was fairly obvious that Lydon was going in the first round, and unless Ty blows up at the combine he isn't. That is why it was smart for Lydon to declare and it may not be the thing for Ty to do.

That makes a ton of sense, especially when looking at who's in this draft.

If Tyus had shot better this year, say 37% from 3, similar to his freshman year, I think he'd have a much better shot at the 1st round. He's not a better athlete or much bigger than many of these other SG's that'll be available, shot as poorly as anyone and will have the Syracuse zone stigma attached. If next year is going to be much weaker, it would certainly make sense to return to shoot for the 1st round if he's got little chance of doing so this year.

He’s not going to get as much attention from the defense as he did this past year, for what it’s worth.

Here's the thing I wonder about -

Suppose he gets good feedback on where to improve and comes back.

But the feedback doesn't align with what Boeheim needs from him.

What happens?

That is an interesting point, but IMHO, the two biggest improvements Ty would have to show is improved scoring efficiency and improved ability to make other around him better (passing skills). That and getting rid of the hitch in his stroke should move him up draft boards. Hard to see how those improvements would not align with anything jimmy might want to do.

That is an interesting point, but IMHO, the two biggest improvements Ty would have to show is improved scoring efficiency and improved ability to make other around him better (passing skills). That and getting rid of the hitch in his stroke should move him up draft boards. Hard to see how those improvements would not align with anything jimmy might want to do.

He also needs to work on his left hand, particularly finishing with it around the basket.

Oh yeah, I agree that I think his stuff will align.

Just something I wonder about. Like, Jerami Grant as an NBA rookie took 2.4 three point attempts per game because the 76ers wanted to see what he could do there.

I'm going to guess if Grant came back with feedback that he needed to extend his range, Boeheim wouldn't have given him the leash to bomb 2+ threes a game.

Just something I wonder about. Like, Jerami Grant as an NBA rookie took 2.4 three point attempts per game because the 76ers wanted to see what he could do there.

I'm going to guess if Grant came back with feedback that he needed to extend his range, Boeheim wouldn't have given him the leash to bomb 2+ threes a game.

Not sure on that. Wallace had the freedom to fire 3’s his senior year. Guys like Joseph and Moten handled the ball a lot more and shot a lot more 3’s their junior/senior year. CJ Fair too.

Not sure on that. Wallace had the freedom to fire 3’s his senior year. Guys like Joseph and Moten handled the ball a lot more and shot a lot more 3’s their junior/senior year. CJ Fair too.

I had to look up the Wallace stats, he took 1 3 his first year, 2 his second, then 14 his third, and finally, 88 as a senior. (made just over 42%). I would have guessed he took more prior to his senior year.

Anyway, I take the point on Grant. Jerami took 5 3's in his last year at SU, and didn't make any of them. He took 156 as an NBA rookie, and barely made over 30%, not very good. JB's job is to win, he's not going to have Grant take a lot of 3's if he's not making them. The Sixers were in a position where they could develop guys more and results were less important.

Based on absolutely nothing except a gut feeling...I think we're going to have him back.

He had to shoulder so much of the load this year.
It will be easier for him to improve and shine next season.

He can always play pro ball.
He can't ever get another year in college as the Big Man On Campus, doing well in school and loving it all.
You can't always play pro ball. The shelf life is limited.

Depends on what he did in the offseason and showed in practice. John Wallace was 0-3 from 3 his first two years, 4-14 as a junior, and 37-88 as a senior. I don't think he shot better because he got the green light. He got the green light because he made himself into a better shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.