Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warrick is another guy who started shooting some 3’s his senior year, where prior to that he never shot them.

Depends on what he did in the offseason and showed in practice. John Wallace was 0-3 from 3 his first two years, 4-14 as a junior, and 37-88 as a senior. I don't think he shot better because he got the green light. He got the green light because he made himself into a better shooter.
Warrick is another guy who started shooting some 3’s his senior year, where prior to that he never shot them.
Does it matter that our two examples here were both seniors and Grant would have been a junior?

Honest question, this is just something that kicks around in my head.

Does it matter that our two examples here were both seniors and Grant would have been a junior?

I don't think so. I think JW worked on his shot after he got his feedback from the scouts. Put him in this climate and maybe he tests the waters a year earier and gets the feedback then. Maybe it took him longer because he was a productive post player, but he saw he'd have to be more as senior when he saw the makeup of the '96 team. I don't have an answer for Warrick. I never thought he should shoot 3's haha.

In 2019, juniors are the new seniors.

I think if Grant could make them, he would’ve shot some as a junior. Maybe more Warrick(30) than Wallace(90), unless he was really nailing them.

Did he go through the draft evauation process after his junior year?

It’s shockingly weak for a player as good as he is

A lot of players don't have a left hand. You see it when they drive to the rim on the left and finish with their right. Finishing with your off hand is the difference between making the layup and getting it blocked. There are too many kids playing high major ball with poor fundamentals.

I think the other thing to remember with Grant is that the 76ers have been in experiment mode for about a decade until this season. They didn't care if he shot them because they didn't care if they lost. They wanted to keep piling up lottery picks until they got their two stars. If they got lucky and struck gold with a guy like Grant, cool. If not, het rid of him and test out the next guy. If he had played for a different franchise, I wonder if they would have allowed the same freedom.

Oh yeah, I agree that I think his stuff will align.

Just something I wonder about. Like, Jerami Grant as an NBA rookie took 2.4 three point attempts per game because the 76ers wanted to see what he could do there.

I'm going to guess if Grant came back with feedback that he needed to extend his range, Boeheim wouldn't have given him the leash to bomb 2+ threes a game.

JB let both Hak and Wallace extend their range, and CJ as well.

I think the other thing to remember with Grant is that the 76ers have been in experiment mode for about a decade until this season. They didn't care if he shot them because they didn't care if they lost. They wanted to keep piling up lottery picks until they got their two stars. If they got lucky and struck gold with a guy like Grant, cool. If not, het rid of him and test out the next guy. If he had played for a different franchise, I wonder if they would have allowed the same freedom.

Well, he only shot 1.4 3’s per game in OKC this year compared to 2.4 per game in his rookie year in Philly 4 years ago.

In 2019, juniors are the new seniors.

I think if Grant could make them, he would’ve shot some as a junior. Maybe more Warrick(30) than Wallace(90), unless he was really nailing them.

Yeah I think the assumption here is that he wouldn't have made that many, at least to start, and then he wouldn't have had the opportunity to take a lot more. Whereas in Philly he had a much longer leash

Well, he only shot 1.4 3’s per game in OKC this year compared to 2.4 per game in his rookie year in Philly 4 years ago.

Right, I think the other side of the coin is that Philly is/was really an outlier in terms of how little they cared about winning and how much experimenting they were willing to do

Tyus is a bright guy and great ambassador for the program.
I trust whatever he does is the best move.
If he hires an agent, I hope he gets PAID. If he backs out I hope he takes us to the final four and then get paid with a degree in tow.

Nice, agreed. No knock on anybody else, but Tyus is the one early-entrant from SU who seems like he's got his act together. Smart kid, I'm not looking to second-guess him. If he's gone, I'll be more disappointed that I don't get to watch him anymore than I will be about any effects on the team or that sort of thing.

I wish Tyus well in whatever he decides. If next year's draft is weaker and returning gives him a better chance to be a first round selection IMO that's the better move. A 2nd rounder is at a decided disadvantage. Most get no guaranteed money. Maybe the top 8-10 get a 1 year contract for $600k and they spend most of the year in the G league. Very few get a contract for a 2nd year. Jerami Grant did but most don't.

A lot of NBA scouts deceived themselves into believing that Lydon has next level athleticism. He doesn't. Plus he had developed that ridiculous double pump before shooting, which is probably a bigger flaw than is Ty's hitch.

However, that being said, the stretch 4 concept is so in vogue with NBA scouts that anybody 6' 10' or bigger who appears to have trey range on their shot has a great chance to go in the first round.

Personally, I think Ty is way better than Lydon, but that does not necessarily make either one a legitimate NBA caliber player or a bona fide first round pick. It was fairly obvious that Lydon was going in the first round, and unless Ty blows up at the combine he isn't. That is why it was smart for Lydon to declare and it may not be the thing for Ty to do.
Wow. You should be an NBA talent evaluator. How can you not be when you clearly know more from TV than do the folks who saw him work out.

Never know.
What's the worst that can happen he doesn't play as well and is a 2nd round pick. He could get hurt Chris mc had as bad an injury as you can have as was still a first round pick

A lot of NBA scouts deceived themselves into believing that Lydon has next level athleticism. He doesn't. Plus he had developed that ridiculous double pump before shooting, which is probably a bigger flaw than is Ty's hitch.

However, that being said, the stretch 4 concept is so in vogue with NBA scouts that anybody 6' 10' or bigger who appears to have trey range on their shot has a great chance to go in the first round.

Personally, I think Ty is way better than Lydon, but that does not necessarily make either one a legitimate NBA caliber player or a bona fide first round pick. It was fairly obvious that Lydon was going in the first round, and unless Ty blows up at the combine he isn't. That is why it was smart for Lydon to declare and it may not be the thing for Ty to do.
Lydon had his rookie season cut short by injury, so his NBA story is still to be written.

The last sure guy who came out of here was Dion. Everyone else was a flier. With that said, what you do in the pros has no bearing on the program. Duke had an awful stretch of putting out bad pros until Kyrie and the recent batch of guys.
I hope SU continues to put out the kind of "bad pros" that have been coming through the program in the last 15 years.

The last sure guy who came out of here was Dion. Everyone else was a flier. With that said, what you do in the pros has no bearing on the program. Duke had an awful stretch of putting out bad pros until Kyrie and the recent batch of guys.
Fliers who for the most part had no business being chosen in the first round of the NBA draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.