Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s going back to Syracuse. He’s not an NBA player, ive been saying it all year.
Agreed. I think he's coming back. He left the door open for a reason. He likes playing for SU, and he'll likely have a nice career somewhere when he's finished here. But I don't think he's finished yet.

Agreed. I think he's coming back. He left the door open for a reason. He likes playing for SU, and he'll likely have a nice career somewhere when he's finished here. But I don't think he's finished yet.
Like I said previously he’s a very good college player but NBA player?? Not so much.

He won’t be back, will be drafted early 2nd round and will get some guaranteed money as some 2nd rounders now get.

Yeah you guys are setting yourselves up.

He won’t be back, will be drafted early 2nd round and will get some guaranteed money as some 2nd rounders now get.
He’s not even top 50.

Top 40 gets the guaranteed $$.

I guess we don't know what level of reality he is willing to live with. I don't believe he will be NBA ready, but will he be happy in G league or Europe?

If he won't be drafted this year, and I don't think he will, why not come back, get the degree and then go wherever the chips fall next year. After that, he can carve out a nice career in his field of choice.

I assume he’s gone until he says he’s coming back, however...that’s a risky game he’s playing if this is truly his thinking. If he’s not a first rounder, the second round of the NBA Draft is about as unpredictable as it gets for a guy like him. Teams just selling picks, stashing euros, taking raw projects etc..

I assume he’s gone until he says he’s coming back, however...that’s a risky game he’s playing if this is truly his thinking. If he’s not a first rounder, the second round of the NBA Draft is about as unpredictable as it gets for a guy like him. Teams just selling picks, stashing euros, taking raw projects etc..

I don’t know if it’s his thinking. It’s just my prediction.

I'm not sure how much Tyus will improve his stock by coming back.

- His combine measures are what they are - those will not change. Sure maybe he could improve SLIGHTLY in his agility drills, but nothing significant. He will have the same height, wingspan, hand size, body % fat, etc next summer.

- He shot very well in the drills, hard to imagine he could do much better next year (in fact you could argue if his in-game shooting doesn't improve next year, and then he shoots at the worse at the combine next year, that'd be a huge red flag)

- NBA teams want to see if he can do more with the ball in his hands and get his teammates involved - well, our offense is our offense. Adding Jalen Carey to the mix will just add another player who can play with the ball in his hands along with Frank. It's hard for me to except all of sudden Tyus' assists go up next year significantly, he will probably have his hands on the ball less - we will have a few more offensive threats and another year of improvement from Oshae and Marek. But he will still be the alpha

- He could probably improve his in-game shooting, but will they bring him to the 1st round?

I believe the main thing Tyus could show NBA teams that would really help his NBA stock is that he can be a true combo guard; but unfortunately for him I don't think he will get the chance to do that next year. If he comes back and his numbers sky rocket to say 20ppg and 5apg and he shows he can play PG for stretches, then I can see the value of it for him. but otherwise he is what he is. Howard and Carey will initiate the offense next year.

He’s not going to be an isolation scorer in the Association. He needs to learn how to be a roll player and play and move off the ball. Unfortunately that’s not going to happen at Syracuse with our stationary/outdated offense.

No but it's not simple either. You need lots of reps to react instinctively.

Actually, it is pretty simple. Much more than the reps, the key essentials are the borne/innate athleticism needed to go with the mental toughness, grit and gumption. Just look at the Cavs/Celtics game last night in their blowout win. The first two games, they were disengaged on the defensive end and did not compete. In just a few days, suddenly all of them could play D? It wasn't the reps, but rather the needed mindset and commitment that is necessary to go with the athleticism.

I don’t understand if his mind was /is truly made up , why didn’t he just hire an agent.
I believe there was an injury concern and his dad probably convinced him to play it safe.

Being a good and committed student is not easy. Especially not in the NCAA, where the system is more concerned about getting you through the "school process" with the least distraction to your basketball efforts as possible. This is a system that will get you through school... it is not a system that allows you to fully seize and dive into the academic experience -- or at least not easily.

When you are very serious about excelling in academics for some it is a big mental toll. It is on their mind all the time, and they feel the need to commit to it harder. Not all good or great students have this difficulty, but many do.

Battle wants to be a good student. He wants to excel in academics -- and he has. And he has a desire to excel as a basketball player. But excelling in both takes quite a bit of time and effort. Overcoming this distraction for many players is quite easy... they embrace the model of putting limited effort into academics and focusing on basketball.

But for Tyus it may not be as easy as that -- he probably feels he can't put all the time he wants into academics and into growing as a basketball player. Essentially he feels pressure to pick one over the other if he wants to take advantage of his basketball talents. So to grow as a basketball player he may feel the need to distance himself from academic pursuits. He can always come back and focus on his academic dream fully if his basketball dream fails.
I don’t know but his degree is in arms length and he has been keeping these balls in the air for this long, he must have a good system and ability to cope. Since he’s probably not going 1st round and getting stupid money, most agree probably early 2nd. However, he can return to school to get that degree, be on a contending team with his brothers(teammates), be BMOC enjoying college life, improving his game and addressing his weakness’s,and possibly/probably move into the first round 2019 or at worst where he sits in draft position this year. This is all my humble opinion.

I don’t understand if his mind was /is truly made up , why didn’t he just hire an agent.

Just reading the tea leaves here:

Tyus first said he would be all in or all out. Reports were that the family had decided on an agent if he decided to go all in.

Tyus reverses course somewhat and says he will go through the evaluation process. further he says that projected draft position doesn't matter. He will make his decision based on whether or not he feels he is ready for the NBA.

Combine was a chance to improve general consensus and outperform expectations to move into a consensus first round position.

Tyus is Tyus at the combine. NBA measurables but basically performed as expected while other 2Gs with the same level of evaluation coming in may have improve their stock.

Coming out of the combine Tyus should know how he measures up to other potential draftees. His chances of going in the first round aren't great so he really needs to get assurance from a team that they will take him in the second round and guarantee his contract for at least two years. To get that guarantee at this point without an agent will likely be challenging. In fact negotiating the terms of a second round contract - not subject to the rookie scale - is probably more fluid than a guaranteed first round deal where the scale is basically set. If Tyus feels he is all in at this point I would expect him to sign with the selected agent prior to individual workouts. Every day he doesn't increases the chances he will return.

I don't see this dragging out until May 30.

Re: defense. I think length is one thing but you have to show quick feet and obviously the desire to play good M2M. Length and athleticism is one thing but some of these long striders without quick feet/quick change of direction ability/quick bursts probably suffer in M2M.

Frank Howard can get in passing lanes and make some plays there but can anybody see him doing remotely well in agility drills at the Combine? Any sprints? No way.

Again with the Frank bash? I figured by now that axe would have dulled a bit but no such luck.:vomit:

They really should get rid of the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.