UB coach | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UB coach

Not for nothing, but UB has been slowly coming up for 4+ years, and it started with Hurley.

Not to be negative but coaches don’t use national powers as stepping stones to leave and try to build up struggling P5 programs. Richmond, VCU, FGCU, UVM, Western Kentucky etc all had excellent eras that do more for the coaches who end up leaving than the continuity of the national prominence of their programs.

4 jucos? That’s not screaming recruiter nor program builder to me. What’s he been doing the past 3 years?

Think there was an article in the buffalo news or the athletic a few days ago about it. Basically said that they can't get a 4* HS kid but that they can get a 4* JUCO kid so they are content grabbing a few JUCOs that they know will be able to play right away and then grab 1 or 2 HS kids to see if they develop.

Was it Marquette who had a similar approach with juco’s?

Not to be negative but coaches don’t use national powers as stepping stones to leave and try to build up struggling P5 programs. Richmond, VCU, FGCU, UVM, Western Kentucky etc all had excellent eras that do more for the coaches who end up leaving than the continuity of the national prominence of their programs.

I somehow quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the "it only took 2 years" thing since it's taken them half a decade to have this tiny slice of relevance. And yes, Oates will bounce this year.

Will they even win the Mac next season when pretty much their entire team graduates?

The players graduating will be tough losses but UB has some really nice underclassmen too who were highly recruited.

PG Rondo Segu and SF Jeenathan Williams were both 4* recruits with offers from high major teams. Jayvon Graves has a ton of talent too. Davonta Jordan has another year of eligility. Even Fagan has looked like he has good potential in the limited minutes he's gotten.

UB is also getting some nice transfers in Antwain Johnson and Gabe Grant. The other three players coming in (Allen, Cadwell and Rojas) were all in the top 30 for Jucos. They're in the mix for another really good one too.

It’s sad but true, UB is more talented of a team right now. They know how to play together - something we still have yet to figure out. I don’t mean to be negative about our bigs and belabor the point, but our recruiting philosophy is way off. We recruit tall lengthy guys for the zone, thinking we will turn them into an offensive threat. It just is not going to happen with some of these bigs. Focus more on scoring bigs - not just wingspan. If UB has better scoring options overall then clearly we are in trouble with our recruiting. Now I can totally see us in a month playing well and us getting shut up, and I hope that happens. But right now it is kinda sad to see. I hope something clicks and I hope it clicks soon.

It’s sad but true, UB is more talented of a team right now. They know how to play together - something we still have yet to figure out. I don’t mean to be negative about our bigs and belabor the point, but our recruiting philosophy is way off. We recruit tall lengthy guys for the zone, thinking we will turn them into an offensive threat. It just is not going to happen with some of these bigs. Focus more on scoring bigs - not just wingspan. If UB has better scoring options overall then clearly we are in trouble with our recruiting. Now I can totally see us in a month playing well and us getting shut up, and I hope that happens. But right now it is kinda sad to see. I hope something clicks and I hope it clicks soon.

How does UB recruit more talented players than a P5 elite program with a HOF coach?

The players graduating will be tough losses but UB has some really nice underclassmen too who were highly recruited.

PG Rondo Segu and SF Jeenathan Williams were both 4* recruits with offers from high major teams. Jayvon Graves has a ton of talent too. Davonta Jordan has another year of eligility. Even Fagan has looked like he has good potential in the limited minutes he's gotten.

UB is also getting some nice transfers in Antwain Johnson and Gabe Grant. The other three players coming in (Allen, Cadwell and Rojas) were all in the top 30 for Jucos. They're in the mix for another really good one too.

I'm assuming you're a UB fan, you're underrating experience.

he loses 5 seniors. we'll see how good the coach is next year.

How does UB recruit more talented players than a P5 elite program with a HOF coach?
They don’t in terms of ranking. But in terms of offensive output I would say they have better offensive players currently as a team.

That's the problem for a mid-major who strikes gold with a coach who's able to grab some under the radar talent and make it happen. They haven't really built a program until it can sustain itself without him.

SU
Paschal - ESPN 4 star recruit 7th rated center , 61st nationally: 247 Sports 4 star recruit 7th ranked center, 67 national rank
Bourama - ESPN 4 star recruit 15th ranked Center , 82nd nationally: 247 Sports 3 star recruit, 48 ranked PF, 190 national

UB
Montella McRae - ESPN PF JC transfer NR: 247 Sports 2 star NR nationally, saw UB had him ranked as a 2 star recruit
Nick Perkins - ESPN NR PF: 247 Sports NR

Both our players suffered serious injuries at SU. Who knows what effect staying injury free has on a player’s career too. SU certainly wasn’t alone in believing in the rankings. If we had recruited non ranked players, how receptive would our fans really be?

That's the problem for a mid-major who strikes gold with a coach who's able to grab some under the radar talent and make it happen. They haven't really built a program until it can sustain itself without him.

I think a program is actually built when a coach stays there and believes that he can continue to elevate the short term excellence into long term success and has earned and trusts the support of the community and university.

SU
Paschal - ESPN 4 star recruit 7th rated center , 61st nationally: Sports 4 star recruit 7th ranked center, 67 national rank
Bourama - ESPN 4 star recruit 15th ranked Center , 82nd nationally: Sports 3 star recruit, 48 ranked PF, 190 national

UB
Montella McRae - ESPN PF JC transfer NR: Sports 2 star NR nationally, saw UB had him ranked as a 2 star recruit
Nick Perkins - ESPN NR PF: Sports NR

Both our players suffered serious injuries at SU. Who knows what effect staying injury free has on a player’s career too. SU certainly wasn’t alone in believing in the rankings. If we had recruited non ranked players, how receptive would our fans really be?

My post was sarcasm.

Who takes him away from Buffalo?

So is this guy a real jerk or what. I read that he said in the after game presser "we just have better players". Really? You say that? In the opposing teams house. On their conference network? Not that they played better, or executed better but have better players? JB complements the teams SU beats, is a gracious winner, says they have a good team, they'll do well in their conference. I also read where he taunted another team on Twitter. Is this how you represent your team and school.

I dont know enough about the guy to care to analyze him, but it's easy for me to see alternate possibilities here.

For example, his comment could be seen as an example of being HUMBLE, saying it wasn't his masterful job of out coaching a HOFer that got the job done. Again, I didnt see the context, but until I have reason to, agreeing with these posts would seem premature for me. We know what JB thinks about premature.

I'm reading here two things: the Syracuse program has poor players, poor coaching, no heart, no ability as evidenced by losing to lowly Buffalo. And that Buffalo is a national power, borderline top 10, 5 seniors, etc. If their uniforms said Kansas on the front would this meltdown be as hot and smelly? Because I'm struggling to understand what is happening with our fan base.

Fair enough, but I'm struggling to understand what is happening to our team. The fan base seems far easier to understand.

That said, I think I agree with your sentiment and pointed it out before the game in the thread where the dude illustrated TrueBlue's point about the nature of many SU student-fans(vs locals), when he said that watching the games had become a chore to him(I dont even remember who it was, not my intent to shame anyone because I seriously doubt he was alone). TrueBlue25 unwittingly nailed it.

Who takes him away from Buffalo?

Does he have any playing eligibility left? If so, K seems good at poaching and getting people to wait in line behind others.

Problem with your description is that once UB gets into conference play, they no longer play either a nation wide schedule or ANY power teams until March. So yeah at the moment they maybe a national powerhouse but in 2 weeks, not so much.

You might be right. We may no longer count as a quality road win by March.

Dethrone us? Who is your real team bro?

I dont know who TB's real team is, but right now Buffalo has the NY's College Basketball Team(tm) title belt. There's a good chance we win it back next season. What kind of teams do the Johnies and Bonnies have lined up?

TrueBlue25, youre kind of like me and at times get ripped on for not wording things as well as others would like you to. Apparently folks here dont think it takes much talent to take an upstate NY school other than SU into the top 10(which theyll likely be in soon). If your original wording implied for this season, I dont have an issue with it.

Funny enough, on a teleconference call before our game Tuesday Oats said he grew up an SU fan

Bullish on UB: How Nate Oats got his start and sustained Buffalo basketball’s success

“Ironically enough I grew up a Syracuse fan. Wisconsin wasn’t very good when I was younger,” Oats said in a telephone conversation Monday afternoon. “I graduated from eighth grade in ‘89, so go back to late 80’s when they had Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas throwing lobs to Stevie Thompson, Ronnie Seikaly, Billy Owens came in. I was a huge Syracuse fan. I had the Syracuse Starter jacket, the whole deal. I remember when Matt Roe transferred to Maryland I was all upset because all we needed was a shooter to win the National Championship.”

Maybe he'll be interested in the job after JB is done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom