UB rebranding itself as "New York" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UB rebranding itself as "New York"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a silly question, but, I'm gonna ask it anyways... ;)

Is there a de facto University of New York, like Chapel Hill is the de facto University of North Carolina?

No there are 4 university centers, in alpha order, Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook.

Albany is the least regarded academically, but is in the capitol district where the power resides. Binghamton is the highest academically rated in terms of undergraduate programs but is not well regarded in terms graduate research and has the least amount of power basically being the red-headed stepchild of the four while Buffalo and Stony Brook reside in the two largest population areas of the state are the closest in terms of meeting the flagship designation fans from other states are used to albeit in a state where the privates still have too much power to give much meaning to being THE flagship university.

Cheers,
Neil

Is there a de facto University of New York, like Chapel Hill is the de facto University of North Carolina?
Actually, that's what this thread is about. New York has about 60 or so state colleges categorized in descending order as University Centers, University Colleges, Tech Colleges, and Community Colleges. There is no defacto UNY, but the four University Centers (Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook) each seem to want to claim the title. The latter three have already been mentioned in this thread - Albany's claim is centered around its location in the State Capitol, as many/most flagship schools are.

I need to either type faster or start refreshing the page before hitting "post" - omni beat me by two minutes with basically the same reply.

Win.

I am a sophomore at UB. I've been to Stony Brook, UAlb, Binghamton, Cortland, Oswego, Geneseo and Plattsburgh...

There's absolutely no question as to who the "flagship school" would, or should be. UB stands far out. Does Stony Brook even have a college town?

UB just won the MAC for baseball too I believe.

I'll worry when after the Bills leave and the Bulls actually fill up that crappy lil stadium with the bad sightlines on a consistent basis. At least suNY Oswego has a national championship in hockey and sub shop.
Lets not forget most bars per capita and the 2nd most amazing sunsets in the world (supposedly?).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

To be honest UB has the potential to surpass Syracuse in football if SU's progress is not sustained. UB has one of the best rushers in the nation returning, Brandon Oliver. The kid was the first to go over a 100 yards vs Georgia's defense in at least a season.

Basketball will never be quite as good. However UB is beginning to succeed in baseball, which SU does not offer.

I could see UB challenging SU in the future athletically, and of course academically.

I got into both schools, both have a comparable education. UB's was the better bang for your buck. I don't know anyone who sees the 40-58,000$, depending on aid, scholarship w.e. worth it.

To be honest UB has the potential to surpass Syracuse in football if SU's progress is not sustained. UB has one of the best rushers in the nation returning, Brandon Oliver. The kid was the first to go over a 100 yards vs Georgia's defense in at least a season.

Basketball will never be quite as good. However UB is beginning to succeed in baseball, which SU does not offer.

I could see UB challenging SU in the future athletically, and of course academically.

I got into both schools, both have a comparable education. UB's was the better bang for your buck. I don't know anyone who sees the 40-58,000$, depending on aid, scholarship w.e. worth it.

What color are the unicorns in your world?

What color are the unicorns in your world?

Have you watched UB football and its progression? They'd easily been a bowl team last year if there star back didn't get hurt. They return there franchise leading wide out, Nunes, there best back since Starks, Oliver, and a solid defense.

What color in the sky in your world? As much as I love Cuse, it's not blue and orange in mine.

Absolutely not like NC where if someone says they went to Carolina or State you automatically know that they are talking about UNC Chapel Hill and NC State and that they didn't spend their time in Greensboro or Boone.

Buffalo
Albany
Stonybrook
Binghamton.

My top 4 by athetlics. Cortland could easily be up there though as they dominate division 3.

No there are 4 university centers, in alpha order, Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook.

Albany is the least regarded academically, but is in the capitol district where the power resides. Binghamton is the highest academically rated in terms of undergraduate programs but is not well regarded in terms graduate research and has the least amount of power basically being the red-headed stepchild of the four while Buffalo and Stony Brook reside in the two largest population areas of the state are the closest in terms of meeting the flagship designation fans from other states are used to albeit in a state where the privates still have too much power to give much meaning to being THE flagship university.

Cheers,
Neil

I have heard folks from other northeastern states say almost the same exact thing, regarding state flagship university designations. That many of the private schools in each state are much, much older, more established, and, considered more prestigious. And, therefore, more desired by students.

I have heard of Binghamton's fine academic standing before. I believe Stony Brook is well-regarded in this area as well.

Actually, that's what this thread is about. New York has about 60 or so state colleges categorized in descending order as University Centers, University Colleges, Tech Colleges, and Community Colleges. There is no defacto UNY, but the four University Centers (Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook) each seem to want to claim the title. The latter three have already been mentioned in this thread - Albany's claim is centered around its location in the State Capitol, as many/most flagship schools are.

What are the differences in these two designations?

I saw the name Geneseo mentioned. Where is that branch located? Is it a good school, too?

Have you watched UB football and its progression? They'd easily been a bowl team last year if there star back didn't get hurt. They return there franchise leading wide out, Nunes, there best back since Starks, Oliver, and a solid defense.

What color in the sky in your world? As much as I love Cuse, it's not blue and orange in mine.
I appreciate your loyalty and fandom of your favored school, but I really don't see where Buffalo is a threat to overtake Syracuse as the the premier BCS level football team in the State of New York, let alone in sports in general.

In case you missed it, Syracuse beat WVU in the Pinstripe Bowl last year. I dare say that Syracuse' schedule was a tad bit tougher, too. Syracuse hoops have been known to win a couple games every now and then. Also, the lacrosse team has had a little notoriety as of late. The remainder of the teams hold their own, too, just look at the Directors Cup Standings.

UB, Binghamton, Stony Brook and Geneseo are all comparable to SU.

SU is just a private school with a better rep...

It's also in a much nicer location.

I appreciate your loyalty and fandom of your favored school, but I really don't see where Buffalo is a threat to overtake Syracuse as the the premier BCS level football team in the State of New York, let alone in sports in general.

In case you missed it, Syracuse beat WVU in the Pinstripe Bowl last year. I dare say that Syracuse' schedule was a tad bit tougher, too. Syracuse hoops have been known to win a couple games every now and then. Also, the lacrosse team has had a little notoriety as of late. The remainder of the teams hold their own, too, just look at the Directors Cup Standings.

... I appreciate your helpful facts. :blah:

However, I'm just saying that UB is also on the upswing now too. They are NOT close to Syracuse athletically right now..but in the great recruiting area they are and future professional athletes like Oliver for football and McRea for basketball theres no reason why UB can't improve in the recruitment category and gain some more notoriety.

SU football by the way has not always DOMINATED UB.

I recall an embarrassing 20-12 Syracuse win against UB in 2007. This alongside poor wins versus Stony Brook and URI in the past 2 years.

Syracuse should always sit pretty as NY's team. However, they could see competition in the future.

.I recall an embarrassing 20-12 Syracuse win against UB in 2007. This alongside poor wins versus Stony Brook and URI in the past 2 years.

Syracuse should always sit pretty as NY's team. However, they could see competition in the future.

Just like the directional Michigan schools have taken advantage of that embarrassing Michigan loss to App State in 2007. Yes, they have capitalized on that low point in Michigan's poor history of success in that time. I mean, Central Michigan had the top pick in this year's NFL draft. It's only a matter of time before the Chippewas are will be talked about in the same breath as the Wolverines, right?

Just like the directional Michigan schools have taken advantage of that embarrassing Michigan loss to App State in 2007. Yes, they have capitalized on that low point in Michigan's poor history of success in that time. I mean, Central Michigan had the top pick in this year's NFL draft. It's only a matter of time before the Chippewas are will be talked about in the same breath as the Wolverines, right?

Are we really comparing ourselves to Michigan football?

Do you really think Syracuse would be able to maintain the same football dominance Michigan does in a state featuring MSU and CMU? Even WMU.

That's a bit of a poor comparison though I see what you're trying to say. Michigan could afford the loss to App state due to a dominating past was 10-20 years in the national spotlight?

Syracuse has been absent since the 90s.

However, I'm just saying that UB is also on the upswing now too. They are NOT close to Syracuse athletically right now..but in the great recruiting area they are and future professional athletes like Oliver for football and McRea for basketball theres no reason why UB can't improve in the recruitment category and gain some more notoriety.

I recall an embarrassing 20-12 Syracuse win against UB in 2007. This alongside poor wins versus Stony Brook and URI in the past 2 years.

So, one game changes everything? O.K. Enjoy your team. Thanks for playing. :crazy: GRob was the coach and managed to lose to almost everyone but he managed to go 2-0 v. Buffalo.

I have no issues with Buffalo, but the two schools are worlds apart athletically.

Do you really think Syracuse would be able to maintain the same football dominance Michigan does in a state featuring MSU and CMU? Even WMU.

That's a bit of a poor comparison though I see what you're trying to say. Michigan could afford the loss to App state due to a dominating past was 10-20 years in the national spotlight?

Yes, I am comparing Cuse to Michigan in about the same way you are comparing UB to Cuse. Cuse has a history of success - not just the 90s. While Cuse may not have as much history as Michigan, comparing UB to Cuse is like comparing Central Michigan to Michigan.

SUNY Oswego has a better chance of overtaking Syracuse Football then UB does.

Kids!

Yes, I am comparing Cuse to Michigan in about the same way you are comparing UB to Cuse. Cuse has a history of success - not just the 90s. While Cuse may not have as much history as Michigan, comparing UB to Cuse is like comparing Central Michigan to Michigan.

Central Michigan 2-1 in bowls since 2008

Michigan 1-2

History gets you so far.

I can tell you the name that gets you farther is Syracuse. UB is not that well known nationally.

My wife got her undergrad from Geneseo, grad at UB, worked at Binghamton - and now works at Cortland. Geneseo is great, big schools are pretty messed up (too big, lots of in-fighting) and Cortland is terrific.

Of all if those places - my school, Syracuse - gets the most respect when we travel and meet new people.

You do realize that the entire eastern half of the state including the state's capital and NYC could give 2 shits about anything to do with Buffalo?

This isn't just about what has or has not been done on the field. Geographically UB has a better chance of being Ontario's college team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom