UB rebranding itself as "New York" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UB rebranding itself as "New York"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guarantee you I am significantly older than you. And wiser too. My son attended UB. I went to one game there. No one cared.

May I ask what sport?

If basketball or football... just notice that both establishments are 20 minutes away from Buffalo itself. Also Buffalo, unlike Syracuse, has relevant professional sports in the Sabres (one of the greatest fanbases in all of sports) and the Bills...the Bandits also get a large following.

Here I'll make a Syracuse-UB comparison. UB sports are to Buffalo like the Syracuse Chiefs are to Syracuse..

Because of the MORONIC stadium placement...either teams or programs could be having a year that deserves the national spotlight or atleast home town attention...

However because the games aren't downtown, or in ABS's case just placed in the worst place possible off Hiawatha near Carousel... no one cares.

May I ask what sport?

If basketball or football... just notice that both establishments are 20 minutes away from Buffalo itself. Also Buffalo, unlike Syracuse, has relevant professional sports in the Sabres (one of the greatest fanbases in all of sports) and the Bills...the Bandits also get a large following.

Here I'll make a Syracuse-UB comparison. UB sports are to Buffalo like the Syracuse Chiefs are to Syracuse..

Because of the MORONIC stadium placement...either teams or programs could be having a year that deserves the national spotlight or atleast home town attention...

However because the games aren't downtown, or in ABS's case just placed in the worst place possible off Hiawatha near Carousel... no one cares.

Actually, nobody cares because the Chiefs just flat out suck. Stadium placement has nothing to do with it.

Actually, nobody cares because the Chiefs just flat out suck. Stadium placement has nothing to do with it.
They've featured all pros like Bryce Harper, Strasburgh, Delgado, Rios, Wells, Halladay etc. They've also hosted Becket, Buckholtz, Rivera, Clemens ...the list goes on.

When you can't fill half the house for those guys, especially in a beautiful park like Alliance Bank, then good or bad no one cares.

It's really sad. Sometimes fan support is all it takes. Syracuse University benefits greatly from the undying local support.

No there are 4 university centers, in alpha order, Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook.

Albany is the least regarded academically, but is in the capitol district where the power resides. Binghamton is the highest academically rated in terms of undergraduate programs but is not well regarded in terms graduate research and has the least amount of power basically being the red-headed stepchild of the four while Buffalo and Stony Brook reside in the two largest population areas of the state are the closest in terms of meeting the flagship designation fans from other states are used to albeit in a state where the privates still have too much power to give much meaning to being THE flagship university.

Cheers,
Neil

This looks like a classic case of "Who gets to wear the crown?" to call themselves New York State. There is a chancellor of the entire SUNY system. Wouldn't they be able to make that determination? I think Cornell is actually New York's land grant college, and NYU has the flagship name. So they are going to argue over who gets to be New York State?

How are athletics funded at the different SUNY schools? Does Buffalo have the capacity to stand out? Stony Brook would have to make the transition to FBS. Their stadium is still a bit small for that.

And speaking of NYU, why do the Violets not play sports at the highest level? They are certainly big enough, and they aren't an Ivy. They could play their football games a Yankee Stadium.

Whaaaaaa......

Are you even a hockey fan? The Sabres are one of the great fanbases of the NHL.

... have you been to Buffalo?

Lets be honest here, I went to UB the past 4 years and I have absolutely met more SU fans (more so for basketball) than UB fans. The school does a terrible job of promoting sports. I am a sport junkie and maybe went to 6 football games and never made a basketball game in my 4 years. The student population doesn't give a crap about the teams. When SU played there my senior year of high school I believe the crowd was at least 50-50 if there wasn't more Cuse fans.

Lets be honest here, I went to UB the past 4 years and I have absolutely met more SU fans (more so for basketball) than UB fans. The school does a terrible job of promoting sports. I am a sport junkie and maybe went to 6 football games and never made a basketball game in my 4 years. The student population doesn't give a crap about the teams. When SU played there my senior year of high school I believe the crowd was at least 50-50 if there wasn't more Cuse fans.

Well I'm trying to argue that because of money, demographics, geography and the fanbase that is ripe for the picking...with the right advertising UB could become...here's my comparison, what USF is to the University of Miami.

UB foreseeably will not be on SU's level...however it's possible that in the future they will become relevant as a competitive local in state school...more so than Cornall or Colgate.

That is what I'm trying to say.

Also lets be honest, Syracuse could play a basketball game in Greensborough and the fans would be 50/50 if the tickets were up for grabs.

This thread is like watching 12 Angry Men. A couple thousand more posts and we're all going to find ourselves donating to UB's IPF.

This thread is like watching 12 Angry Men. A couple thousand more posts and we're all going to find ourselves donating to UB's IPF.
You're adding to it Chip... Oh wait.

Are you even a hockey fan? The Sabres are one of the great fanbases of the NHL.

... have you been to Buffalo?

Hockey fan? Yes.

Been to Buffalo? Yes.

One of the great NHL fanbases? I'd say a good NHL fanbase, not great.

Football.

My genius has been exposed.

Also @All4SU

This year UB did not have 1 home game where it was above 45 degrees out. I can attest to this because I went to every game.

We are not the Packers, nor the Bills etc. Syracuse, argue this or not, is somewhat blessed to have the dome. I hate gong back to the Grob era but...

How many people do you think would attend Cuse games in an outdoor stadium when its 40 and raining or 30 and snowing whilst the Orange were in the midst of one of there...less than admirable...seasons of the early 2000s?

UB's fanbase will come along. UB is a younger program than Syracuse. These things take time.

Hockey fan? Yes.

Been to Buffalo? Yes.

One of the great NHL fanbases? I'd say a good NHL fanbase, not great.

Well as a Rangers fan whose gone to Sabres games all his life, I will agree to disagree.

Well I'm trying to argue that because of money, demographics, geography and the fanbase that is ripe for the picking...with the right advertising UB could become...here's my comparison, what USF is to the University of Miami.

UB foreseeably will not be on SU's level...however it's possible that in the future they will become relevant as a competitive local in state school...more so than Cornall or Colgate.

That is what I'm trying to say.

Also lets be honest, Syracuse could play a basketball game in Greensborough and the fans would be 50/50 if the tickets were up for grabs.

I was talking about the football game, not a basketball game. However I could see it progressing to a formidable foe if they did get more money. Did what Rutgers did with there funding through the state but i dont see that flying in NY.

This looks like a classic case of "Who gets to wear the crown?" to call themselves New York State. There is a chancellor of the entire SUNY system. Wouldn't they be able to make that determination? I think Cornell is actually New York's land grant college, and NYU has the flagship name. So they are going to argue over who gets to be New York State?

Cornell is indeed the state's land grant institution.

And while the Chancellor can make a recommendation that a particular school become the flagship university, the final say will come from the BOTs which are all appointed by a governor and approved through the state legislature process. So they will be wary of the politics involved with such a move.

Of the current 16 BOT members (minus the student trustee), 8 of them have all of their education from private colleges. three a mixture of private/public, and 5 public only. Of the latter 5, 3 are only SUNY schools. Of the 8 from solely private education backgrounds, 3 of them are from NY private schools only.

The two schools that would have the best chance of being designated as THE flagship university of NY, imho, are UB and SB.

UB, though founded in 1846, was a private college until the early 60s when they were bought out by the SUNY system. SB was founded in 1957 as a SUNY university although then called State University College on Long Island.

There simply is not enough vested into either to make the state as a whole rally around any SUNY school in the same manner as the Michigans, Ohio States, etc.

How are athletics funded at the different SUNY schools? Does Buffalo have the capacity to stand out? Stony Brook would have to make the transition to FBS. Their stadium is still a bit small for that.

And speaking of NYU, why do the Violets not play sports at the highest level? They are certainly big enough, and they aren't an Ivy. They could play their football games a Yankee Stadium.

The SUNY schools are poorly funded by the state in terms of athletic monies. As for your final question, I don't have an answer, but I'm certainly glad they never did.

Cheers,
Neil

Well as a Rangers fan whose gone to Sabres games all his life, I will agree to disagree.

At the very least, I'd put Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh and Detroit ahead of Buffalo. That's just the NHL. If I were to include NFL, MLB, NBA, colleges and European teams, the Sabres fanbase wouldn't crack the top 100. (You originally said all of sports)

The ignorance on this board is just astounding. I cannot believe all of the suggestions that UB has never won anything. UB won the MAC football championship in 2008, has won a regular season championship in men's basketball and countless championships in minor sports and the baseball team just had its best season ever.

You cannot seriously compare basketball in the America East and the MAC. Akron was ranked for much of last year. Two years ago Ohio went to the Sweet Sixteen and took North Carolina to overtime in the regional semifinals. You know when the America East last won a (non play-in) NCAA Tournament game? Hint: It was also Craig Forth's and Hakim Warrick's last game. America East is a garbage conference. They just replaced Boston U. with a school straight out of Division II because they couldn't find any D-I schools that would want to join it because it's the bottom of the Division I barrel.

The ignorance on this board is just astounding. I cannot believe all of the suggestions that UB has never won anything. UB won the MAC football championship in 2008, has won a regular season championship in men's basketball and countless championships in minor sports and the baseball team just had its best season ever.

You cannot seriously compare basketball in the America East and the MAC. Akron was ranked for much of last year. Two years ago Ohio went to the Sweet Sixteen and took North Carolina to overtime in the regional semifinals. You know when the America East last won a (non play-in) NCAA Tournament game? Hint: It was also Craig Forth's and Hakim Warrick's last game. America East is a garbage conference. They just replaced Boston U. with a school straight out of Division II because they couldn't find any D-I schools that would want to join it because it's the bottom of the Division I barrel.

You do realize you're on the board of a fan base that just went to 4 Final Fours in the last athletic year, right? Excuse those of us who don't consider a MAC football title in 2008 as a great accomplishment. And why are we talking about UB sports again?

And if there were ever going to be a "flagship" NY state public school, my vote would be Stony Brook. They'll be an FBS school in no time, they just went to the College World Series last year, and they play some pretty good lax too at times going to the NCAA tourney. Buffalo has done nothing of the sort.

Such a combative defensive attitude going on here. I am not attacking Syracuse. I'm just stating facts. It's not impossible.

We all know that the MAC teams are more than capable of competing with us. I'd go as far to say that NIU and maybe even Kent St. would have given us runs for our money or even beaten us in football last year.

As far as UB's football competition goes?

They played 7 bowl eligible teams last year. NIU who played FSU and Georgia who competed for the NAtional Championship and SEC championship all year long (though they did not attain either of those goals.).

You do realize you're on the board of a fan base that just went to 4 Final Fours in the last athletic year, right? Excuse those of us who don't consider a MAC football title in 2008 as a great accomplishment. And why are we talking about UB sports again?

And if there were ever going to be a "flagship" NY state public school, my vote would be Stony Brook. They'll be an FBS school in no time, they just went to the College World Series last year, and they play some pretty good lax too at times going to the NCAA tourney. Buffalo has done nothing of the sort.

Best of luck to Stony Brook football and basketball? if either play UB. It won't be close. You should try actually watching either team if you think it would be.

Also did you even bother to read the first half of zibby's post?

Congrats on the College World Series appearance... appearance.

UB has won season championships in the MAC in several sports and has appeared in Bowl games. Just as, if not more impressive.

Best of luck to Stony Brook football and basketball? if either play UB. It won't be close. You should try actually watching either team if you think it would be.

Also did you even bother to read the first half of zibby's post?

Congrats on the College World Series appearance... appearance.

UB has won season championships in the MAC in several sports and has appeared in Bowl games. Just as, if not more impressive.

Stony Brook football last year would've beaten UB by 3 TDs. No joke. They did win an FBS road game by 3 TDs after all (@ Army). And do some research on what a College World Series appearance means. They didn't make it to the NCAA Tournament, they made it to the College World Series (the equivalent to an Elite 8 in bball). UB has done nothing even remotely close. Those are facts.

And as for your dream that UB sports would even be in the same hemisphere as Syracuse athletics, that gulf is only going to widen with the new revenue streams of the Big 5 football conferences. You need to focus on UB playing well in a mid major type league like the MAC instead of making pie-in-the-sky comparisons with a top 20 college athletics brand name like Syracuse. Its not going to happen in any of our life times.

Stony Brook football last year would've beaten UB by 3 TDs. No joke. They did win an FBS road game by 3 TDs after all (@ Army). And do some research on what a College World Series appearance means. They didn't make it to the NCAA Tournament, they made it to the College World Series (the equivalent to an Elite 8 in bball). UB has done nothing even remotely close. Those are facts.

And as for your dream that UB sports would even be in the same hemisphere as Syracuse athletics, that gulf is only going to widen with the new revenue streams of the Big 5 football conferences. You need to focus on UB playing well in a mid major type league like the MAC instead of making pie-in-the-sky comparisons with a top 20 college athletics brand name like Syracuse. Its not going to happen in any of our life times.

How about you take a deep breath and calm down. In no way was I making this personal. Never did I state it as my dream... I'm not even a UB first fan for christ sakes.

Also saying that Stony Brook would beat Buffalo by 3 touchdowns? The only teams to do that were NIU and Georgia. . .

For any of you that didn't know, Georgia went to the Capital One Bowl and beat Number 16 Nebraska and NIU went to the Orange Bowl and lost to FSU.

So before you make another baseless, fact-less, outlandish statement at least do some research. Thank you.

Your 2008 miracle UB team would've had a losing record in the BE..GRob might have even beaten that team despite being horrible on the sidelines. Remember that '08 team beat ND away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom