UB rebranding itself as "New York" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UB rebranding itself as "New York"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's the first time in my life I have heard the term "embarrassing win." Kind of a weak argument if you're main point is that Syracuse "embarrassingly" won against UB during the reign of Mr. Grob.

I have heard folks from other northeastern states say almost the same exact thing, regarding state flagship university designations. That many of the private schools in each state are much, much older, more established, and, considered more prestigious. And, therefore, more desired by students.

In terms of college athletics at the highest level in the northeast we are basically talking five states, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Connecticut.

In terms of private school power (regardless of athletics) within the state for the latter two it's Princeton then Rutgers and Yale then UConn. Since the Ivies made a conscious decision to step back on truly competing in college athletics at the highest level a long time ago, Rutgers and UConn became northeastern equivalents of flagship universities, although in areas where pro sports still rule over college sports.

In Pennsylvania it's three privates in terms of academics Penn, Carnegie Mellon, and Lehigh and two quasi-publics PSU and Pitt. Again, similar to New Jersey and Connecticut although expanded out to 5 colleges rather than simply two.

Only in New York and Massachusetts do private schools dominate the academic scene to a much greater extent. In Massachusetts it's Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Tufts, Boston College, and Brandeis before UMass. And in New York it's Columbia, Cornell, NYU, University of Rochester, and Syracuse before any of the SUNYs. And when the Ivies stepped back from college athletics at the highest level Boston College and Syracuse were the ones that came to the forefront.

Would it be impossible for either UMass or UB/SB to overtake BC and SU respectively as the college athletics standard bearer in their respective states? No, but the chances of it happening are virtually nil. Especially with the divide that currently exists in college athletics now.

Cheers,
Neil

When DOCTOR Gross started the whole "New York's college team" thing, everyone assumed it was a shot at Buttgers, but I wondered if he was also looking to the west. It seemed to start right after UB football won the MAC championship.

Anyways...There's been lots of talk that UB is going to change its branding (just for athletics) to "New York" and it appears it's now more than just talk.

Here's the new basketball court and what's being printed on new department stationery:

BLJodXlCQAA1PuE.jpg:large

BLJ9WdxCYAAVFtV.jpg:large

I'm all for it, but I'm biased because I'm a UB alum and a WNY native (I'm also an SU alum). UB is the biggest and best of the SUNYs and could be a Big Ten-quality university if SUNY and the little brothers would get out of its way.
Geneseo in binghamton say "Whatchu talking about, Willis"?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Central Michigan 2-1 in bowls since 2008

Michigan 1-2

History gets you so far.

Yes, you got me. CMU's record of 2-1 against Florida Atlantic (L), Troy (W), and Western Kentucky (W) since 2008 is far superior to Michigan's 2-2 record during that same time against Florida (W), Mississipi State (L), Virginia Tech (W), & South Carolina (L).

BTW - UB is 1-31 against BCS opponents. Their lone win...against Rutgers. Additionally, UB is 0-1 in Bowl games having lost to UConn.

I don't have anything against UB but the thought of them eroding Cuse stature as the top intercollegiate athletics program in NYS is hard to imagine in my opinion.

Ahem! The Mighty Oaks of SUNY College of Forestry at Syracuse have won a few Woodsmen's trophies in their day.
Just sayin'.

They will never even be #1 in their home city.

Yes, you got me. CMU's record of 2-1 against Florida Atlantic (L), Troy (W), and Western Kentucky (W) since 2008 is far superior to Michigan's 2-2 record during that same time against Florida (W), Mississipi State (L), Virginia Tech (W), & South Carolina (L).

BTW - UB is 1-31 against BCS opponents. Their lone win...against Rutgers. Additionally, UB is 0-1 in Bowl games having lost to UConn.

I don't have anything against UB but the thought of them eroding Cuse stature as the top intercollegiate athletics program in NYS is hard to imagine in my opinion.
1-31 against bcs opponents (formerly division 1) is simply wrong

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I really hope that UB fan reads this post.

And may I add, UB went 3 - 8 last year against the #99 ranked schedule. That's #99 folks.

You do realize UB has about 30,000 students don't you? Most people in NY know a graduate of the school. Although I agree, this NY university thing will never work.

They can call the school whatever they want, but until the average person has a lot of friends and family members that went to Buffalo, they aren't getting anywhere with this plan.

In terms of college athletics at the highest level in the northeast we are basically talking five states, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Connecticut.

In terms of private school power (regardless of athletics) within the state for the latter two it's Princeton then Rutgers and Yale then UConn. Since the Ivies made a conscious decision to step back on truly competing in college athletics at the highest level a long time ago, Rutgers and UConn became northeastern equivalents of flagship universities, although in areas where pro sports still rule over college sports.

In Pennsylvania it's three privates in terms of academics Penn, Carnegie Mellon, and Lehigh and two quasi-publics PSU and Pitt. Again, similar to New Jersey and Connecticut although expanded out to 5 colleges rather than simply two.

Only in New York and Massachusetts do private schools dominate the academic scene to a much greater extent. In Massachusetts it's Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Tufts, Boston College, and Brandeis before UMass. And in New York it's Columbia, Cornell, NYU, University of Rochester, and Syracuse before any of the SUNYs. And when the Ivies stepped back from college athletics at the highest level Boston College and Syracuse were the ones that came to the forefront.

Would it be impossible for either UMass or UB/SB to overtake BC and SU respectively as the college athletics standard bearer in their respective states? No, but the chances of it happening are virtually nil. Especially with the divide that currently exists in college athletics now.

Cheers,
Neil

I noticed you forgot Hamilton.

That is all.

They will never even be #1 in their home city.

Amen. From Buffalo, have many many friends that have went to UB. I respect their academics and especially their law and med schools. I don't have a bad word to say about UB, except the main campus should have been in the city and not in Amherst. I think the hoops program will be a dominate program in the MAC in the next couples of years. Hurley was a good hire.

As for football, their only hope is the AAC comes calling in the next ten years and they can get in on the HOPEFUL plans for a Bills new stadium downtown. They could be legit competitors for fans then.

However, as it sits today, no one in Buffalo cares about UB sports, even the students. SU is by far more popular, mostly hoops however. More than that, the Bills and Sabres dominate life. There is no opening for a average mid-major like UB.

UB is a solid school but nowhere near in the same league in terms of athletics as Syracuse. They could be somewhat relevant in the future but that is far away.

UB isn't even the favorite in Buffalo?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were twice as many UB graduates in NY even NYC than there are SU grads. UB is twice the size of SU.

UB's mistake was it's campus placement alongside its athletic fields. UB would be a much more successful athletic program if there football field was downtown or shared with the Bills and there basketball court (though the atmosphere is INCREDIBLE in alumni arena) closer to downtown or at least on south campus.

As long as UB gets players like McRea and Oliver...I see nothing but upside. Maybe we'll never catch up to SU but UB may someday escape the MAC and become relevant. They have the student body, academics and local support to do it. We just need a commitment from the school.

UB doesn't lack local support...there football stadium is placed nearly 20 minutes or so from downtown, where many use the metro which only extends to south campus (uni station). There basketball stadium is also here.

If the field and arena were by the Medical campus...they'd be able to pack house every once in a while.

Just don't put UB in the same category athletically as Stony Brook, Albany, Binghamton etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were twice as many UB graduates in NY even NYC than there are SU grads. UB is twice the size of SU.

UB's mistake was it's campus placement alongside its athletic fields. UB would be a much more successful athletic program if there football field was downtown or shared with the Bills and there basketball court (though the atmosphere is INCREDIBLE in alumni arena) closer to downtown or at least on south campus.

As long as UB gets players like McRea and Oliver...I see nothing but upside. Maybe we'll never catch up to SU but UB may someday escape the MAC and become relevant. They have the student body, academics and local support to do it. We just need a commitment from the school.

UB doesn't lack local support...there football stadium is placed nearly 20 minutes or so from downtown, where many use the metro which only extends to south campus (uni station). There basketball stadium is also here.

If the field and arena were by the Medical campus...they'd be able to pack house every once in a while.

Just don't put UB in the same category athletically as Stony Brook, Albany, Binghamton etc.

Dude, I live a stone's throw from NYC and I've never met a UB fan/alum. In fact, you're probably the closest person I know to a UB fan and I have no idea who you are. You severely underestimate SU's influence.

Dude, I live a stone's throw from NYC and I've never met a UB fan/alum. In fact, you're probably the closest person I know to a UB fan and I have no idea who you are. You severely underestimate SU's influence.

You severely underestimate UB's. There's millions of people north of NYC you know. Also being a student at UB I know theres THOUSANDS of kids from Harlem, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Long Beach, Long Island, The Bronx etc.

Of course UB doesn't have as much athletic influence as SU it hasn't been division 1 for half as long as SU. I'm just saying UB is a athletic school in building. They have all it takes to be a team in the new big east, A 10, etc. within the next 5 years.

You severely underestimate UB's. There's millions of people north of NYC you know. Also being a student at UB I know theres THOUSANDS of kids from Harlem, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Long Beach, Long Island, The Bronx etc.

Of course UB doesn't have as much athletic influence as SU it hasn't been division 1 for half as long as SU. I'm just saying UB is a athletic school in building. They have all it takes to be a team in the new big east, A 10, etc. within the next 5 years.
I live in syracuse and can think of maybe 2 UB grads. This may be the worst argument I have ever seen

UB will always be second fiddle to the Bills in Buffalo...and then the Sabres. Almost no one cares about UB in Buffalo. Outside of Buffalo, NO ONE cares.

I live in syracuse and can think of maybe 2 UB grads. This may be the worst argument I have ever seen
I live in Fayetteville Manlius and have 15 of my fellow highschool classmates from my grade alone going to UB with me. I know several in the class above me from FM, as well as over 20 kids from Caz, JD, CNS, Liverpool, B ville, Clay etc in my class alone...

I don't know where you live, but I'm assuming you are SIGNIFICANTLY older than me.

I live in Fayetteville Manlius and have 15 of my fellow highschool classmates from my grade alone going to UB with me. I know several in the class above me from FM, as well as over 20 kids from Caz, JD, CNS, Liverpool, B ville, Clay etc in my class alone...

I don't know where you live, but I'm assuming you are SIGNIFICANTLY older than me.

I guarantee you I am significantly older than you. And wiser too. My son attended UB. I went to one game there. No one cared.

You do realize that the entire eastern half of the state including the state's capital and NYC could give 2 shits about anything to do with Buffalo?

This isn't just about what has or has not been done on the field. Geographically UB has a better chance of being Ontario's college team.

This is pathetic if it's true.

In my opinion New York State should be cut in half above albany. Some downstate people (NYC mainly) are just pitifully ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom