UCF - Your 2017 National Champions!!!! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UCF - Your 2017 National Champions!!!!

I don't know why everyone is so mad at them. If we had beaten Auburn in the Sugar Bowl in '87, wouldn't we have done the same thing?

I don't know why everyone is so mad at them. If we had beaten Auburn in the Sugar Bowl in '87, wouldn't we have done the same thing?

We may have verbally made the argument that we deserved the championship before the poll voting, but I highly doubt we would have pretended something happened that didn't after all was said and done.

Last edited:

I’m not mad at them (who has the time), but I do laugh at them.

If one of the polls in 1987 put us at #1, then sure. But Miami and Oklahoma we’re undefeated when they played. Our season was special, just no room left at the very top.

I find it amusing, but so be it. The pseudo national championship came is just as amusing. The 4 teams are "subjectively" voted in, so it's not a true playoff, so who's truly to say? Imagine if 'subjective' voters got to pick 4 NFL teams they thought were the best vs. actually playing the games to decide who would be in the conference championships, prior to the Super Bowl. FCS has a much more honorable playoff format and champion for that matter, the 4 game playoff is still a joke, just 1/2 less than the BCS b/s that preceded it. UCF beat Auburn, the same Auburn team that beat both the teams ('Bama & Georgia) that played in the relatively predetermined game that crowned the pseudo champion. UCF went undefeated. Who knows what may have happened? Sure, it may have been unlikely for UCF to win, but upsets happen, and rather routinely at that, and is why you play the game.

Last edited:
I find it amusing, but so be it. The pseudo national championship came is just as amusing. The 4 teams are "subjectively" voted in, so it's not a true playoff, so who's truly to say? Imagine if 'subjective' voters got to pick 4 NFL teams they thought were the best vs. actually playing the games to decide who would be in the conference championships, prior to the Super Bowl. FBS has a much more honorable playoff format and champion for that matter, the 4 game playoff is still a joke, just 1/2 less than the BCS b/s that preceded it. UCF beat Auburn, the same Auburn team that beat both the teams ('Bama & Georgia) that played in the relatively predetermined game that crowned the pseudo champion. UCF went undefeated. Who knows what may have happened? Sure, it may have been unlikely for UCF to win, but upsets happen, and rather routinely at that, and is why you play the game.

I like anything that jabs at a still-inadequate system.

The obvious way to do this is an 8 team playoff with auto bids to the two power conference champs and the best non-power conference team, (UCF in this instance) and two at large teams. Until we get that, put the banners up!

I’m not mad at them (who has the time), but I do laugh at them.

If one of the polls in 1987 put us at #1, then sure. But Miami and Oklahoma we’re undefeated when they played. Our season was special, just no room left at the very top.
If only there was a 4-team playoff back then...

FBS has a much more honorable playoff format and champion for that matter, the 4 game playoff is still a joke, just 1/2 less than the BCS b/s that preceded it.
You say “FBS” but you mean “FCS”. ;)

I find it amusing, but so be it. The pseudo national championship came is just as amusing. The 4 teams are "subjectively" voted in, so it's not a true playoff, so who's truly to say? Imagine if 'subjective' voters got to pick 4 NFL teams they thought were the best vs. actually playing the games to decide who would be in the conference championships, prior to the Super Bowl. FCS has a much more honorable playoff format and champion for that matter, the 4 game playoff is still a joke, just 1/2 less than the BCS b/s that preceded it. UCF beat Auburn, the same Auburn team that beat both the teams ('Bama & Georgia) that played in the relatively predetermined game that crowned the pseudo champion. UCF went undefeated. Who knows what may have happened? Sure, it may have been unlikely for UCF to win, but upsets happen, and rather routinely at that, and is why you play the game.

Yeah, subjective inclusion in a playoff is BS!

Sincerely,

2003 Syracuse basketball

;)

It would have been embarrassing for us if we did.

We absolutely should have hung a “perfect season 12-0” banner in 1987 if we had won, but we weren’t worthy of playing for a national title based on our weak schedule just like UCF in 2017.

It would have been embarrassing for us if we did.

We absolutely should have hung a “perfect season 12-0” banner in 1987 if we had won, but we weren’t worthy of playing for a national title based on our weak schedule just like UCF in 2017.

And yet we would have been in a 4 team playoff if there was one.

Most years Syracuse plays the hardest schedule in the country being stuck in the stupid ass Coastal and never playing our Big East rivals VT and Miami.

If we ever run the table and but get left out of the playoffs and don't blow the bowl game we better raise a dang banner. IDGAF who our non conference and lone crossover ACC foes were. If this happens its because we are being punished for not being ranked highly preseason like UCF was. It could happen but the big dogs in the Coastal would likely have to be down and having bad years which the voters would crucify us for and the 4 non conference games would have to be soft.

I mean lets say we win @ Clemson again and beat FSU and are 6-0 at the bye this year. Do we get in if we win our last 6? Its not a certainty especially if Clemson, ND, and FSU end up with 4+ losses.

The voters did conspire to make sure UCF was ranked so low they couldn't move up and get in if other teams ahead of them lost. You don't have to put them in the playoffs I wouldn't have put them in the playoffs but at least show them the respect of being left out as the 5th/6th best team.

And yet we would have been in a 4 team playoff if there was one.

Would we have been a lock?

Oklahoma and Miami were unquestionably in at 11-0 against harder schedules. And then there was us, FSU and Nebraska. I feel like our schedule would have meticulously scrutinized compared to those other teams.

Would we have been a lock?

Oklahoma and Miami were unquestionably in at 11-0 against harder schedules. And then there was us, FSU and Nebraska. I feel like our schedule would have meticulously scrutinized compared to those other teams.

I know the rankings are not the committee but we were ranked 4th and Nebraska was ranked 5th going into the bowls that year. They already had Oklahoma in from the Big 8. In 1999 11-0 Virginia Tech played in the title game while 11-1 Nebraska watched on TV. The Hokie's schedule wasn't any better than ours was in '87. They like undefeated teams.

Most years Syracuse plays the hardest schedule in the country being stuck in the stupid ass Coastal and never playing our Big East rivals VT and Miami.

If we ever run the table and but get left out of the playoffs and don't blow the bowl game we better raise a dang banner. IDGAF who our non conference and lone crossover ACC foes were. If this happens its because we are being punished for not being ranked highly preseason like UCF was. It could happen but the big dogs in the Coastal would likely have to be down and having bad years which the voters would crucify us for and the 4 non conference games would have to be soft.

I mean lets say we win @ Clemson again and beat FSU and are 6-0 at the bye this year. Do we get in if we win our last 6? Its not a certainty especially if Clemson, ND, and FSU end up with 4+ losses.

The voters did conspire to make sure UCF was ranked so low they couldn't move up and get in if other teams ahead of them lost. You don't have to put them in the playoffs I wouldn't have put them in the playoffs but at least show them the respect of being left out as the 5th/6th best team.
If Syracuse goes 12-0 in the Atlantic Division and wins the ACC they are absolutely getting in the playoff without question.

Not sure why people are in an uproar about UCF claiming the 2017 National Championship when Alabama has numerous that they made up.

-We have never played the hardest schedule in the country. This year our schedule was 8th -- most other years its in the 30s or 40s.
-An undefeated ACC Champion is lock city to make the playoff. Even a 1-loss ACC champ is probably going to be fine.
-There was no conspiracy against UCF. They played the 72nd toughest SOS and had zero Sagarin Top 30 wins in the regular season. They simply didn't have a playoff resume despite being a very good team.

Last edited:
Add another playoff tier(or 2), and avoid this foolishness. Real playoffs could be more lucrative than March madness.

Last edited:
Not sure why people are in an uproar about UCF claiming the 2017 National Championship when Alabama has numerous that they made up.

This is literally the ONLY THING that Rutgers and 'Bama football have in common.
:p

Add another playoff tier(or 2), and avoid this foolishness. Real playoffs could be more lucrative than March madness.

And if UCF's banner brings that day a little closer, it's a good thing.

You could make a valid argument that CFB has a more "real" playoff than CBB. In the sense that you can't be mediocre all year and just get hot for a few weeks in college football. You have to bring your A game against high-level competition the entire season. March Madness is incredibly entertaining, but it's a very fluky way to determine a champion.

Different situations. Syracuse has won a mythical national championship, and even in 1987 would have felt like they had a legitimate shot at getting a chance at a championship game in the future. Based on how things played out last year, UCF knows there is absolutely no chance that a non-power conference team is getting a bid (anyone dreaming up ways it can happen is either delusional or lying to defend status quo). UCF has nothing to lose in poking fun at a system that excludes them; even in 1987 Syracuse felt like part of “the system”.

You could make a valid argument that CFB has a more "real" playoff than CBB. In the sense that you can't be mediocre all year and just get hot for a few weeks in college football. You have to bring your A game against high-level competition the entire season. March Madness is incredibly entertaining, but it's a very fluky way to determine a champion.

I’ll take the side that both suck, although for vastly different reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom