UCF - Your 2017 National Champions!!!! | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UCF - Your 2017 National Champions!!!!

-We have never played the hardest schedule in the country. This year our schedule was 8th -- most other years its in the 30s or 40s.
-An undefeated ACC Champion is lock city to make the playoff. Even a 1-loss ACC champ is probably going to be fine.
-There was no conspiracy against UCF. They played the 72nd toughest SOS and had zero Sagarin Top 30 wins in the regular season. They simply didn't have a playoff resume despite being a very good team.

I don't disagree.

Im just saying assume we start 6-0. That means we have beaten Clemson and FSU. Of course we get some respect.

But is it a lock that no 5-1 or 6-1 teams are ranked higher than us? Its likely since the 6-1 team started ranked top 5 while we started ranked in the 50s and took a few weeks to just crack the polls.

That is the point I'm making. I think we'd get in if we were undefeated but if we have a miracle ACC championship season and get to the title game with 1 loss and beat the Atlantic team we probably are left out simply because we started the year unranked and a preseason top 5 has to lose 3+ times to slip below us. You can only jump teams in the ranking if they lose or you knock off an undefeated.

You could make a valid argument that CFB has a more "real" playoff than CBB. In the sense that you can't be mediocre all year and just get hot for a few weeks in college football. You have to bring your A game against high-level competition the entire season. March Madness is incredibly entertaining, but it's a very fluky way to determine a champion.
Sure, MM may be fluky. I said more lucrative.
If the top 8?, Or even 12(with 4 byes), had a playoff, each team would have been good, all year. Instead of watching random bowl games, I'd be far more interested if they were playoffs. Don't think I'd be alone on that.

While I disagree with self proclaimed championships, I agree with their larger point, that they should have had a chance.

You could make a valid argument that CFB has a more "real" playoff than CBB. In the sense that you can't be mediocre all year and just get hot for a few weeks in college football. You have to bring your A game against high-level competition the entire season. March Madness is incredibly entertaining, but it's a very fluky way to determine a champion.

The CFP is anemic. March Madness is bloated.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the point is - as you have indicated - that the calculus is subjective.

It's supposed to be a play-off system but it really isn't.

Last year Ohio State was in the finals even though it lost to Penn State during the regular season. Penn State won the Big Ten Championship on the field and yet was not selected for the final play-off.

So, the system is subjective - it is not decided on the field.

My feeling is that since the system is subjective, the old system should be used - that way undefeated teams like UCF have a chance to win the NC and the players don't have to play 15 games - way too many for college kids.

Yes OSU went ahead of PSU ... and both of them lost their bowl games ... pretty obvious that whomever the 4th team was, was gonna lose. Didn't matter all that much honestly. Give UCF an ACC or SEC regular season schedule and I guarantee they don't run the table ... they beat a severely depleted Auburn team ... when Johnson got hurt against Alabama the Auburn season was pretty much over. UCF can chew on all the token victories they want ... they weren't even close to the best team in the country last year and this is just a joke. I get a kick out of the fact that they play one P5 caliber school a year and that satisfies people. Let them play the ACC Atlantic like we do every season and see how that works out for them. They would lose to Clemson ... they would lose to FSU most seasons (last year FSU was a mess) and have high a 50/50 shot against NC St and Louisville ..

Don't get me wrong they are a good football team but national champs ... seriously?

To paraphrase a post in another thread on amateurs being amatuers because they aren't paid.
UCF isn't the champion
Why?
Because they didn't play in our playoff
Why not?
They weren't invited
Why not?
We have never had a champion like them.

Why not?

Because they are not in the pool of teams from which we chose our champion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom