UConn cancels football season | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

True. The ACC wanted Syracuse to be a member for decades before it finally happened.

Back to UConn. I am kind of surprised UConn is giving up on football now, when it looks like there is a real chance ND might decide they like playing in a football conference and finally commit to playing in the ACC as a full member.

If UConn drops football, ND joins the ACC and someone, say WVU or Cincinnati. Is picked as the 16th (and final) member of the ACC shortly afterwards, can you imagine the outcry from UConn fans?

If ND does decide to become a full time member, I do not expect the ACC to pick a 16th member right away. There is no hurry. I think it would be prudent to wait a while and see how things develop in the B12 (which might implode when their GOR expires on June 30th 2025). At that point, Texas and West Virginia might be available. UCF. Cincinnati. Temple and the Navy/Georgetown hybrid option would all be looked at as well.

I think the admins at UConn are realizing now that even if the ACC added a 16th member, the chances UConn would be picked are very remote. Add in COVID and how much it is costing college athletic departments and it seems insane to continue to lost $30 million dollars a year in the hopes ND will join full time and UConn will get invited too.
I seriously doubt ND would want The pups as the 16th member.

Doug Marrone isn’t why the ACC liked us.

If they wanted football programs the ACC offers West Virginia/Louisville when they expanded the first time.

Syracuse was invited because they took their snub with class and brought a basketball program.

Football had very little to do with the first expansion that ticked off Clemson and Florida State and was why they pushed for Louisville over UConn when Maryland left.

i didn’t say it was a reason the acc took SU. Having credible football took a reason not to off the table. Pretty simple stuff.

They have a good ( DT ) named Travis Jones 6'4 336 ( JR ) from Conn. Wilbur Cross HS. started his FR/SO. for a total of 24 games he would be a nice portal pick up in my eyes we need a tank that can play check out his profile on the Uconn website.
Can we wait until we know the neighbor has passed away before we start going through their jewelry box?

Can we wait until we know the neighbor has passed away before we start going through their jewelry box?

A cat burglar reading this would think the world needs ditchdiggers too.

The reason I believe this rumor to be true is that UCONN doesn't have any future UMASS games scheduled. That seems off because as independents they both need games and both schools said they wanted to work together and have a yearly game. It would seem that UMASS caught wind of their intention because of their close proximity.

They have a decent DT. Travis Jones 6’4 336 JR. Strong, good athlete. I think he could help us.

We are on his recruiting profile, but appears we never offered.

Did have offers from BC, Rutgers. Also, UB and Temple.

Not sure how this works as there are probably tampering rules, but I assume if his name hits that transfer portal, it's open season to contact them?

Actually, I believe the pool guy pounded Lady Liberty. Jerry Junior was beating it.

What was the name of that contractor company? Pound It, Drill It, and Screw It?

Or listening to my wife complain about tracking in dirt on day the house was cleaned!
I hear you on that one man. After the cleaning is done, the missus expects me to hover above the floors for 24 hours...smh

What a stupid post.

We couldn't even beat Liberty at home this year and that was thought of as a gimme.

Good luck finding 4 automatic FBS wins that need to now be replaced.
^^^^^^^ALERT: storz st fan ALERT^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^ALERT: storz st fan ALERT^^^^^^^
The post ignores the fact we gave UConn a mid-major independent which needs 12 games scheduled each year an even series.

That is alone was just utter stupidity. We could find other tomato cans in regions we recruit those series.
We don’t need another game in the Northeast when we play at BC or Pitt every year beyond our home games.
UConn if we agreed to a series should have been a 3-2 or nothing.
That the series was 2-2 was just disgusting.

Interesting reading the "sure thing" mentality after the fact. I guess it's somewhat human nature in retrospect and/or hindsight. However, if I recall correctly, plenty on this board were nervous nellies relative to the "what if" scenerio if SU wasn't part of that next round of expansion. Regardless of the sentiment now, there was no absolute guarantee, probable, yes, but not certainty. The hush/silence of that 2011 invite was remarkable, however, what was just as remarkable IMO, was the sheer elation/emotion present here, which kind of speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Interesting reading the "sure thing" mentality after the fact. I guess it's somewhat human nature in retrospect and/or hindsight. However, if I recall correctly, plenty on this board were nervous nellies relative to the "what if" scenerio if SU wasn't part of that next round of expansion. Regardless of the sentiment now, there was no absolute guarantee, probable, yes, but not certainty. The hush/silence of that 2013 invite was remarkable, however, what was just as remarkable IMO, was the sheer elation/emotion present here, which kind of speaks for itself.
Once conferences moved off 12 being their stop point we were safe.

The Big XII melting down ensured that.

Nebraska and Colorado leaving the Big XII in 2010 ensured that conference’s downfall.
Texas is now the Jenga of the Big XII.
The own the other schools by their gonads.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State couldn’t get into the Pac-12 without Texas.

The ACC was 1 step ahead when they took VPI/Miami that ensured the Big East would eventually crumble.

We were safe as long as the Big Ten and ACC were expanding off 12.

The Big Ten was interested in Syracuse when they were expanding.
The ACC was as well. It was about $$$ and academics at that point.

West Virginia was the most successful football team at that point of expansion neither the Big Ten or ACC were interested in them.

The Big XII was their only way to avoid relegation.

Pitt/Syracuse/Rutgers had way more value than UConn.

USF was another FL mouth to feed.
Cincinnati and Louisville weren’t on the radar of the ACC.

We were safe once the expansion train took off.

Louisville, Utah, TCU earned their promotions.
UConn FB didn’t earn them a promotion because they were late to the game and the conference that made the most sense for them they screwed themselves by suing them and not being worth being forgiven for it.

Their have been many mistakes in expansion but the Big XII not grabbing Louisville and Cincinnati when they took WVU was a bad mistake.

It would have really forced the ACC to take UConn to replace Maryland and could have been the breaking point for Florida State and Clemson to go to the Big XII and destroy the ACC.

Cat burglar wouldn't discuss what he wanted to take before the job.
well some would

1605286679039.png

Once conferences moved off 12 being their stop point we were safe.

The Big XII melting down ensured that.

Nebraska and Colorado leaving the Big XII in 2010 ensured that conference’s downfall.
Texas is now the Jenga of the Big XII.
The own the other schools by their gonads.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State couldn’t get into the Pac-12 without Texas.

The ACC was 1 step ahead when they took VPI/Miami that ensured the Big East would eventually crumble.

We were safe as long as the Big Ten and ACC were expanding off 12.

The Big Ten was interested in Syracuse when they were expanding.
The ACC was as well. It was about $$$ and academics at that point.

West Virginia was the most successful football team at that point of expansion neither the Big Ten or ACC were interested in them.

The Big XII was their only way to avoid relegation.

Pitt/Syracuse/Rutgers had way more value than UConn.

USF was another FL mouth to feed.
Cincinnati and Louisville weren’t on the radar of the ACC.

We were safe once the expansion train took off.

Louisville, Utah, TCU earned their promotions.
UConn FB didn’t earn them a promotion because they were late to the game and the conference that made the most sense for them they screwed themselves by suing them and not being worth being forgiven for it.

I know that you have a lot of knowledge on this subject and followed it quite intently. And, I payed a lot of attention to those posts along with your other posts here as well...I am a big fan of yours.

That being said, I'm not debating what Syracuse could bring to the table, its attractiveness, etc. Only that it wasn't absolute, and the probable identical UConn status plight (of SU football) had the ACC not extend us that invite and gift of a lifetime.

I know that you have a lot of knowledge on this subject and followed it quite intently. And, I payed a lot of attention to those posts along with your other posts here as well...I am a big fan of yours.

That being said, I'm not debating what Syracuse could bring to the table, its attractiveness, etc. Only that it wasn't absolute, and the probable UConn status plight (of SU football) had the ACC not extend us that invite and gift of a lifetime.
Fair enough let’s say it was 95% likely once the conference expansion train started Syracuse was safe.

What could have killed us was not getting expansion when we did and money gap getting so large between the P5 and the Big East SU FB falls behind even more.
The money train actually helped us as that is what pushed the ACC to expand so they wouldn’t be plucked apart.

The ACC expanded to renegotiate with ESPN because they signed a bad deal once other conferences got paid.

The post ignores the fact we gave UConn a mid-major independent which needs 12 games scheduled each year an even series.

That is alone was just utter stupidity. We could find other tomato cans in regions we recruit those series.
We don’t need another game in the Northeast when we play at BC or Pitt every year beyond our home games.
UConn if we agreed to a series should have been a 3-2 or nothing.
That the series was 2-2 was just disgusting.
Pittsburgh is midwestern.

Their have been many mistakes in expansion but the Big XII not grabbing Louisville and Cincinnati when they took WVU was a bad mistake.

It would have really forced the ACC to take UConn to replace Maryland and could have been the breaking point for Florida State and Clemson to go to the Big XII and destroy the ACC.

If the choices are UCF and UConn, does FSU really balk at UCF?

If the choices are UCF and UConn, does FSU really balk at UCF?
UConn was the runner up to Louisville.
Which is why I said UConn.
Louisville had relationships with FSU and VPI from the old Metro conference.

That helped motivate FSU to push for Louisville. I am unaware where FSU stands on UCF they were against USF but not sure UCF.