UConn cancels football season | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

Boston College gets more people at their annual red bandanna game than UMass will have in their stands for 3 games in a normal year.

Literally nobody gives a chit about UMass football in New England.
UMass alumni barely know they have a program.
BC has some history. Doug Fluite miracle in Miami.
They aren’t relevant in Boston because Boston is a pro sports town.

If BC were really good they wouldn’t get attention on the radio but the stadium would be packed.
UMass will never have that opportunity EVER.

Boston College gets more people at their annual red bandanna game than UMass will have in their stands for 3 games in a normal year.

Literally nobody gives a chit about UMass football in New England.
UMass alumni barely know they have a program.
BC has some history. Doug Fluite miracle in Miami.
They aren’t relevant in Boston because Boston is a pro sports town.

If BC were really good they wouldn’t get attention on the radio but the stadium would be packed.
UMass will never have that opportunity EVER.
One thing is for sure with UCONN self-immoliating. UMASS should be able to pick up some of the better New England recruits that want to play close to home.

Maybe Syracuse could play UMASS at the Rent in a 3 game series. 2 at the new era Dome. It's not like I want to rub salt in the Huskies wounds or anything.
mind blown.jpg

Umass doesn't care about Umass football. CousCuse, you should head to Southwest dorms at Amherst with a sandwich board and try and recruit the frosh. They can call you Cous Quijote.

I wish Uconn well if it's truly the end of their football program. We may laugh, snicker and point but I hate seeing the likes of Northeastern, BU, and Uconn go away in football. I suspect Holy Cross and Colgate are on their last legs if this is thematic. The old eastern 1AA teams were where kids from my highschool went to play if they were incredible hockomock players (Ryan LaCasse was the exception).

Until the Boneyard starts discussing this post I refuse to believe that UCONN is giving up on their B1G dreams. Once that happens maybe the truth will become apparent.

It really doesn't matter what you "count". BC is an FBS team, whether you like it or not.

And they're a P5 team, besides. Something UMass will never be.
UMass would have to play a great game to stay within 50 of BC.

BC has beaten them 10 times in a row and won 22 of 27 games. UMass isn’t remotely close to as good a program as BC. In New England, you have BC, then New Hampshire. Yale, then Holy Cross, Maine, UMass, UConn, Harvard, Rhode Island and the directional Connecticuts.

As to the question of whether anyone on the UConn roster would be of interest, there are a few that might be worth looking at.

The best player they have is LT Ryan Ven Demark. 6’7 302 SR. Good player. Pretty sure he would start for us next year.

They have a decent DT. Travis Jones 6’4 336 JR. Strong, good athlete. I think he could help us.

Maybe Cam Ross. Ross is a 5’9 170 slot guy out of St Johns HS in DC. Played for Casamento. Only a sophomore. Good return guy. Led them in receptions as a frosh.

Slim pickings for sure.

As a UMass alum who does care about football and basketball can we keep them out of this and focus on hating UCONN. We’re somewhere in the middle of where Cous thinks we are and where everyone else here thinks we are.

Be nice... please :p

They are the only FBS team in New England. I don't count BC because never have and never will have any amount of real fans. K.
Really? How many people go to Boston College games and how many go to UMass games in a none covid year?

Really? How many people go to Boston College games and how many go to UMass games in a none covid year?
I bet that normal Umass attendance is closer to BC’s current attendance this year then their normal attendance :p

As a UMass alum who does care about football and basketball can we keep them out of this and focus on hating UCONN. We’re somewhere in the middle of where Cous thinks we are and where everyone else here thinks we are.

Nope. UCAN'T's demise is UMASS's gain! Fluck BC. So let it be written ...

Herm, if you're reading, seven game series with UMASS. 5 at the Dome, 1 in Amherst, 1 at the Rent! So let it be done.

Last edited:
I will say these rumors about UConn underscore how dumb we were when we gave them a 2-2 series in football.
You don’t give mid-majors 2-2 series.
It was dumb. We won’t have to pay a buyout if they cancel their program.

You went to UMass?

What in the name of Carmelo Travieso is going on around here?

I follow UMASS because I find it interesting to watch someone try to build football program. I was a "fan" of Boise when they were in the WAC. Temple, Tulane, Coastal, Liberty are all interesting builds and rebuilds to me. I also believe if there were more teams in the northeast and more competition, the high school programs would improve and that would help Syracuse. I do believe that UCONN going out of the football business is good for the Minutemen.

I think this is the most positive thing you've said about SU football since Shafer left.

Have we turned a corner?
Do you remember the complete beat downs of LAST year. I'm not talking about THIS year. You ask a lot of faith, but I think I like Gilbert so I'm relenting for the rest of this season.

You went to UMass?

What in the name of Carmelo Travieso is going on around here?
Oh yeah I’m a full blown honorary M. Was a wicked good time.

I still get chit about my meltdown during the 4th quarter of the 2018 Clemson game. My buddies didn’t know you were allowed to care about college sports that much

( WOW ) Was this his reaction when he found out he got the head coaching job at Maryland ?

No. That reaction was 'I need to find a different flight home from Phoenix so I never have to see any of these people ever again'

They got anybody good on the O-line?

Or maybe just anyone that plays O-line?
They have a good ( DT ) named Travis Jones 6'4 336 ( JR ) from Conn. Wilbur Cross HS. started his FR/SO. for a total of 24 games he would be a nice portal pick up in my eyes we need a tank that can play check out his profile on the Uconn website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom