UConn cancels football season | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

Boston College gets more people at their annual red bandanna game than UMass will have in their stands for 3 games in a normal year.

Literally nobody gives a chit about UMass football in New England.
UMass alumni barely know they have a program.
BC has some history. Doug Fluite miracle in Miami.
They aren’t relevant in Boston because Boston is a pro sports town.

If BC were really good they wouldn’t get attention on the radio but the stadium would be packed.
UMass will never have that opportunity EVER.
All true.

The only schools in northeastern states that can have 'successful' Major college football are BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Penn St, and possibly Rutgers.

UConn could be a solid 1AA/FCS program. It never belonged in a Major conference.
I have a buddy that played at uconn in the fcs days He always laughs at the idea of uconn being a d1 program.

Nope. UCAN'T's demise is UMASS's gain! Fluck BC. So let it be written ...

Herm, if you're reading, seven game series with UMASS. 5 at the Dome, 1 in Amherst, 1 at the Rent! So let it be done.
The Orange have 4 games scheduled with UCONN, sub UMASS. SU only plays 1 game every year outside of the Dome against BC, needs to be more.

All true.

The only schools in northeastern states that can have 'successful' Major college football are BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Penn St, and possibly Rutgers.
There are 55 million+ people in those states and only 5 teams, also Temple and UB. That is way out of skew. There are 6 teams in North Carolina alone.

They have a good ( DT ) named Travis Jones 6'4 336 ( JR ) from Conn. Wilbur Cross HS. started his FR/SO. for a total of 24 games he would be a nice portal pick up in my eyes we need a tank that can play check out his profile on the Uconn website.
Good find. We need help at DT also.

Carolina only has 1 NFL team.

The Northeast has 6 NFL teams in PA, NY/NJ, MA.

More people in the Northeast care about the NFL than college ball.
An old, old discussion here... but the reason the northeast doesn’t embrace college football as much as other parts of the country can be traced back to a specific era. When the NFL was taking off, college football in other parts of the country were organized and offered a clear, competitive product and the excitement of conference rivalries. . Meanwhile in the northeast you had a bunch of teams all doing their own thing as independents, stubbornly refusing to band together. (I’m looking at you, PSU.) As someone said above, couple that with the fact that the NFL offered a big time product in their own back yard - which you didn’t have in most of the south a southwest - and the northeast just fell far behind. It took the BE to try and get in on the game, but we were late, and it’s an up hill battle to compete for share of mind. It’s not impossible. There’s nothing intrinsic to people in the northeast that they won’t support CFB. They just didn’t grow up with it unless it’s your alma mater or the school is in your city. The exception being PSU who have the benefit of the statewide following. From day 1 we have needed an identity for northeast football. We still do. Being in the ACC doesn’t really solve that problem.

This could have been SU.

Thank god the brand was strong across multiple sports and football was credible at the time thanks to Marrone.

I completely agree with your first sentence. Actually, I'd go somewhat further and say it 'would've' vs. could've. We know (at least the ones that followed expansion closely) that brand, strong across multiple sports, etc. was an afterthought, and not the driving force of inclusion. It was the geographical market area and perceived/actual TV viewers that fueled it. Rutgers is a perfect example of this as they had a putrid history (for the most part) relative to football, which is what drove this, not the multiple sports and how strong that was, etc.

SU had been the laughing stock of football during the GRob era, combined with very limited funds to do much about it to compete and end its projected plight. Clearly, and somewhat miraculously, Marrone was able to stabilized the program, bringing us out of the abyss and doing so without any real commitment at that point from the university. However, in the much larger scope, that had hardly anything to do with the gracious invite.

I have stated this is the past and believe it wholeheartedly, that any fan of Syracuse sports, but specifically football, should be continuously thanking the lucky stars above along with being eternally grateful that the ACC gave us the gift of a lifetime.

I completely agree with your first sentence. Actually, I'd go somewhat further and say it 'would've' vs. could've. We know (at least the ones that followed expansion closely) that brand, strong across multiple sports, etc. was an afterthought, and not the driving force of inclusion. It was the geographical market area and perceived/actual TV viewers that fueled it. Rutgers is a perfect example of this as they had a putrid history (for the most part) relative to football, which is what drove this, not the multiple sports and how strong that was, etc.

SU had been the laughing stock of football during the GRob era, combined with very limited funds to do much about it to compete and end its projected plight. Clearly, and somewhat miraculously, Marrone was able to stabilized the program, bringing us out of the abyss and doing so without any real commitment at that point from the university. However, in the much larger scope, that had hardly anything to do with the gracious invite.

I have stated this is the past and believe it wholeheartedly, that any fan of Syracuse sports, but specifically football, should be continuously thanking the lucky stars above along with being eternally grateful that the ACC gave us the gift of a lifetime.
The ACC wanted us in 2003.
They appreciated we took our loss of an invite due to politics with class.
We fit the ACC private/public split.

UConn never played Division 1-A football till they assured they would be admited to a power conference.

They didn’t build their program into division 1 like Marshall/Boise State did.
They didn’t overcome being left behind like TCU was when the SWC split up.

UConn football got a golden ticket into a BCS league.

The conference realignments from 2009 onwards corrected the market.
UConn’s golden ticket was revoked.

Programs like Cincinnati and USF got demoted as well but they weren’t promised a power league when they played Division 1 football.

Syracuse was only going to become what UConn has if the ACC never expanded beyond 12.

We were always on good terms with them. David Glenn who is plugged in the ACC office said we were the 13th school and first pick when the ACC decided to expand. The ACC made overtures to Texas when they expanded and they weren’t interested. Pitt was chosen 14 because Florida State and Clemson didn’t want UConn and BC didn’t either. UNC and Duke wanted UConn.

Doug Marrone isn’t why the ACC liked us.

If they wanted football programs the ACC offers West Virginia/Louisville when they expanded the first time.

Syracuse was invited because they took their snub with class and brought a basketball program.

Football had very little to do with the first expansion that ticked off Clemson and Florida State and was why they pushed for Louisville over UConn when Maryland left.

If they wanted football programs the ACC offers West Virginia/Louisville when they expanded the first time.

Syracuse was invited because they took their snub with class and brought a basketball program.

Football had very little to do with the first expansion that ticked off Clemson and Florida State and was why they pushed for Louisville over UConn when Maryland left.
Dick Blumenthal sealed their fate.

I will say these rumors about UConn underscore how dumb we were when we gave them a 2-2 series in football.
You don’t give mid-majors 2-2 series.
It was dumb. We won’t have to pay a buyout if they cancel their program.
even dumber were the people here defending it.

thank the lord for covid, i had forgotten about that.

now hopefully we wont have to worry about that embarrassing series.

As a University, we're a better fit too. Always were. Louisville, not so much, but losing Maryland meant damage control vs strategy.

To the Marrone point though, I'd rather not have revisited all of that if they were adding Greg Robinson's Syracuse (hurts my fingers just to type that).

As a University, we're a better fit too. Always were. Louisville, not so much, but losing Maryland meant damage control vs strategy.

To the Marrone point though, I'd rather not have revisited all of that if they were adding Greg Robinson's Syracuse (hurts my fingers just to type that).
Greg Robinson’s Syracuse would have had no impact on the reasons why the ACC wanted us.

They need expansion to renegotiate their TV contract with ESPN. Our football program being mediocre vs. sucking had no impact on that. That comment is just the pro-Marrone guy finding another reason to try and make St. Doug more saintly and not reality as to why the ACC added us.

We were never close to becoming UConn unless the status quo post-2003 became permanent. Once the Big Ten, SEC, ACC were going to more than 12 we were safe.

Greg Robinson’s Syracuse would have had no impact on the reasons why the ACC wanted us.

They need expansion to renegotiate their TV contract with ESPN. Our football program being mediocre vs. sucking had no impact on that. That comment is just the pro-Marrone guy finding another reason to try and make St. Doug more saintly and not reality as to why the ACC added us.

We were never close to becoming UConn unless the status quo post-2003 became permanent. Once the Big Ten, SEC, ACC were going to more than 12 we were safe.
yeah, the history of Syracuse is too much for even grobbycakes to destroy.

any chair in the ACC was going to be ours, be it from subtraction of a school there who left...or expansion as we saw it happen.

Syracuse athletics, be it football, lacrosse and certainly hoop...carry a certain level of gravitas in NYC because of all the tv alumni watching.

Giants Stadium is too big for us, but if any of those games were played in most pro stadiums with their 60-70k capacity joints, it wouldve looked a whole lot different to the un-silent minority with suspicious and questionable eyes.

the powers that be were not leaving Syracuse out.

even dumber were the people here defending it.

thank the lord for covid, i had forgotten about that.

now hopefully we wont have to worry about that embarrassing series.

What a stupid post.

We couldn't even beat Liberty at home this year and that was thought of as a gimme.

Good luck finding 4 automatic FBS wins that need to now be replaced.

Got this from another board about UConn folding the football program. Unsubstantiated at the moment, but seems legit:

One of my former players is playing for the Huskies. I was speaking with his dad last night and he told me that with UConn's basketball team changing conferences that it essentially leaves the football program with nowhere to play.

He then said that while the school is not publicly saying anything yet, it is pretty much a done deal and there are a lot of players already planning their transfers come January. Including his son. He is upset because his son chose Uconn over other offers at Umass and Illinois in 2019 and it will now be harder to find a school where he will have a chance to play.

Well done Mr. Burton.

Just a reminder that the ACC pursued SU at the same time they pursued FSU. SU was on the ACC radar before TV deals were significant. UCONN was not getting into the ACC before SU, and thankfully will never be ACC.
True. The ACC wanted Syracuse to be a member for decades before it finally happened.

Back to UConn. I am kind of surprised UConn is giving up on football now, when it looks like there is a real chance ND might decide they like playing in a football conference and finally commit to playing in the ACC as a full member.

If UConn drops football, ND joins the ACC and someone, say WVU or Cincinnati. Is picked as the 16th (and final) member of the ACC shortly afterwards, can you imagine the outcry from UConn fans?

If ND does decide to become a full time member, I do not expect the ACC to pick a 16th member right away. There is no hurry. I think it would be prudent to wait a while and see how things develop in the B12 (which might implode when their GOR expires on June 30th 2025). At that point, Texas and West Virginia might be available. UCF. Cincinnati. Temple and the Navy/Georgetown hybrid option would all be looked at as well.

I think the admins at UConn are realizing now that even if the ACC added a 16th member, the chances UConn would be picked are very remote. Add in COVID and how much it is costing college athletic departments and it seems insane to continue to lost $30 million dollars a year in the hopes ND will join full time and UConn will get invited too.