UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley

Gotta give it up to our buddies in Storrs, they stepped up ($) and got it done. Great hire for them considering where they are now.

Gotta give it up to our buddies in Storrs, they stepped up ($) and got it done. Great hire for them considering where they are now.

My dog would have been a great hire considering where they are now. He's a golden retriever. Definitely smarter than their current braintrust.

Can't believe Danny Hurley is going from being the highest paid state employee in RI to the highest paid one (potentially) in Connecticut. I'm sorry, but Geno deserves that billing, and yes, I know that Hurley has a potential to earn more money from the NCAA by getting the team back to prominence. Once he does, you bump him up.

Who thought it was a good idea to pay Ollie $3.15 a year?

Hurley is possibly going to lose Jalen Adams as well this offseason in addition to Terry Larrier, who is going pro. He is starting from scratch at UConn. His best recruit for next season will be Sid Wilson who transferred from St. John's before the Fall semester began.

My dog would have been a great hire considering where they are now. He's a golden retriever. Definitely smarter than their current braintrust.

ihave.jpg

Can't believe Danny Hurley is going from being the highest paid state employee in RI to the highest paid one (potentially) in Connecticut. I'm sorry, but Geno deserves that billing, and yes, I know that Hurley has a potential to earn more money from the NCAA by getting the team back to prominence. Once he does, you bump him up.

Who thought it was a good idea to pay Ollie $3.15 a year?

Going to be funny when they are still outside the tournament in 3 years wondering why their self professed blue blood status wasn't enough. Ollie had a title under his belt, a sound NBA career and valued being a players coach more than anything. Those are all solid values for a young coach and recruiting wise he really couldn't do anything with it. Yet Hurley is going to right the ship??

Question for labor lawyers. Assuming Ollie wind, can he demand his job back?

Question for labor lawyers. Assuming Ollie wind, can he demand his job back?
No.
The union is fighting the termination with cause.
If they lose he would be terminated due to performance and would be entitled to his negotiation buyout.

3.1 million?

Wow UConn must have had a donor step up.
They can’t afford to pay 2 coaches 3 million.
Ollie is contesting the 10 million owed to him.

Edsall is making half of his basketball counterpart.
Hurley won’t leave UConn for another job but it will be interesting to see how he does.
Hurley can recruit and get the same players he would get at URI...maybe somewhat better. And he gets a huge pay raise. Win-win for him.

Based on the fact that he is a good coach and has Syracuse running through his veins

Hopkins didn’t either until Boeheim got suspended and he seems to be pretty good

Hopkins didn’t either until Boeheim got suspended and he seems to be pretty good

Hopkins was also the associate head coach, so he had experience doing a lot of things that Gmac hasn't gotten yet...

By the way, if you hit reply to someone's post, you can clearly show you are responding to their questions. New feature of the site and all.

Good. Good. Sounds like we have a good list for why Gmac would be a good coach so far.

1. He loves Syracuse!

2, Hopkins coached here too, and he seems to be good. Therefore Gmac must be good too.

3. Reasons!

I'm sold.

Good. Good. Sounds like we have a good list for why Gmac would be a good coach so far.

1. He loves Syracuse!

2, Hopkins coached here to, and he seems to be good. Therefore Gmac must b good too.

3. Reasons!

I'm sold.

You forgot 1.a. Both played for Jim Boeheim as well...

Hop was an elite recruiter.

I am done criticizing GMac for recruiting but he isn’t Hop as a recruiter

We can do helluva better for next HC than Gerry McNamara.
If he leaves and proves his talent okay.
If we hire a current assistant GMac would be 3rd behind Autry and Griffin.

Hopkins was basically running the ship under the figurehead for quite a while. Gerry is not going to be anywhere close to ready for that responsibility in 4 years.

$3.1M makes it a really attractive job. It's past success makes it a really attractive job.

But I also think coaches feel they can make any job an attractive job. There's a quasi-delusional element to being a D1 head coach. It's what makes some very good.

Whether UConn can win at a high level in a slightly above-average conference remains to be seen.

I agree with you but the fact remains that UConn still seems to be a very attractive job.

I really didn't know whether it was or not. I thought the Hurley decision would tell me a lot - and it did.

Now, can UConn get back to being what they were under Calhoun?

Different question. I do not think so. And I think that says less about UConn than it does about Calhoun.

Yeah, he had the Big East as a springboard but so did Providence, BC, Seton Hall etc...and none of them ever came close to what Calhoun did at UConn.

I think he has to be considered one of the all-time greats...he created a basketball dynasty out in the middle of a roadside manure factory...

I've actually ventured over to the Boneyard to see what their take was on the whole thing...amazing what some of them write about JB - especially that fat, Grateful Dead guy (cannot remember his handle) in the Duke vs SU thread...

Hop was an elite recruiter.

I am done criticizing GMac for recruiting but he isn’t Hop as a recruiter

We can do helluva better for next HC than Gerry McNamara.
If he leaves and proves his talent okay.
If we hire a current assistant GMac would be 3rd behind Autry and Griffin.

Was Hop an elite recruiter from the start? Gmac may get there, but the circumstances of only 2 recruiters on the road during the NCAA nonsense seems to make everything quite different from when Hop was doing it.

I get your point, but the use of absolutes when comparing guys in different times of their career seems off to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom