UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley

I don't get why you would choose UConn over a P5 offer, no matter what the state of that P5 program is. Unless, of course, that P5 offer wasn't really an offer.

Still, with the season URI just had, Hurley could have done much better, if not this year, then next.

Strike while the iron's hot. URI is not poised for the same success next season.

I don't get all of the excitement.

He played in the A10, which isn't the same A10 of old, and he was pretty good, not great.

He took over a bad Rhode Island team and he finished:

14T
2T (probably a fairly senior-heavy team)
3T
1 (very senior-heavy team)

He would have had a big drop off next year. Assume he finishes ~10 next year, and his 7 year conference average is about 7th place ... in the A10.

But then again, when you sue your last HC (who is an alum who won a NC), you can't really get too picky.

3.1 million?

Wow UConn must have had a donor step up.
They can’t afford to pay 2 coaches 3 million.
Ollie is contesting the 10 million owed to him.

Edsall is making half of his basketball counterpart.
Hurley won’t leave UConn for another job but it will be interesting to see how he does.

URI is going to be stupid and promote the lead assistant Stan Cox to save their recruiting class.
Cox is important for Hurley so if he gets the Rhody job that will hurt Hurley.

While some people here think we’re basically BC, I think most of us realize we’re a top 8 job. The only concern is whether SU will pay in accordance with that status.
We're a top 5 job.

You could argue Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, and UNC are better gigs (basically, overtly basketball schools that are elite enough to cheat like crazy)

But nobody else is better.

We're a top 5 gig.

We're a top 5 job.

You could argue Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, and UNC are better gigs (basically, overtly basketball schools that are elite enough to cheat like crazy)

We're a top 5 gig.
Top 10 job.
It’s the same thing though.

We will need a strong coach to replace JB though.
It’s always better to be the guy that replaces the guy after the legend.

We will attract great interest.

Hiring the right guy will matter.

UConn clearly not dead yet...

The fact that he choose UCOnn over an extension at RI, where he could bide his team and wait for something really attractive to open up (albeit taking the chance that the luster of his star may fade if he could not sustain the success) and over a more lucrative offer at p5 school shows that, at least in Hurley's eyes, UConn is still a really attractive job...

AS much as I loathe those dogs, I think Hurley is a good hire. Will be fun to actually play a decent UConn team since it seems like we have not in a hot minute.

Espn is reporting it’s $2 million a year. I haven’t seen the $3.1 million that someone else mentioned. If it’s $2 million Hurley must really want the easier path. How else do you explain taking 2/3rds the salary from a school in a really odd conference (being nice) that is potentially facing sanctions? Oh and the administration just fired a coach and are attempting to keep money he’s owed? Doesn’t make a ton of sense to me

I don't get all of the excitement.

He played in the A10, which isn't the same A10 of old, and he was pretty good, not great.

He took over a bad Rhode Island team and he finished:

14T
2T (probably a fairly senior-heavy team)
3T
1 (very senior-heavy team)

He would have had a big drop off next year. Assume he finishes ~10 next year, and his 7 year conference average is about 7th place ... in the A10.

But then again, when you sue your last HC (who is an alum who won a NC), you can't really get too picky.
That pattern looks like what you see at mid-major (or lower) programs. Bring in a group of young prospects/projects, throw them to the lions for a couple of years, hope that some grow into players as seniors, and finally compete at a high level with a bunch of 22-year-olds.

UConn clearly not dead yet...

The fact that he choose UCOnn over an extension at RI, where he could bide his team and wait for something really attractive to open up (albeit taking the chance that the luster of his star may fade if he could not sustain the success) and over a more lucrative offer at p5 school shows that, at least in Hurley's eyes, UConn is still a really attractive job...

$3.1M makes it a really attractive job. It's past success makes it a really attractive job.

But I also think coaches feel they can make any job an attractive job. There's a quasi-delusional element to being a D1 head coach. It's what makes some very good.

Whether UConn can win at a high level in a slightly above-average conference remains to be seen.

AS much as I loathe those dogs, I think Hurley is a good hire. Will be fun to actually play a decent UConn team since it seems like we have not in a hot minute.
Am I the only one that wants any Northeast rivals to burn? Seriously. the entire northeast base of school can suck it

$3.1M makes it a really attractive job. It's past success makes it a really attractive job.

It's past success is nearly exclusively due to one guy. That would give me pause.

We're a top 5 job.

We're a top 5 gig.

Just had this argument with friends via text about an hour ago. We all ended up in agreement that we'll be somewhere between 7-10 once the job is avail. Behind Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, UCLA for a variety of different reasons. We're in that next tier with Arizona, Mich St, Indiana. Then another drop off to Texas, Florida, Villanova, Ohio State. Might be missing a school or 2 somewhere but think we're safely in that high 2nd tier.

Some Husky fans are on edge, I’ve seen a few comments from you guys already about Hop, he’s not leaving after one year right? Unless I’m missing somethjng about the Pitt job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom